A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: celebrity christmas tree ornaments  (Read 2031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wannabesupercrafty
« on: December 13, 2004 09:55:26 PM »

my huge family just had our annual family christmas party a few weekends ago.  one of my cousins was assigned tree decorating so we all helped her. one tree we did a popcorn garland, another we did a cranberry garland and the last was sort of craftster-esque. we cut out celebrities from tons of magazines and matched them with people from our family (we would match by looks, personality, or name). then we pasted them on green and red poster board, labeled with the name of the party go-er, cut them out, punched holes and tied ribbon. voil! it was fun making the ornaments but our family really enjoyed it. they all wanted to see which celebrity they were. no photo, i'm sorry.... but the tree looked really cool with about 60 of these celebrity ornaments

haha... i was lindsay lohan (i wish!)

edit: it was SUPER cheap to make too. old magazines, some ribbon lying around and 2 posters!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004 09:57:10 PM by wannabesupercrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
larew
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004 09:24:45 AM »

That sounds like fun. I have a question about the cranberry garland. I've been wanting to make this for my tree but... won't the cranberries rot?? Do you seal them with something? Also does the popcorn garland smell? I have visions of my house smelling like a movie theater. Sorry for the silly questions, I think these would look great on my tree, but I'm scared. Educate me please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alix
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004 10:59:00 AM »

Larew, I can't speak for cranberry garlands, but with popcorn, keep in mind that you're not necessarily trying to make it taste good. So, you can air pop it and skip any additives -- like butter -- that have the potential to go bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
larew
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004 12:50:20 PM »

true... thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lrschic
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004 05:53:50 PM »

Also does the popcorn garland smell? I have visions of my house smelling like a movie theater.
At Christmas I get together with my high school friends to have a Secret Santa party and we always make popcorn garland using kettle corn. It doesn't have the butter on it, so it won't smell bad (unless you burn it obviously) but we also think it tastes better--good for popping a few into your mouth between stringing them. Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."~ Roald Dahl

My website: www.craftemagee.com
wannabesupercrafty
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004 10:10:32 PM »

larew-- as for the cranberries rotting... we strung them a whole week before the party so by partytime they were shriveled but still recognizable..... next time i would not string them so far before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004 11:58:37 PM »

Unless you live in a very humid climate, the cranberries should be fine.  Here in Nebraska, it's very humid in the summer, but in winter, especially with the furnace running, it's gets very dry.  The cranberries just dry up.  We made a garland with cranberries AND popcorn a few years ago and had it on our tree from Thanksgiving to New Years with absolutely no problems.  The whole, fresh cranberries just dry up.  (We have an air popper.  That's right, we make our popcorn the old-school way.  Well, not the old old-school way, a la stove top, but still.  Much better than microwave popcorn.  Just air pop some Orville, scoop out a bowlful and add butter, then string the non-buttered stuff while eating the buttered.  yum!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
libra

He's so in touch with his innerfish.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004 08:29:47 PM »

our microwave door broke almost a year ago now (holy smokes, a year!) and we have this TINY little kitchen so I decided to go without a microwave for a while  (oh that blessed extra counter space and the now empty outlet).  The only thing we missed was popcorn, and since an air popper takes up counter space as well, we were kind of sad.

Until we discovered that they still make Jiffy Pop!  Hurray for that space-age-retro aluminum-foil balloon!

I'm glad your ornaments were a hit, maybe you've spawned a new family tradition!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004 02:52:24 PM »

when I went to Cape Cod, we picked wild cranberries and planned to make a garland. Since that was in October, the cranberrys went bad. Does anyone know a way to preserve them?

By the way, the celebrity thing sounds cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer-Savvy Braids Trend
Olympics-Bound Swimmers Share Their Wildest Hair Tips
How to Get an Aviator Hairstyle
Hair How To: The Modern Quiff
A Hassle-Free Routine For Getting Rid of Split Ends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...