A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP with Beth Doherty's robot pattern  (Read 1654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ainadaliel
« on: September 23, 2007 03:38:40 AM »

Okay, in the robot pattern she wrote in CRAFT 1, it says "inc 3 evenly spaced: 54 scs."

What does that mean? I've tried increasing by three then doing 3 scs in each row, but I never end up with 54 scs! Please help! Sad Doherty's patterns are always the hardest to understand!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffy482
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007 08:54:39 AM »

That basically means you increase (2 sc in one stitch) three times evenly around.  For example, if you have 12 sc, to increase 3, you have 3 sc between the increases (2 sc in one sc).  You would then have 15.

I hope that kind of makes sense.  It's kind of hard for me to explain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ainadaliel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 11:46:51 PM »

That basically means you increase (2 sc in one stitch) three times evenly around.  For example, if you have 12 sc, to increase 3, you have 3 sc between the increases (2 sc in one sc).  You would then have 15.

I hope that kind of makes sense.  It's kind of hard for me to explain.

Ooooh thanks, Tiffy482! I had to write that out on paper with diagrams...I think I'm just really slow nowadays! Thanks again!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 11:55:39 PM by Ainadaliel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 07:39:22 AM »

That exact thing is why I keep a calculator in my crochet bag.
If you take yours out and divide 54 by 3 what do you get? 18. Now take away 3 of those and that's how many you need in between your increases, 15 stitches. Smiley
the three you took away after dividing represents your increase stitches becasue if you increase 3 times you add 3 stitches.
Hope that helped an made sense! lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ainadaliel
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007 07:37:37 AM »

Okay this is a really retarded follow-up question...so I did the whole "3 sc even increase" thingy...so I did 2 sc in one sc, sc in each 3 scs, then 2 sc again in the next...did this for 7 rounds, making sure to count evenly. So after frogging twice, I still end up with this weird round thingy:

This can't possibly be right! Can someone help me? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007 11:12:57 AM »

Usually when it's ripply like that, you're not in gauge. I'm presuming (not having seen the pattern) that it's supposed to be flat.  Generally, when it's not flat, there's too many stitches to lay flat (either because your gauge is off, or the pattern's off, or both).  Did you do a swatch with the yarn and hook you're using now? I doubt Beth Doherty is going to come to your house to tell you off for not using the pattern exactly as printed.  Smiley

Personally, the last time I did something like this, I just decreased the increases until it would lay flat (in that case, instead of 2 sc in each stitch around, I did 2 sc, sc, sc, repeat around, and it flattened out fine).  It's really up to you whether you want to alter the pattern, or play with gauge. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
StarKat98
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007 12:44:08 PM »

How many increases are you putting in each round?  It sounds like there should only be three, so your rounds would have a stitch count of ... 45, 48, 51, 54... and so on.  The 'ripplyness' almost looks like too many increases.  If that's the top of his head, it should be more 'bowl' shaped.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007 01:17:10 PM »

That exact thing is why I keep a calculator in my crochet bag.
If you take yours out and divide 54 by 3 what do you get? 18. Now take away 3 of those and that's how many you need in between your increases, 15 stitches. Smiley
the three you took away after dividing represents your increase stitches becasue if you increase 3 times you add 3 stitches.
Hope that helped an made sense! lol.

If you're dividing 54 by 3 (getting 18), shouldn't you just be subtracting 1 (because you're doing it 3 times), getting 17 between stitches?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Ainadaliel
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007 07:05:35 PM »

WAAAAH I'm confused!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007 04:12:58 AM »

It's kind of hard to tell where you're getting stuck since I don't have the pattern myself.  However, what you said:

so I did 2 sc in one sc, sc in each 3 scs, then 2 sc again in the next
will only work with the 3 sc evenly for a 12 stitch row. You have to adjust each row based on the number of stitches if every row is supposed to have 3 sc increase evenly.  So each row you make after the first one, you add one sc between the increases (This row is 2 sc in one, 3 sc, 2 sc in one, etc.  Next row would be 2 sc in one, 4 sc, 2 sc in one, etc.).

Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Walter Stahr on His Book Seward
Philippa Gregory Discusses Her Audiobook Changeling
Two Foot Fred Official Song and Book Trailer
Cassandra Clare on Writing City of Lost Souls
Arthur Brooks on His Book the Road to Freedom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...