A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tote and Wallet from playing cards- finally ETA pictures! (IMG chunky)  (Read 2350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superchloe
« on: September 27, 2007 04:01:43 PM »

So, I don't have any pictures yet. Sorry about that.
But! I was flipping through craftster one day, and found that someone had made a wallet from carebear playing cards. Upon seeing this, I attempted to make a wallet from regular playing cards. I came up with a wallet that was four cards wide with two pockets on either side and folded in half. Now this wallet was kind of big, and didn't fit in my pocket very well. I decided a trifold wallet would fit better, so I made one, but unfortunately these were normal sized cards so there was no space for pockets. I like the trifold better.

After making several trifold wallets, I decided to go a step further. Of course my friends had all seen my wallets and I'd given a couple to close friends, and one of them found an incomplete deck of red bicycle playing cards. I made a tote/purse. Of course I couldn't just make it plain and unfolding... so it collapses down. After sacrificing some cards to figure out how to fold the corner pieces, the bag took exactly 40 cards. Its three cards tall and four wide, and the strap is 8 cards long. Its big enough for me to carry my pencil case, calculator, a deck of cards or two, and my school agenda/passport/assignmentbook. I use it all the time. I go to the same school as stefferroo, who made the messenger bag of capri suns. We're really close friends (she introduced me to craftster) and I get asked all the time if I've seen her with her bag, lol!

Pictures will be coming soon, I promise!

Pictures have arrived! Sorry for the poor quality, but they were taken on my camera phone:

to show how big it is- just a teeeensy bit bigger than a playing card.

(the other side is just A, 2, 3, all diamonds)

dollar store cards, haha. I didn't do anything special to the inside.

Bag!

all my crafty materials- clear packing tape, some cards, the wallet pictured above Smiley again, I didn't do anything special to the inside.

the aforementioned folding of the corner, which took a couple cards and forever to figure out how high to make the triangle-y part

the bag in all its glory. I don't know why the lighting was so yellow... I alternated. On the side you can see, its red spot card, black face card, etc. On the other side, its black spot card, red face card. checkerrrrs Smiley

any new feedback now that you can see it?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007 03:20:00 PM by superchloe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAmadurk
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007 04:58:26 PM »

What fun! And good for you figuring out the corner business.  I haven't tried making a card bag or wallet yet--although both are on my to-do list. 

But I have noticed that Craftster has really changed the way I look at the world. I've never been anti-recycling, and even now I'm only average as far as filling up the recycle bin each week, but I keep grabbing odd items to use for crafting---decks of playing cards, empty food bags, the kids toys! I can't seem to throw things out so quickly now. OY!!!!!! 

Yep!  Definitely looking at the world through my craftster-colored lenses these days!

MAmadurk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007 06:09:26 PM by MAmadurk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
superchloe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007 08:12:22 PM »

eta pictures Smiley
If anyone wants instructions, I don't have any tute pics, but I make the wallets all the time and would be happy to take some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alyson630
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007 10:51:24 PM »

Would you mind sharing how you figured out the triangle-y part of the corner? I can't wrap my brain around it, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Dictionary
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 09:15:12 PM »

A nifty little trick for masking the back of playing cards when making a wallet is to take some colored printer paper and glue the cards to it with a glue stick or something.  Then, all you need to do is simply cut out the actual wallet and laminate, tape it, seal it, whatever and voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://cancasta.blogspot.com/">My Blog</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Better in Pictures
Death And Devils in 3D Stereoscopic Art
How to Take Your Own Passport Photos
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith WonderCon Interview
A Cheap, Easy Modeling Light For Your Speedlight
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...