A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann Peruvian Pure Alpaca - Anyone used this?  (Read 481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

derfburg
« on: September 22, 2007 07:13:48 PM »

I was planning on Misti Alpaca for a Christmas gift but my LYS is 2 skeins short.  Anyone tried the Elann alpaca?  I have not tried any elann yarns.  Are they comparable to knitpicks...nice but not really luxurious? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clicksticks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 10:08:55 PM »

I used the alpaca to make a pair of gloves for a friend a while ago.  It was really pretty nice and soft.  Probably not nice as the misti stuff, but still good--I think I definitely go my money's worth.  In general I think elann is a little bit nicer than knitpicks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 12:38:06 AM »

I just used it! I loved it. A teensy bit splitty, but not too bad. But, I definitely feel like I paid a good price for what I got.

Also, HOLY MOLY does that yarn smell when it's wet! I've never made a big project in alpaca before, and the smell in my bathroom was amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
derfburg
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007 06:17:49 AM »

Thanks for your input guys! 

I am going to check with my LYS on Monday and if she can't get it in in a couple of weeks I will order the elann.  I am really trying to buy from her b/c she is newly opened and I want her to stay here.  If nothing else I may order the elann to make a sweater for DD.  I hate spending $$$ for baby sweaters and that stuff looks like a bargain!

I am always just a *tiny* bit disappointed with KP yarn (though I LOVE their needles) so it is good to know that elann may rate a bit higher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007 12:03:29 PM »

I loved it - almost buttery, it was so soft.  But it's listed as a worsted weight, and to me, there's no way it's more than a DK.  In general, whatever weight elann describes their yarns as, I notch it up a category.  Love their colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dramageek
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007 09:27:23 AM »

I've had some of this in my stash for ages - I finally used it recently for some cabled handwarmers. I really like it, especially for the price. It's soft, the colors are great, and it showed off the cables nicely. I would agree that it's more of a DK weight, though, which I believe would make it a good sub for the Misti Alpaca.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Perfect Pedicure at Home
Great Products to Protect Your Skin
Getting Sexiled
Ask An A-Lister: Beau Mirchoff
Carmen Styles Three Outfits For Summer!
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...