A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stained Glass Crafters in Japan (Misawa if you live near there)  (Read 1432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Azirel
« on: September 24, 2007 04:38:04 PM »

Hello! I am in misawa and have learned how to do Stained Glass. As such my Husband now wants me to make a picture frame out of stained glass but I do not know how to keep the picture in the area where the clear glass will be. Everyone I have talked to has said I need some tin something (i swear I'd know it if I saw it) but no one seems to be able to tell me how I would go about applying it to my particular project. it is not going to be square/rectangle in shape but an actual shape...actually it is going to be a very large Torii Gate with the picture between the 2 legs. We won't be putting a hanger on it b/c we are going to be putting it on one of those "plate" displays and we only want where the picture is (which is an 8x10 photo) to have a cardboard backing so that it can be set up in front of a window and allow light to go thru the Torii Gate. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you happen to live in Misawa and have access to Misawa Air Base I will be in the Arts and Crafts center.

On a side note would any of you know where in misawa or Hachinohe I can go to have a copy made that would be 16x14 inches in size? I would rather get a single sheet for my pattern than have to do the tape and laminate that I am currently planning on doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iggieb3t
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007 10:52:51 PM »

Hi !
What you could probably do is find a stained glass artist here in Japan who can help you out with purchasing the supplies you need.

I think there is one such artist somewhere in Misawa but I am not sure. She used to exhibit during the Patio Festa (- held at the Veedol Dome in Autumn - but I think this festival has been cancelled this year as I have not seen it posted in the Misawa Home Page).

Another option is to ask one of the craft shops in Hachinohe if they know any stained glass artist they can introduce you too.

I did a google search and found one - http://www6.plala.or.jp/nancy/ - scroll down on the left column and click on the "English here" for the translation. Maybe you can send her an email too - she gives lessons at her studio also.

Here is another site: http://www.yumeglass.com/einlish/index.html

Here is also a list of links you can go through -  I think it lists all the stained glass artists with websites (many links are broken though)... http://www.studiopao.com/links2.html (You may need a Japanese language font in your computer.)

Hope this helps even a bit. Good luck. Smiley

iggie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007 10:58:54 PM by iggieb3t » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Azirel
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007 03:07:41 PM »

Thanks. There is a stained glass artists here who comes and plays bingo but I only see her once a week but she has been of imense help. I am hoping she can point me to local places that sell supplies since the base craft store is so limited. I have gotten help from friend's back state side via the web and think I know how to make it work now. Now all I need is to find places to actually buy the stuff without having to drive to Tokyo or Hirosaki!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Conviction Book Trailer
Darkroom Book Trailer
Cassandra Clare on The Mortal Instruments
Tinsley Mortimer on Her Book Southern Charm
Bethenny Frankel on Her Novel Skinnydipping
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...