A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting with toddlers  (Read 850 times)
Tags for this thread: kids_craft  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 23, 2007 08:19:34 AM »

I couldn't find another thread on this topic...
So here I am.

I already found that my two year old enjoys drawing side by side with me.
I would really like to expand the repertory of things that we can do together. What other crafts can I teach her at this tender age?
Practical tips and links to stuff are more than welcome.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007 10:26:11 PM »

I did not look through all of this so I do not know if it is all age appropriate, but maybe this can give you an idea or two
kids craft ideas
I will let you know if I come across anything else in my internet meanderings Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
brookem
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 10:41:03 PM »

this is the age when kids stop drawing abstract scribbles (not that those aren't delightful) and start drawing objects- i love how they produce 'cubist' pictures before they get the hang of perspective. actually, drawing along side you is probably the best way for your daughter to learn. i regularly look after my 5 year old cousin and i am always amazed at just how fast she learns things. and its actually a lot of fun to draw with kids.

other projects to do together could include threading beads, painting, using safety scissors, maybe making godseyes from yarn and popsicle sticks. if you have a concrete drive way then you can have a lot of fun with a bucket of chalk.

i remember making a lot of crowns as a kid- a strip of decorated card which was taped to form a head band. we also had this massive roll of butchers paper. my sister and i used to lie on the paper, draw around ourselves and then colour them in. and my dad used to bring home appliance boxes (you can find them behind appliance stores- they just throw them away) and we would turn them into houses and castles.

for birthdays and holidays have your daughter decorate little squares of paper (about 3 by 4 inches) then glue them to the front of folded pieces of card stock to make greeting cards.

at a later age you could do some sewing with sack cloth, yarn and a dull needle (i really used to love doing this as a kid). get some burlap and draw a line image on it with a permanent marker.

silk screen prints are fun to make also- you cut out paper shapes and place them on a larger sheet of paper. then you put down the screen and spread out the paint. when you lift the screen you are left with white areas where the cutouts were. you can let the paper dry and then print on top with another colour.

you can also make stamps out of pieces of kitchen sponge- stamp them on to paper with poster paint.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Nini Makes
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 06:31:01 AM »

If she's already enjoying drawing alongside you, then I suggest getting a spiral bound sketch book for her (at least 8.5 x 11 or A4 size). Great for little drawing sessions, with you or on her own. It can act as a kind of journal - she can also stick things inside, decorate the cover, etc. It's a great keepsake, then date it and get a new one when it's full.

Also sticking and pasting sessions are fun and only require bits you have around the house, paper and a glue stick - if your using just paper.

Try this: Tear out lots of magazine pictures of animals and people, then cut them into different body parts. ie. heads, arms, legs, tails, etc. Let her glue them into place all jumbled up to make her own
little beasts. My daughter used to howl at laughter at her results.

Or, do mosaics with white glue and beans in various colours. Just Draw a simple shape, ie. heart, star, tree, etc. and let her fill it in by glueing different dried beans & pasta.

Here are a couple more ideas at my site that can easily be adapted to two year olds.

http://ninimakes.typepad.com/nini_makes/2007/09/tutorial-fun-re.html

http://ninimakes.typepad.com/nini_makes/2007/08/bracelet-tutori.html

Hope this helps, check my site now and then as I often add tutorials for children and adults (I'm a primary school art teacher.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making quick, easy projects - who has time for anything else? Love simple sewing, crafts, and kids stuff as well as creating tutorials and patterns. http://ninimakes.typepad.com
yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007 10:02:52 AM »

Thanks for the great ideas!

Now all I need is not to be grounded with two sick infants, and I will be able to start experimenting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
bonniegrrl
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007 10:49:27 AM »

I run the kids craft section here if you want to take a look for craft ideas for toddlers -- especially if they are into Star Wars:
http://www.starwars.com/kids/activity/crafts/archive.html

Also you might find some fun stuff from this great Kids Craft newsletter here:
http://www.kidscraftweekly.com/

Hope that helps! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007 01:48:35 AM »

I couldn't find another thread on this topic...
So here I am.

I already found that my two year old enjoys drawing side by side with me.
I would really like to expand the repertory of things that we can do together. What other crafts can I teach her at this tender age?
Practical tips and links to stuff are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Not sure where you live. There are some mini art school that are have kids class. It's like a building that provide hobby classes for kids, such as drawing, music, dance, etc.

Some art school has some early kids (like 2yrs old) art class that has fusion in some children psychology concept in it. And they know how to inspire the kids, make it fun etc. Also sometimes parents is part of the attendant (well, to sit beside the kid and take care of them).
I think this can be a good way for children to learn art AND also at the same time learning to communicate with other children (while feeling safe, coz mother is sitting beside them)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007 08:27:46 PM »

I actually got out my good watercolors with my (then) 2 & 5 year olds- I was amazed at what my two did- she carefully experimented with mixing colors and filled the entire 18x 24 piece of paper with neat little blobs of color- not a square inch of white left.

I let my kids do all kinds of 'advanced' stuff, but:
* my kitchen floor is tile,
* they know the rules about where stuff goes & where they can do art,
* there's only two of them,
* we have a good stock of aprons & paint tees so messing up clothes is not an issue (if its really messy I strip them to their underwear first, then apron them)

We have done : watercolor painting, shaving cream marbled paper, tye dye, batik (really, Li'l Dipper mini crock pot is perfect), polymer clay, outdoor painting on their playhouse (it needed a fresh coat of paint), lots of cutting and pasting, and I've sewn at my machine with each one on my lap- but not both at the same time!

Just cover the floor & the kid & go for it! : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAmadurk
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007 09:03:47 PM »

String cheerios and/or fruitloops for a homemade edible necklace.

Make pictures using dots---those round colored stickers people use for pricing items at yard sales.

finger paint---then when dry use them to make book covers or giftwrap---or frame it!

Make pencil cups using a recycled container.  Tear off strips of masking tape and completely cover the container, letting the strips overlap a tiny bit.  When completely covered, use a marker or shoe polish to "paint" the whole thing. Looks like "faux" leather.

JacquelineEnthoven has a book called "Stitchery for Children" (or close to that) She indicates that at this age, needlework is strictly a "joy of doing" project.  She also gives lots of neat suggestions for making the experience successful for kids of various ages and abilities. (Frex: using hardware cloth instead of fabric--cover edges with tape, no need for a hoop...or for that matter, you might not even need a needle.) Look for it at the library.

MakingFriends.com has lots of neat stuff little people can do---although their site has gotten so big (and now they have a store) that I don't enjoy browsing there as much as I use to.

MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
DaisyAlly
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007 01:52:30 PM »

I would definately recommend painting. You can start with water colors since they are a bit more forgiving in the mess department, but definately get some washable paints, (Walmart and Target have Crayola ones for cheap), and let them go at it. My little one really likes painting the little figurines, which are also cheap. I just lay down an old shower curtain in the kitchen and she paints on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ribbons into Bows
How to Wrap Flowers
How to Gift Wrap a CD
How to Gift Wrap Small Items
How to Wrap Gift Baskets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...