A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home Made Light Box.  (Read 4201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rydell
« on: September 28, 2007 08:39:10 AM »

I have been taking pictures of stuff for various projects and at first made a light box out of a plastic tub, poster board, and some fabric. The pictures came out decent, but it was so tiny.

So then I made this guy, out of PVC pipe, velcro, fabric and poster board. There is even a piece of wire across the top so that I can hang things from it with fishing line. I do need to get some brighter lights, since that will reduce the amount of adjusting in photoshop I have to do.

Pretty sweet huh? I LOVE IT!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 01:12:09 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007 08:50:18 AM »

That's a great idea. I'd love to see what the pictures look like when you use the box.

(I checked your blog but I couldn't find any)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Rydell
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007 09:01:22 AM »

How silly of me...

*scampers off to correct this*

There is now an example posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sezouli
False. Black bear.

I want to be slapped by an Epiphatree.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007 09:06:40 AM »

that's great! i just recently saw one of these in one of the catalogs I get int the mail (hammacher schlemmer I think) and it was like $90! I thought it was cool, but I wasn't going to spend that kind of $ on it, esp. since it's just pics of swap items I'd be using it for. But maybe now I will just make one! YAY!
-oh and the ice cream looks good!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 09:08:08 AM by sezouli » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rydell
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007 09:26:00 AM »

actually it was really easy to make. i think in all it cost about.... $25? i used a lot of velcro on it haha. the most expensive thing we had to buy was the glue for the pipes, but then again you can use that stuff forever...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nashira
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007 09:37:47 AM »

Excellent... I always love seeing people ramp up their photography to the next level... being a photographer and all. I love that you added a wire to suspend things.

I've seen this done before actually... if you want a less expensive version, you can just cut panels out of a cardboard box and tape regular copy paper over the holes. Works like a charm, and costs almost nothing. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 09:41:01 AM by Nashira » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rydell
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007 09:44:02 AM »

i saw that one actually and thought it was rad. however I wanted something that could be broken down if needed. the front and the back frames are the only things glued together, the center pieces i can remove so that this could be packed up easily without damaging anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nashira
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 09:52:32 AM »

Oh... I totally agree... I love that yours is more durable and portable (not to mention storable)! I'm a sucker for photography solutions that don't cost oodles, and are elegant and simple in their function.

I just wanted to mention to anyone out there that they can make something cheaply if they're not sure they want to invest the time and money into the more elaborate macro studio. Kinda like a try before you buy. Smiley

(sorry.. I wasn't trying to steal your thunder or anything... I'm just a photog who gets passionate about my craft, and I love sharing what I've seen with others.) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pharmgirl
Handmaker of all things!

I like makin' stuff. :)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 09:59:56 AM »

Your light box is awesome!  You should see my living room right now.  I have seven clamp lights with daylight light bulbs on my table.  It looks like a science lab at my house.  I take pics of my jewelry.  Daylight light bulbs are the best, because they don't give off a yellowish light like regular light bulbs.  They give off a nice, crisp white light.  I made a light box out of foam core from instructions off the internet, but I threw it away, because it took up so much room.  Here is a sample of what I get from just using a lot of good light, setting my camera to no flash and set it on micro and a little editing with my camera's software:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
Rydell
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007 04:08:36 PM »

sorry.. I wasn't trying to steal your thunder or anything...

Stupid thunder stealer...

Just kidding. I completely understand the whole trying new inexpensive things. Heck, when I was using the plastic clear tub, that was pretty good too, i mean when I was done using it, everything just went back into the box with the lid and all was good! I should have taken a picture of that one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Beanbag Chair
How to Make a Birch Bark Basket
How to Make a Doggie Bag Tote
How to Make 3D Felt Flowers
How to Knit a Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...