A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,369
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lion Brand Microspun - Any Pattern Suggestions?  (Read 1302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alexandraf
« on: September 26, 2007 08:09:33 PM »

I have found myself in a predicament. I decided that I am not allowed to buy any new yarn until I clear up some space in my stash (i.e. finish some darned projects!)... and just today I frogged an almost-complete sweater/blouse. Talk about working backwards from my goal!

So, I have 5 skeins of a very pretty blue Lion Brand Microspun (100% acrylic) that I need to find a use for posthaste. My pattern hoarde is rather limited right now, so I figured I would ask you fellow Craftsters to make suggestions!

It is a light worsted weight, 19sts and 26rows = 4" on size 6 needles. If you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate them! I would prefer to make a garment (sweater, cardigan, jumper, skirt, etc) but any would be fine... also, free patterns are great, but I don't mind paying for them either. If anyone can point me in a good direction, I will love you forever!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
Bryndis
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007 10:17:08 AM »

I remember when I was looking at patterns for microspun I came across this.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/60433a.jpg
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60433.html

It's probably the wrong season for that though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007 11:09:36 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007 05:10:15 PM »

I used about 3 balls' worth of Microspun to make a shrug.  ("Full disclosure": that links to my blog and not a pattern.)  It's based on Knitty's Tubey, and is surprisingly warm-and-comfy.  I wear it at work whenever the A/C gets too cold.  My version does use a crochet edging but you could just make the garter edging about an inch wide to minimize the stockinette curling.  (I tend to make things up as I go along -- if you've got any questions, just PM me...)

A woman in my SnB made the pattern that Bryndis linked to and it turned out really well.  I think that Microspun would also work well with this pattern (it's free!) or this one (also free!) or this one (yep, free!) but I haven't tried any of them yet. 

Please post whatever you decide to make -- I've still got about 6 or 7 balls of Microspun to use up too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
alexandraf
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007 07:59:33 PM »

Thank you ladies so much! I actually started a project before I checked back here for replies... I started making the "Cupcake" blouse from SnBHH. (So far so good!)

All those patterns look so great, I'm tempted to go out and buy more! I definitely wouldn't mind giving a shrug like yours a go, it looks lovely (and only 3 balls! sweet!). I've put that lion brand ribbed sleevless shirt in my to-do list too... I think it would look very nice in brown or black.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Now I'll be in a hurry to get my current UFOs cleared out so I can buy more yarn and start a couple of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
designdiva18
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007 11:05:10 AM »

Just a word of caution....

I made a love pullover from a vogue magazine last year... the yarn it called for was Microspun. I used exactly as the pattern called for. The thing took forever and it looked beautiful at the end. The first time I wore it it was fine.... but by the end of the day it had stretched out a size. I tried reblocking it to no avail. I wore it once more and the sweater now literally comes to my knees... very disappointing. I did make a crochet skirt and it has held up better. So I would make something with a lot of structure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexandraf
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007 02:28:19 PM »

Wow... that's crazy! I was actually a little concerned that that might happen. I just finished the front panel of the blouse last night, and it seems so heavy. I'm afraid that once it's seamed and I wear it, I'll end up with a dress.

Now I wonder if I should frog it and start something else.  Undecided

Thanks for the heads up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007 10:09:31 AM »

Microspun is so much easier(and faster) to crochet than it is to knit, so I would say cupcake is a good choice for it. It is a really cute pattern, too. I had some microspun and it bugged the heck out of me, splitting, tangling, knot, ugh. *hugs her wool*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewluv
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007 04:29:29 PM »

You could do these:
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/873.html?noImages=0
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kms-rippleshawl.html?noImages=0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007 06:25:44 AM »

I knitted a skirt out of microspun and it has not stretched out, which is amazing considering my booty has expanded a bit since I knit it... ha ha.  The stitch pattern is a butterfly stitch and that might be holding the shape together a little bit.  You can see the FO on my blog.  (And yes, it is very heavy!)

The yarn was so much fun to knit with because it is so soft, but the FO pulls pretty easily - at the slightest snag one of those little microfibers yank out.  Nevertheless, I would knit with it again!

Good luck!

p.s.  I'm in your same stash predicament - no new yarn until it is down to a manageable size!  I think it is cosmically unfair!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007 06:28:51 AM by peps » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
fallencupid
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007 10:21:34 AM »

If you go to Lion Brand and look up their Microspun Yarn, it will list all the different patterns using that particular yarn. Of course they want you to register for free so you can access the patterns. But that might give you some ideas on what to make. Maybe someone already suggested that though.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Festive Holiday Hairstyles
How to Get a Quick Top Knot by Percy and Reed
How to Get a Quick Up Do by Percy and Reed
Amazing Celeb Hair Makeovers
Celeb Haircuts That Changed History
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...