A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yellow Homecoming Dressss [suggestions needed!]  (Read 2683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

franzilovescats
« on: September 26, 2007 05:11:34 PM »

hello craftsterz
here is my homecoming dress. this is the second time ive used this pattern and the second time i completely forgot to add the part that goes between the boobz and the skirt! i feel like its not fancy enough for homecoming.. any ideas to spice it up? and oh, how does the brown cardigan look with it? im iffy about that too Sad

here are the photos

and the rose-flower thing i made

thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
southern5footer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 05:19:13 PM »

Maybe incorporate some fancy bedding?
Pearls are in this year, spice it up by wearing a set of those?

Could you sew on a shear or silk fabric to the part under the chest to dress it up?

Just ideas?

Good luck. But it is a very pretty dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

franzilovescats
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 05:23:01 PM »

thank you! i have no idea why i didnt think of wearing jewelery! what a no brainer. : ) hah. im off to the thrift store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
breaksville
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 05:25:02 PM »

I love the flower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
franzilovescats
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 05:27:59 PM »

thanks! the flower was constructed by making a long, fat braid from the fabric then hot gluing it in a spiral! yay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeliaRana
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007 06:20:38 PM »

How about a long skinny scarf tied just under the bust line.  You could tack it down in a few spots to keep it in place. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyingtolive
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007 06:51:59 PM »

How about a long skinny scarf tied just under the bust line.  You could tack it down in a few spots to keep it in place. 

I was thinking the same sort of thing.  Like a piece of sheer yellow material or something that ties around the waste and is nearly as long as the dress.  I think the dress is very pretty.  I think you did a great job.  Also, if you are looking for dressy, I think the cardigan kind of makes it more casual.  Good luck!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilbandade
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007 07:07:18 PM »

i personally think the dress looks awesome as is but if you want to spice it up a bit why not a belt (thick or thin) around the part right under the bust? just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007 09:51:59 PM »

i personally think the dress looks awesome as is but if you want to spice it up a bit why not a belt (thick or thin) around the part right under the bust? just a thought.

that's what i was thinking - either something sheer and subdued or colourful and sparkly depending on your taste
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007 10:58:31 PM »

(Warning: I have a lot of random ideas, and to be honest, I really like the dress as-is, so these are only suggestions.) If you added a touch of a yellow satin ribbon or sash-thing tied around your waist, as someone else suggested, you'd add more detail to the dress. I love, love, LOVE the flower. Someone else also suggested adding beading... if you put a few seed beads in different or similar colors on the flower it'll make it more sparkly. If you're afraid of being too cold, or you just want something to wear on your shoulders, you could go with a vintage/knitted/crocheted shawl of some sort... I'm pretty sure you could get one at a thrift store, or maybe something of your mom's/grandmother's? Something in a lighter color would add more interest to the dress and make it stand out more instead of dampening the color of the dress.
Again, these are just suggestions. I really like your dress, and I hope you have a great time at the dance. Sorry I talked so much.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Style to Fall Outfits
How to Dress in NYC to Get Into Clubs
The Best NYC Shopping Neighborhoods
How to Add Style to Winter Outfits
The Best Shoe Stores in New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...