A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Boogie vest  (Read 362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2007 10:49:51 PM »

Hi!

I'm about to start working on Knitty's Boogie vest, when I realized something wrong: the Patons Shetland Chunky that the author uses and the Patons Shetland Chunky that I just bought are different gauges! Hers is 13sts/18rows on sz 10s, and the label on mine says 15sts/20rows on sz 10s.

I did email her about it, wondering if there was a mistake, but really, I'm guessing Patons Shetland Chunky is just not as chunky as it was 3 years ago when she wrote the pattern. I'm VERY intimidated about having to recalculate all the stitch counts.

Anyone else come across this, and have some info/advice to share so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
mooncalf
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007 02:02:26 AM »

I don't have any advice on gauge but I would definitely advise adding some waist shaping. I made this and it is about the least flattering thing I've ever worn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluesmom

See my work on Ravelry: ILoveMath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007 08:18:43 PM »

I knit this about a year ago using the same yarn... I never check gauge (c'mon, you know I'm not the only one), but it fits.  I don't have any pics because my mom is doing the crochet edging for me.  yes, it's taking her a year to get around to it... she thinks I should learn how to do it.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellygirlknits
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007 07:54:57 AM »

I would probably just do a quick check to figure out the bust size based on the gauge I got with #10's. It doesn't look fitted according to the schematic. I've not knit with the shetland chunky so I don't know if the yarn has changed. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmdm
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007 09:18:21 AM »

I'm guessing that she listed the gauge she actually got when she knitted it, and not the gauge listed on the ball band. Her ball band probably said the same thing, but different people get different gauges. I don't think I've ever gotten what was listed on a ball band. Do a swatch yourself and see if you can't get the gauge she listed. You may have to try a couple different needle sizes, but you should be able to get it.

Melisa
http://www.virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007 09:44:57 AM »

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

So, I did a little mini-swatch, and it is pretty much what was on the band, so I think I might knit the next size up, and it should work. I'm knitting this vest for my grandmother (it was the only vest pattern I could find that was not too complicated and ageless as far as its style), so she won't be particular about shaping and whatnot. It just needs to fit her and be warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Milk Carton Birdhouse
How to Turn Lightbulbs Into Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Wrap a Present Creatively
Quick Tips: How to Organize Gift Wrap Ribbon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...