A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Framed Silhouette Family Photos w/ Tute  (Read 2528 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amyracinrose
« on: September 22, 2007 08:25:10 PM »

I got this idea from Adorn magazine several months ago.  I actually finished all of these a good month or so ago as well.  I still have two more that I want to finish.  All I did was take a silhouette photo of the person or pet.. print it the correct size and then use transfer carbon paper to transfer it to the scrapbook paper I wanted to use... then cut it out and pasted it to the background paper.  The frames were all various colors.  I painted them all white with some handy spray paint and voileau!  So far, the ones that are done are my Mom, all three dogs.. Angel, my cockapoo, Kooty and Isky our yorkies and Georgie.. our cat.  The two that I'm working on are now are my Dad and myself.  I've hung them up in the bedroom right now.. but I don't have all of my furniture in there yet.. so new big picture pics... I'll post some later once I've completed the bedroom.  I hope ya'll enjoy!

My Mom

Kooty.. one of our yorkies

Isky, our other yorkie.. I like to call her the spoiled little brat lol

This is Georgie.. our cat. 

These two are of Angel.  The larger one of her sitting on the table I just haven't hung because it needs two nails and well I guess I'm just being lazy about it lol.  Besides, I kind of think it's cute on the table where it is. 

Thanks!!

Amy Rose

Okay, so these are really simple to make.  You just have to patient when cutting out the silhouettes.  So, here's a step-by-step for any of you ladies who are interested in making some silhouettes of your own friends or families.

Step 1:  Take a photo of your subjects profile in bright lighting... or you can use a photo you already have if you think you can outline their profile easily enough. 

Step 2:  What I did next was upload the photo onto the computer and simply insert it onto a page in Microsoft Word.. I just used Word because it's simple and easy for me.  Then I would just stretch the picture to the desired size.  You might have to print once or twice till you know for sure what size you want. 

Step 3:  Now with the photo in the desired size, I would take a sheet of carbon transfer paper and put it beneath the photo.. and then the scrapbook paper that I decided I want the silhouette to be made out of beneath the transfer paper.  Now all you have to do is simply trace the subject's profile. 

Step 4:  At this point I would normally use one of this nifty little craft knives.. it's easy to get the tiny crevices.  Or you can use a small pair or scissors.. whichever is easier for you.  Carefully cut out the subjects silhouette.

Step 5:  Next, simply rub the back of the silhouette with a gluestick and then paste it onto the background piece of scrapbook paper. 

Step 6:  Insert the picture into the frame and voileau!  Beautisimo!  Lol

Note:  For the frames... I just used several different frames that I got on clearance at stores due to scratches and other slight damage.  I sprayed some primer on them, and then spray painted them all white so that there was still some sort of uniformity to them.. the white draws them all together.  That also allows you to be able to play with all sorts of different papers.. mixing unusual colors together and whatnot.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 03:21:54 PM by amyracinrose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new blog, Swell Stitches!

http://www.swellstitches.typepad.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 08:52:12 PM »

That's an awesome, awesome idea! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007 10:31:33 PM »

That's a great technique and very nicely done by you.  I'm inspired to do some of these of my kids.  Another item on my crafts-to-try list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
MyWitsAnd4

do i gnome you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007 11:31:23 PM »

serious love.  i am crazy about your paper choices too! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007 05:25:10 AM »

Those are awesome!! I LOVE the one of Georgie and the contrast between the two papers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jdearien
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007 06:20:53 AM »

love this idea and you did a good job too! I would love to do this of my grandkids. would you mind a step by step tute?? TFS, Janie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007 08:51:16 AM »

I love this idea, and your execution of it is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
craftladyofsteel
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007 11:20:04 AM »

These are divine!! I just love them. It seems I am not the only on you inspired. Your paper choices were beautiful. I can't wait to try it. thanks for posting. this rocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enakitty
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 05:48:39 AM »

thanks for the tutorial!
it's so simple-yet i'd have never thought of it!

i can't wait to try it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

6in1
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007 06:21:32 AM »

Thanks for the tute.  I can't wait to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Runway Beauty Look at Home
2013 Prom Hairstyle Trends - Selena Gomez, Victoria Justice, Lea Michele
Spring Hair Tips From Celebrity Hairstylists
AXE HAIR Spring Styles
Highlight Your Hair Without Any Damage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...