A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,462
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kanzashi How-to Movies!  (Read 32115 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snapcrafty
« on: December 14, 2004 10:45:20 AM »

I've been searching for a while for a tutorial on how to make Kanzashi and I see from a few older threads that some other people are as desperate as I am!  I haven't found one, but I found this site with some movies showing a Japanese artist making some Kanzashi. You can get the general idea from watching him. It's not at all how I thought you'd make them. Eh, what do I know?

They're the ones in the "13. Edo Hair Ornaments section"
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004 11:25:46 AM by snapcrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayfaery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004 11:21:46 AM »

theres also a book that comes up everyonce in awhile on ebay..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clayfaery
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004 11:44:55 AM »

I wanted to say thank you! the movies answered my one big question..they use glue!!! Like an idiot I've been atempting to sew them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snapcrafty
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004 01:25:56 PM »

I wanted to say thank you! the movies answered my one big question..they use glue!!! Like an idiot I've been atempting to sew them.
I know, I was surprised by this, too! So easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005 03:54:03 PM »

These movies were a real help. I am curious to know what kind of glue it is he uses in it. It seems to be a cross between rubber cement or silicon and wax.

Anyways I found this gallery of Kanzashi style flower pins that is very inspiring.
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/maya/english/enknshop.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005 10:12:02 AM »

If the glue was rubber cement or sillcon and wax - I doubt he'd be eating it - like he does in the videos :]

Most traditional Japanese craftsmen use traditional materials.  The guy in the video is using rice paste glue (hence why he doesn't hesitate to lick the excess of his fingers!  I do it too!). 

You can make your own rice paste glue using sticky rice (like sushi rice)....the only problem is it is time consuming and well, just don't puree it in your blender - it will kill it :] I learnt that lesson the hard way with a brand new ultra spiffy retro looking metal blender.  As a result - I've been put on a blender ban by my husband Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005 11:50:28 AM »

If the glue was rubber cement or sillcon and wax - I doubt he'd be eating it - like he does in the videos :]

Most traditional Japanese craftsmen use traditional materials.  The guy in the video is using rice paste glue (hence why he doesn't hesitate to lick the excess of his fingers!  I do it too!). 

You can make your own rice paste glue using sticky rice (like sushi rice)....the only problem is it is time consuming and well, just don't puree it in your blender - it will kill it :] I learnt that lesson the hard way with a brand new ultra spiffy retro looking metal blender.  As a result - I've been put on a blender ban by my husband Tongue

hahah I totally did not notice him licking the excess off his fingers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005 02:48:11 PM »

Yeah - if I didn't know what it was prior to watching the videos, I would have thought he was crazy licking the excess off like that!  I mean, you can get high on glue fumes...but EATING it?  :]  But seeing it is made of rice, it is all okay :]

I've tasted it myself - and it just tastes like very salty rice. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
fabricbunny
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005 10:38:57 AM »

rice paste or wheat paste are very easy to use and very strong. Most art supply stores carry wheat paste and here is a link for an online source for rice paste

http://www.artmediaonline.com/artProducts/viewProductInfo.asp?productID=21065

It comes in a powdered form and you mix 1 part rice paste with 6 parts water then you cook it slowly over low heat if you steralize a glass jar you can store it for quite a while in your refrigerator. Traditionally they are used in book binding however if you use habotai silk or any other light weight fabric I have found that rice and wheat paste hold really welll, just be careful about where you store your finished item as bugs are attracted to these adhesives. Oh and here is my favorite kanzashi site I love how she has made this traditional technique her own Wink

http://www.gaijingeisha.com/silk_kanzashi.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006 08:09:07 AM »

I'm a little late coming, but thanks for the link! I loved those little movies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Cutting Your Hair at Home
Finishing the Beyoncé Knowles Style
Curling the Hair - Beyoncé Knowles
Sectioning the Hair - Beyoncé Knowles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...