A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blank slate of a bedroom!  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 24, 2007 04:19:44 PM »

I recently moved out of my parents' house into my own apartment.  I was excited to get away from the clutter and awful wallpaper of my former bedroom, but I'm realizing that I don't know what to do with the space, now that I have it!   Roll Eyes  I don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to describe it as best I can. 

It's not a huge bedroom, but I have a twin bed, so it's not bad at all.  The floor plan says 13"x11"...I haven't actually measured it.  The walls and ceiling are white, and I think I could paint them, but I don't really want to mess with it (it's a rental apt).  The carpet is very light also.  The only furniture I have in the room is my bed and dresser (both are dark wood), a computer desk w/ computer, and a white cube storage unit that I'm using as a nightstand.

I recently bought a comforter at Wal-mart that I liked.  It's dark brown, and I was thinking of getting some pale blue sheets to go with it, but I haven't done that yet.  I have a good sized window that needs curtains (I just have mini-blinds now), but I don't know what kind of fabric to get for those.  It's not a very wide window, but it is tall, so it lets in quite a bit of light.  I'm terrible with decorating.  I like the chocolate brown/pale blue color scheme, but I don't really know how to use it effectively around the room, I guess. 

Any suggestions for curtains (or other decor) would be much appreciated! 
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007 12:42:23 PM »

I love that color combo!  Paint will always make a big difference in a room, but if you can't paint right now, there are plenty of other ways to bring in a color scheme.  I would do an online search for decorating tips, especially if you are looking for a certain style (french country, shabby chic, modern, etc.).  Here is a link for tips to get you started.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007 05:26:59 PM »

Ah, cool.  Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007 11:26:28 AM »

For your window covering you could get sheets from Wal-Mart that match the colors of the sheet and comforter on your bed, or find some fabric of similar colors maybe with some type of pattern on it.  All you would need to do is sew a pocket across the top and slide them over a curtain rod to hang. 

I don't think it really matters what type of material you use, it would just depend on how much of the light you wanted to let in.  When you see a fabric you like the look of hold it up to the light and see how much light it lets through.  If you used two colors I'd use the darker color on the outside and the lighter in the middle.  The great thing about sheets is they are already sewn and are super easy to make into curtains. 

Since the walls are white, if you didn't want to paint them you could paint your storage cube unit to add color to the room.   Find some great art on the computer and print it on photo paper, stick it in a great frame and voila!  I found black frames with matting at Wal-Mart for $5 each on clearance, I printed out 3 great colorful images of paintings I liked and hung them on the wall with colorful table runners behind them that I got from the dollar store.  The table runners add color and texture to the wall and help to highlight my "art". 

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make the Base for a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...