A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can't make lace to save my life!  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plague angel
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 04:43:50 PM »

are your instructions written out or charted? i knitted branching out from knitty with written instructions as my first lace thing and swore i'd never try it again it was so hard for me to keep place in the rows. i'd be checking back at the istructions every few seconds and still messing up! when i got over my fear and tried it with charts instead of written instructions it was so much easier. something about charts makes it easier for me to see where i'm up to in a row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

may you live in interesting times
crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007 04:57:02 PM »

Or perhaps try a really really basic lace stitch to start off with - one with a short repeat that's easy to remember.  I whipped up a scarf in faggot stitch which is the easiest most basic lace stitch I could find.

CO any multiple of 3
Every row:  k1, yo, k2tog

Good luck! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007 06:31:01 PM »

I find charts easier to use as I can be reading the knitting below the current stitch I am working on as I go, to make sure all is working out. Of course, YMMV, but it might be worth trying a short, charted lace repeat- even as a swatch with no purpose (so the columns don't bother you) to warm you up, or some facecloths for christmas presents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infantkittensyringe
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007 08:22:46 PM »

Don't give up! The first lace knitting I ever did was a big lace stole and it was a commission for a very picky knitter. I thought I would throw myself out the window I had to rip it out so many times. I forbade my boyfriend to speak to me while I was knitting it. I cried. I called my mom. I lifelined obsessively and counted after every ten stitches (I recommend this highly - it is slow and tedious and sucky but you don't have to do it forever) and cried some more. Some where in all of this, my brain figured out what certain things like left slanting decreases and right slanting decreases looked like. And then, one day, I had one of those demented knitter's epiphanies - I totally knew what I was doing! I could look at my work and see where mistakes had been made and I could pick back and fix them, and after awhile I could go many many rows without screwing up. Eventually, I even allowed my boyfriend to speak to me again.
Now, I will never ever go back. I love lace, more than cables even and regular ol' knit/purl just does not thrill me. Keep going and one day you too, will have the knitter's equivalent of a religious experience and be born again. You will walk amongst mere humans and think "Hah! You may be able to balance your checkbook, but I my friend, can make lace with two sticks and string! Cower, brief mortals!" (Now if I can just figure out fair isle...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007 09:55:58 AM »

I agree. I had thought to make a beatuiful lace cap /sweater for a baby gift, thinking I could knit lace. I had no idea! LOL I ripped it out so many times I gave up. Then I decided to knit branching out. Ripped it out about 50 times. Eventually I did make it! I think the note card thing is BRILLIANT (for me!) and I agree, make swatches, like wash clothes. Find a lace pattern you "get" and adore and then make the stole. You'll not be wasting your "good" yarn and you'll get to sample many lace patterns. Oh and you could always go to your LYS and ask for help?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 09:56:35 AM by Gomerriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007 08:21:33 AM »

I just wanted to share that I tried working with a chart, and it really works for me. Having the pattern in a graphic form helps me use the previous row to see where I am.
I am not going to attempt any especially daring laces yet, but now I have much more hope that I will manage before my kids all move out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007 09:18:48 AM »

Congrats! I'm glad you figured it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Your Lipstick Last the Entire Day
Hair Treatment Myths and Realities
J Lo Swears By This Highlight and Contour Palette
Ojos De Gato Ahumados - Laura Sánchez
Trend On Trial: How To Do 70s Glam Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...