A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Calendar Swap?  (Read 1628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neverseenblue
« on: September 26, 2007 05:53:52 AM »

I saw a couple of these swaps going around on various blogs last year, and I'm hoping maybe there would be enough interest to have one on craftster this year.

Basically we'd have a group of 12 (or multiple groups of 12 if there was enough interest) - and each person in the group would make a page for one particular month x 12. Keeping one page for their calendar and then sending the rest out to the other members of your group. At the end everyone would have an awesome, handmade, limited edition calendar. Grin

Hopefully that made sense!  Smiley I was thinking we could have sign-ups starting sometime in October and then send-outs no later than November 26 so that we can make sure there is plenty of time for everyone to receive all of their months before the new year.

Any interest?

(I'm also open to any suggestions/changing the time frame, etc...)

Here is a link to flickr photo pool from one of last year's swaps:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/97892872@N00/pool/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007 03:16:34 PM by neverseenblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 03:20:52 PM »

It's a great idea; it would just need to be clear who is mailing which month to whom, so no one ends up with a pile of Februaries! I guess everyone could pick a particular theme they want, and the other people could create something accordingly...so if you happen to like giant squid, here would be a full year of different people's interpretations/creations on the giant squid! Or it could be left for the crafter to decide what to make and send to each person. Sounds fun.

I'm all calendared out, myself, at the moment, after making a page-a-day calendar. So I can't commit just yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
neverseenblue
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 04:24:13 PM »

Yes, I definitely think the months would have to be assigned to each person so everyone ends up with a complete calendar. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 09:40:19 PM »

I would be interested in this.

Would we each craft the same month, just do it differently each time?

I don't have a preference, just curious.  Though I like the idea of everyone picking a theme and others crafting around it, though that could get difficult.  But it's an idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007 12:03:28 AM »

That sounds so awesome!  I love wall calendars, it would be amazing to have a handmade one.

So... if my month was June, I'd be sending a June page to everyone else.  But different for each person.

Right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
neverseenblue
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 08:31:05 AM »

Yay! I'm glad some people are interested - I was beginning to think the idea was dud. Wink

You are correct - if you are assigned the month of June you craft that calendar page for all 12 people in the group. I guess initially I was thinking that if you had the June page you would be making the same June page for everyone else so that everyone winds up with pretty much the same calendar. But if people are up for choosing a theme for others to work with so that each calendar page they make for their assigned month is different, and more personalized for their partners, I would be up for it too - I think that could be a lot of fun as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007 09:14:46 AM »

That seems easier than how I had it in my head - I saw everyone completing one of each of the 12 months, keeping one of the months for themselves, and then distributing the rest to the others. That option is more difficult logistically, but I still kind of like it.  Smiley  Each person being devoted to just one month would be good in that there would be less likelihood of getting months devoted to their obligatory generic themes (February=hearts and valentines day, March=green and St Pattys Day, etc). Nothing wrong with those themes, but if we're pushed to spend more time working on pages for a month, they will get more diverse and in-depth. What a great gallery it would be! In all likelihood I would sign up. I imagine 12x12" scrapbook cardstock would be the standard page size? If anyone wanted to do digital stuff they could just print it out on standard paper and attach it to the larger sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
neverseenblue
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 08:40:06 AM »

Does anyone else have an opinion about the page sizes? My only concern with the 12"x12" size would be finding an envelope large enough that would let it lay flat. Maybe that size is more common than I think though...anyone know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 09:39:23 AM »

I've shipped things in a padded envelope that big before.  Doing them smaller (maybe 10x10) would make it cheaper though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007 12:25:19 PM »

this sounds like fun !!!  I love paper crafts and this would be great!!! I can put to use some of that ephemera I have been swappin lately
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Filmmaker Malla Nunn Discusses Her Favorite Movie
Jeannette Walls Talks About Her Life
Bob Shepherd Talks About The Infidel Podcast
Author Jonathan Alter Discusses His New Book the Defining Moment
Visiting Author Jodi Picoult in Rome
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...