A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bizarro felting  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellenpdx
« on: December 12, 2004 03:30:15 PM »

Does anyone know WHY ON EARTH my 100% non-treated alpaca project GREW BY ONE-THIRD when I tried to felt it?  It's a hat done on 6pt needles.  I very dociley put it in a hot wash, with a teapot of boiling water, some detergent, and some towels. I was expecting little shrinkage, but oh my.

So I threw it on the stove for awhile, then back in the machine with baking soda and more towels. 

Did I not do the proper chants?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004 03:59:04 PM »

Thats really strange, I'm pretty sure alpaca felts ok. Hmmm...I bet it will felt this time around...sorry I really don't have any suggestions, but I feel for you!  Embarrassed
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellenpdx
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004 09:18:16 PM »

Throwing it in the dryer seems to do the best, in terms of shrinking it.  It went around in the dryer for awhile, got back to the size it was, and then a bit smaller.  Which is what I needed. 

An overly-technical person I work with told me that alpaca is not wool, therefore will not felt...I didn't point out to her all the places one can purchase felted alpaca products.  Oh well.  The lesson is, if you want to felt alpaca, don't get it wet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004 07:22:34 AM »

Any animal fibre will felt - in theory. Where is the alpaca from? Is there any chance it might contain a bit of nylon or acrylic?  What do you mean when you say "untreated" - not superwash or is it also undyed? If it has been bleached, before dyeing for example, that can reduce its feltability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004 08:04:14 AM »

Hmmm.  I have a possible answer, but not a solution.  From knitty's blocking article:
Alpaca gets weaker when wet. It has less memory than wool, and has a tendency to stretch out of shape, getting bigger. The weight of water in the garment while wet-blocking would make accidental fabric stretching more possible. I would pin the pieces out dry, and then get them pretty wet by spritzing, and then do any reshaping.
So, that's probably *why* it grew.  In future, maybe stick to wool/alpaca blends for felting?  The wool should give it enough strength to keep it from stretching out when wet.  And I guess you've discovered that the dryer is your friend when blocking alpaca.  Good to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004 09:25:07 AM »

Alpaca does really stretch out when it's wet, but I've never had this kind of trouble felting 100% alpaca. Normally, the friction, heat and ph change induced by detergent do the trick.  I suspect there's something else going on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004 07:31:34 AM »

Maybe it's a 'first it stretches, then it felts' kind of thing.  Maybe it just needed another run through the washer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
What to Wear on Thanksgiving and the Days After
Carbon Copy: Get January Jones Fall Look
Miranda Kerr Reveals Style Inspiration
Style Sound-Off: Jennifer Lawrence, Angelina Jolie, Liam Hemsworth
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...