A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ALICE IN WONDERLAND  (Read 906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007 04:52:39 PM »

So heyyy. im trying to be Alice in wonderland this year. my bf will be the mad hatter. =D
So i figure hes doing a modern rendition of the hatta based on a graphic novel i found. So likewise i am doing an update version of Alice. i got the pattern for my dress. its reall simple Halelujah since im like a pattern noob. But the distinguishing part about the costume is the APRON. sooo hence i ask how do i go about this it seems simple a square for the front torso, a long rectangle for the bottom half of me a drawstring to tie it up. But the Ruffles? should i make the ruffles by ...s*** whats it called by....PLEATING the fabric enuf to make taht ruffly look around the edges???
like this>>>

is there a pattern imean buying it would be like ..i dunn ohow much. but u get my mind set here i want to make it (what else to do on craftster lmao)
Ok ladies get to talkin i wanna hear it all. paleeeeeeeeze.
 Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 06:25:40 PM »

That's going to be CUTE!

Ruffles are made by gathering, which I'll try to explain.

1. Cut a piece of fabric that is twice as long as you need the finished ruffle to be. It's okay to sew more than one strip together to get it as long as you need it--you'll not notice in the finished product. Finish one edge.

2. You're going to be working on the unfinished edge now. Use your basting stitch to make two unbroken lines of parallel  stitching close together but inside the seam allowance along the entire length of fabric. (Be very careful the two lines of stitching don't cross each other!) Leave a LONG tail on each thread so you have something to grab onto.

3. Once you have the two rows of basting, anchor one end by wrapping both threads several times around a straight pin to keep them from pulling through when you move on to step four.

4. Gently pull BOTH threads from the other end, moving the fabric gathers up the thread toward the end you anchored. You basically pull until it's the right length to fit whatever you're going to sew it onto, and

5. then go back and arrange the gathers so it looks nice and even.

6. Put right sides of your apron and ruffle together, pin, and sew. Voila!

Can you believe? I searched for some pictures online and found out there is a ruffle foot for your machine, ruffle tape, and pre-ruffled fabrics but no clear directions with pictures! It's not hard at all; just take your time and you'll be pleased to have made it from scratch!

I don't think you need a pattern...the gathered skirt of the apron is made using the exact same technique. If you can cut, gather, and sew, you should be golden! Hope this helped. Good luck!

I hope this helped!

NOTE: If you have a long long piece to be ruffled, you can gather from both ends toward the middle so you don't have to move the gathers so far. Just be careful to anchor the end you're not working on so the threads don't pull through, or you'll have to start over! (Don't ask how I know that.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007 07:01:21 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
latortuganegra

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 06:57:13 PM »

Thats was wayyyyyyy helpful. I understand how im supposed to do it so thats good thing. And as for that foot, lol i dont even know how to use my zipperfoot its so odd looking.
When im done with it all ill post pics thanks so much =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
graced

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 06:59:53 PM »

I hope it helps!  I did find a link to a pillow project with a different (and interesting) way to gather...you might like to try it. I might on a project sometime.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z7mdskHnuScC&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=how+to+sew+ruffle&source=web&ots=2JacQrxnjV&sig=COd1AyOkbWmnbDKr1Y7SGwbpbpc

Oh, and I have a box full of "feet" for my machine and try REALLY hard NOT to have to use them! I'm too easily confused!

I can't wait to see your apron! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
kimi-ko
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 11:57:59 PM »

ok im like a real newbie to sewing but i heard something about a cheats way to making ruffles using a overlocker =X
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 05:28:30 AM »

You may be talking about the method on the link I gave. It's something like this:

1. Cut your cloth as described above, finish one edge as described.

2. Between the unfinished edge and the seam allowance, place a strand of embroidery floss.

3. Holding the floss in place, carefully zig-zag (overlock) over it. You'd probably have to use a WIDE stitch to miss the floss.

4. Slide the fabric along the floss to gather it.

It sounds easy! I don't usually make ruffles, but I will be looking for something to try this on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

latortuganegra

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007 07:14:26 PM »

o00h embroidery floss. neato ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badluck
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007 09:52:06 PM »

I'm not sure what kind of stores you have near you but since you want the apron to be white anyways there are usually quite a few pre-ruffled trims (usually a type of eyelet like here: http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/lace/ruffled_eyelet/1831475.html) that you can buy and then all you have to do is sew the straight edge to the outside of your apron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 03:03:47 AM »

i do the same as graced only with dental floss instead (its easier to gather with cos its waxed so its smoother, and you end up with a slightly minty fresh apron
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007 05:53:57 AM »

Oh, most excellent! We have bags of those little sample dental flosses from the dentistsince he shares a brand/flavor no one here will use! I keep thinking I'll find something to do with it all, so I save it. Today's the day! I cannot wait. What can I ruffle?!!! Since I'm making messenger bags, I wonder....?!

I used eyelet one time on my daughter's Little Bo-Peep costume when she decided at supper that she had changed her nursery rhyme--and therefore her costume--for her kindergarten presentation the next day. It IS wonderful, and easy, and if you're lucky, CHEAP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrities Hair Stylist Ted Gibson Interview
Hair Style- Ted Gibson- Lela Rose- Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair at Betsey Johnson - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair Style at DKNY - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
How to Put in Hair Extensions at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...