A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats X 2, edited to add tutorial  (Read 1765 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

makeleveesnotwar
« on: September 23, 2007 12:14:20 PM »

Both of these are improvised using leftover yarn from other projects.

Hat #1:
yarn- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky, in Spice
stitch- half double crochet

/De

Hat #2:
yarn- TLC Essentials, in Claret
stitch- single crochet

Gratuitous Goofy Myspace-ish Pose

Edit to add tutorial:

I've never really written a tutorial before, I hope this helps. It's not stitch by stitch, mostly because I have no idea how to make a regular sized hat- I make all my hats really big to accommodate my poofy hair. 

1. Choose yarn and hook size.  I used thicker yarn because it would give me a thicker hat (and because it's what I had on hand). I think you could pretty much use any worsted weight to chunky yarn, and I would recommend using a size smaller hook than recommended to yield a stiffer fabric. If you want a floppier hat, you can use a larger hook and/or lighter weight yarn.

2. Choose a stitch. I picked half double crochet for the first hat and single crochet for the second because they both create stiffer fabrics.

3. Crochet a circle big enough to cover the top of your head, working through both front and back loops. (It's not really exact science, I know there is a formula for this somewhere, but I've forgotten it, and just kind of made it up as I went with kind of evenly spaced increases.) Oh, and I like to begin the round using the Magic Adjustable Ring Method- it gets rid of that pesky little hole that occurs with the usual method. There's a good tutorial on it at CrochetMe. http://www.crochetme.comc_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

4. Once you have your circle, crochet one round through the back loops only, without increasing.

5. Then, crochet through both loops again, but still without increasing.  This will form the sides of the hat. Keep going until you get the length that you want.

6. To make the brim, crochet one round through front loops only. Then, again working through both loops, crochet in a circle (with evenly spaced increases, or again, as in my case, just making it up as you go, with semi-evenly spaced increases, or not-so evenly spaced, which is why the red hat's brim is so wavy  Undecided ) until the brim is at the length you want.

Weave in ends, and you're done!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 01:13:20 PM by makeleveesnotwar » THIS ROCKS   Logged
IntrepidYarn
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007 12:17:44 PM »

These hats have a great shape. Congrats ! *hopes for a tut*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woohag
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 12:22:04 PM »

I really like the first one...hope for a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://whittsknits.blogspot.com

I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might wanna turn your head.  ~Ani Difranco
makeleveesnotwar
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007 12:43:53 PM »

Thank you, you guys!  Tutorial? Sure!   Smiley

I can't tell you stitch by stitch what I did, because I didn't write anything down (and I have to make my hats super large to accommodate the poof-age of my hair), but I can definitely tell you what I did step by step to achieve the basic shape. (It's actually really simple, but effective.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007 12:54:22 PM »

Those are really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hoodie That Lasts A Decade
Flint & Tinder Shows Off The 10-Year Hoodie
Olivia Palermo Goes Mod at the Louis Vuitton Maison Opening
5 Ways to Stretch Your Shoes at Home
5 Ways To Wear High Waisted Denim Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...