A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: civil war help  (Read 942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gomerriffic
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 24, 2007 06:19:24 PM »

Hi everyone! I have been commissioned to make some things for some friends and their family. They are a part of a civil war reenactment. One of the things they asked for was a crocheted/lined purse to carry their stuff that is obviously not period (phone, chapstick etc.) Can anyone help me find some free patterns. Even if it's a picture (as long as it's not super complicated) I would so appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just trying to find me...
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007 07:04:58 PM »

check out www.crochetpatterncentral.com, look under purses and possibly thread crochet.  also, take a look at "Gone With the Wind".  Melanie wears some crochet pieces, and i'm sure theres a scene (when they go to meet Ashley at the train station) where Melanie carries a little crochet bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007 09:05:57 PM »

Re: "Gone with the Wind," the book also refers to a gift Scarlett made for Ashley.  It was called a housewife, and IIRC it was sort of like a tool belt--essentially a fabric belt with pockets to carry sundries.  I think it was sewn, not crocheted, however.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamshistoric
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 09:20:46 PM »

Gone With the Wind (the movie) is nowhere on the line of accuracy, I'm afraid.

Gomerriffic: Try consulting The Sewing Academy; while it's primarily sewing, they will be wonderful resources in locating period crochet patterns that might suit your needs. A reticule is what you'd be looking for in this situation. See this] for an example of a crocheted reticule. Tassels were very popular.

If you can make up your own pattern or make another suit your purpose, crochet in the round until you make a piece large enough to be a hand bag that runs a drawstring through the top, and a tassel dangling from the center. Line to prevent any small things from escaping, and you've got a pretty handy (and undoubtedly lovely) reticule. Actually, I think I have a pattern book for some crochet reticules... let me go grab it and see

EDIT: the book I was thinking of is called Magical Misers' Purses, which are smaller bags for holding money. they are not reticules.

Oh yeah, they LOVED loud colors; but they did not have variegated yarn at the time. Red and blues did not hold their dye well, so they might not have been as popular.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007 09:29:01 PM by seamshistoric » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gomerriffic

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007 07:49:18 AM »

Thanks for all the help! I will definitely look into these! You know I've never seen Gone With the Wind! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007 09:04:41 AM »

lol. don't. my mom gave it to me thinking it was a great historical movie, and I was laughing at the inaccuracy the whole time.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gomerriffic

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007 09:30:56 AM »

I'm gathering that you are a part of the civil war reenactment? Aside from the purse, I'm also making the ummmm cannon guy's coat..ha(sorry forgot the name) dresses for a baby and a carpet bag. Any chance you know about this stuff too? I have a pattern for the jacket already.  Two families wanted to pay me to make this stuff for them instead of the "sutlers" because I can customize for them. (One of them is 6'7" so standard fit doesn't work well for him.) Oh and w/the purse, what fiber is used? Is there a standard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007 10:15:57 AM »

Yes, I am a reenactor  Grin alas, I pay most of my attention to women's fashions. I'd say the purse would be made of something nice like wool or silk, but if you want to go utilitarian and use cotton, that is acceptable. as long as there are no man-made fibers, I'd say you're safe.

The cannon-guy is an artileryman XD there's a board on The Sewing Academy specifically for men's clothing, and also children's clothing; they'd love to help you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Chelsea Cain Introduces Her Blockbuster New Series
Arun Gandhi, Bethany Hegedus, and Evan Turk on Grandfather Gandhi
This Woman Is Trying To Bring Attention To Female Genital Mutilation In US
Eating Wildly: Urban Foraging
Author Adelle Waldman LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug
Love Your Mother

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...