A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Artist-Mother is hard to make for...  (Read 892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happify
« on: December 14, 2004 01:22:32 PM »

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have a dilemma, perhaps harder even than the dread boyfriend-present dilemma.  My darling mother is an artist herself and hard to shop for.  I've made her a bunch of stuff this fall, but when I make things, she likes to pick out the colors etc.  So it's not a surprise and she also loves surprises.  Perhaps I could enlist help?

Her stats:
Age: will be killed if I reveal, but an older baby boomer
Career: former art teacher, currently homeschooling youngest child
Hobbies:  avid tennis player, reads nonfiction (esp. occult, religious historical, conspiracy theoryish stuff),
Art appreciation: Sister Corita Kent; modern Catholic religious art; fiber arts; sculpture
Making art preferences: bright, vivid colors; Sister Corita Kent's work; art for art's sake; fiber arts
Making art dislikes: cutesy; measurements; preciseness; technical aspects
Fashion: mostly black accented with bright colors or else just bright colors

Any ideas springing to mind?  I'm thinking perhaps good books full of inspiration (rather than how-tos)...but what would those be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004 03:49:58 PM »

reads nonfiction (esp. occult, religious historical, conspiracy theoryish stuff),
Art appreciation: Sister Corita Kent; modern Catholic religious art; fiber arts; sculpture
Making art preferences: bright, vivid colors; Sister Corita Kent's work; art for art's sake; fiber arts
Making art dislikes: cutesy; measurements; preciseness; technical aspects
Fashion: mostly black accented with bright colors or else just bright colors

Any ideas springing to mind?  I'm thinking perhaps good books full of inspiration (rather than how-tos)...but what would those be?

How about some books of art history? Something like this (450 pages of art through the ages, arranged chronologically): http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=O9t1ff8plF&sourceid=00393694018350915972&bfdate=12%2D14%2D2004+18%3A45%3A27&isbn=0760755167&itm=2

And here is their whole section on Christianity & Art:
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?visgrp=nonfiction&N=1032579&Ne=369743+1032195+1032579&userid=O9t1ff8plF&sourceid=00393694018350915972&bfdate=12%2D14%2D2004+18%3A45%3A27

You could also include things like new artists paint brushes, canvases, etc. How about a "gift certificate" that will have you watching your sibling for an hour or two each week so mom can have time to paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Accessorize Your Bot
MakerBots and Students
Sewing Skirt Darts
Sewing an Invisible Zipper
How to Trace a Pattern Onto Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...