A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little boy in a Birds dress  (Read 2644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boingo82
« on: September 25, 2007 10:46:42 PM »

What can I say, I don't have any girls to model and sewing boys clothes is pretty boring since you can't play with necklines at all.  Roll Eyes
This was my first attempt at drafting sleeves, I wanted cap-sleeves that weren't tight, and I think it worked well enough.
Oh also there's a small gap in the side so the whole tie thing can flip to whatever side of the dress is facing out. Wink
On to the pics - and ignore my sucky lighting, I always finish stuff at night and my sewing room lighting is terrible.

Birds side:

Yellow calico (Charlie Brown!) side:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bananna_AnnA
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007 11:03:30 PM »

Those dresses turned out great!
And shouldn't all kids have the privilege of being raised in an environment without gender limitations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boingo82
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 12:02:11 AM »

It's just one dress in both pics.  Wink
And yes I totally agree about the gender thing. My boys can wear and play with and be whatever they want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charlotte5

I breathe to sew and sew to live

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 12:19:53 AM »

Great dress but totally disagree with you both on the gender issue but not sure if I'm contradicting myself because I'm still a tomboy at heart.  But isn't being a tomboy different to being a cross dresser? Huh  I do dress girly when the occasion warrants it but love my hoodie, combats and baseball boots to bits.  It's a topic and debate that will carry on into the night.  (I dated a T.V. - wasn't a nice experience.  I think I have come to the conclusion I like my men to look like men).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I make a mess something good always comes from it.
nemejia
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 05:23:50 AM »

cute dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007 06:17:29 AM »

Great dress but totally disagree with you both on the gender issue but not sure if I'm contradicting myself because I'm still a tomboy at heart.  But isn't being a tomboy different to being a cross dresser? Huh  I do dress girly when the occasion warrants it but love my hoodie, combats and baseball boots to bits.  It's a topic and debate that will carry on into the night.  (I dated a T.V. - wasn't a nice experience.  I think I have come to the conclusion I like my men to look like men).

I don't think letting your toddler model a dress is going to turn him into a crossdresser or a transvestite, but I digress. This isn't really the place to discuss children and gender roles.

But the dress looks fantastic! I think the second side is my favorite.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007 07:09:46 AM »

If I may ask, did you make it for your boy, or is it for something else?  Having two toddler sons myself, I can see the impulse (though I've heard Ottobre magazine has some cute boy's patterns, and Sew Beautiful magazine has some really cute labor intensive stuff for both genders (and all ages. I still have a pattern mod that I want to make for me from the one Sew Beautiful magazine I bought)).

He's a cutie, though, and the dress is cute, too.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007 07:13:30 AM by Muria - Reason: either I use too many parentheses, or not enough (left one off) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
pzazbags

Im addicted to bags!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007 07:10:19 AM »

To each there own I always say...

I love the dress. very cute...no matter who wears it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boingo82
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007 08:33:21 AM »

If I may ask, did you make it for your boy, or is it for something else?  Having two toddler sons myself, I can see the impulse (though I've heard Ottobre magazine has some cute boy's patterns, and Sew Beautiful magazine has some really cute labor intensive stuff for both genders (and all ages. I still have a pattern mod that I want to make for me from the one Sew Beautiful magazine I bought)).

He's a cutie, though, and the dress is cute, too.  Smiley

No, I don't make them wear dresses. They're really too young to decide if they want to buck gender trends. I just them to make sure I've got the fit reasonably right so I can eventually sell the things.

I'm not going to get into a tomboy = male crossdresser discussion, that could become a feminist rant and I'm sure it's not going to go over here. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007 08:49:48 AM »

I figured it was probably for a shop or a gift, but I was somewhat curious.  Because of the general lack of cute boy's stuff, I think there's probably a market for it (cute boys clothes). 

I've also made girly stuff for swaps that I tried on my similarly aged son, to verify fit (and to verify cuteness off the hanger). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Personalized Christmas Stocking
How to Make a Milk Carton Bird Feeder
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...