A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,478
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a shrug of my own design (now with action shot, and a pattern-ish!)  (Read 4683 times)
Tags for this thread: shrug , shawl , wrap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monkeykin
« on: September 26, 2007 05:33:19 PM »

so, i turned nineteen in august. and was blessed with a gift certificate to my LYS. after having grabbed all of the stuff i absolutely needed, my Elderly LYS Owner friend and I commiserated, and decided that the rest of the certificate would be best spent on two skeins of Paton's Shetland Chunky, in this gorgeous shimmery leaf-green color. It was just enough to make this:

It's a basic seamless raglan, with a "snowdrop lace" pattern that I picked up from a day-by-day knitting calendar. (tacky? maybe. but so it is.) it comes to just about the bottom of my ribcage; a good shruglike length, I think. it's blocking as we speak; this was a just-off-the-needles picture. and I have no buttons for it as of yet, which is why there are no action shots. (it's a pity because it means you can't see the nice crocheted edging.) still, though; pretty sweet.

okay, new and improved! here is a picture of me wearing the thing, also it has some buttons on it:

pretty okay, huh? now, one poor soul asked for a pattern. i didn't use one, so that's a little tricky, and the beginner's raglan KAL might be more useful to you. but here's the general idea.

1. take a tape measure, measure around your neck/shoulders to see how long this thing needs to be.
2. get your gauge. multiply st/inch by the number of inches you just measured; cast on.
3. do some ribbing, probably. afterwards, divide up your stitches with markers like this: 33% of total stitches, + 2, will be for the back. 25% of the back stitches, + 2, will be for each sleeve. what's left will be the front. (it would make sense to have these front stitches be divided evenly down the middle, for the front of your cardi-thing.)
4. start knitting. for the raglan sleeves: on the RS, inc 1 on each side of each stitch marker. (there should be four of them.) on the WS, just purl. continue until the sleeve-area is as wide as your arms; i needed about 10 or 11 inches.
5. after you've reached the right sleeve size, put those on stitch holders, join the under-arm area, and knit til you're done. later, go back with some needles, rejoin the yarn, and finish knitting the sleeves.

as for the "snowdrop" pattern - i'm not very good at speaking in knitting, so i'm going to do this zimmerman-style and just talk it out. on the RS, figure out a place where you'd like a snowdrop-thing. (i spaced them more or less evenly across the thing.) at this point, SSK, and YO. do this as many times as pleases you. then, on the WS, when you get to the same spot, do this: P2tog, and by 2 i mean the YO and the stitch directly in front of it. then YO, then keep knitting. does that make sense? on the RS, you're going to slip the stitch directly in front of the YO, then knit the YO, then do another YO... it took me a few mistakes to figure out, feel free to experiment.

i hope that's what you all were looking for. talk to me about it if you wish! love, rachel.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 08:24:07 AM by monkeykin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog!

I'm monkeykin on ravelry
nel83
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 05:38:21 PM »

Very nice! Great job! I wish I had a LYS...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help! My Stash is trying to eat me!
shrtcke
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 05:43:23 PM »

love it! your shrug rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babyknit
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 05:53:27 PM »

wow it rocks!!!love the color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 05:58:43 PM »

Shrug...very cool, classy, plus love the color. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwcatz
RDA insanity!!!

Das feuer liebt mich

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007 06:22:52 PM »

I think it's lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No, I don't think I Can't Believe It's Not Butter tastes as good as real butter, and I never did, either. I guess that's the kind of thing that has always made me a social outcast." ~Richard Dean Anderson

http://www.wists.com/ravenwcatz
TreadmillKnitter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007 06:50:51 PM »

That is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny

Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TreadmillKnitter

Blog:
http://treadmillknitter.blogspot.com/

Her face is a map of the world...and you can tell that she's a beautiful girl.
AmyKT5
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007 06:59:26 PM »

Oooh!  I like it.  Smiley  Very pretty!  Once it's done blocking and you've got the buttons or whatever, can we see it on?  I always like to see how they look on the person.  Sounds like a good fit, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007 07:06:48 PM »

I'd love to see it on! Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007 07:11:25 PM »

That's really pretty! Love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Square Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...