A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann Peruvian Pure Alpaca - Anyone used this?  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 22, 2007 07:13:48 PM »

I was planning on Misti Alpaca for a Christmas gift but my LYS is 2 skeins short.  Anyone tried the Elann alpaca?  I have not tried any elann yarns.  Are they comparable to knitpicks...nice but not really luxurious? 
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 10:08:55 PM »

I used the alpaca to make a pair of gloves for a friend a while ago.  It was really pretty nice and soft.  Probably not nice as the misti stuff, but still good--I think I definitely go my money's worth.  In general I think elann is a little bit nicer than knitpicks.

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 12:38:06 AM »

I just used it! I loved it. A teensy bit splitty, but not too bad. But, I definitely feel like I paid a good price for what I got.

Also, HOLY MOLY does that yarn smell when it's wet! I've never made a big project in alpaca before, and the smell in my bathroom was amazing.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007 06:17:49 AM »

Thanks for your input guys! 

I am going to check with my LYS on Monday and if she can't get it in in a couple of weeks I will order the elann.  I am really trying to buy from her b/c she is newly opened and I want her to stay here.  If nothing else I may order the elann to make a sweater for DD.  I hate spending $$$ for baby sweaters and that stuff looks like a bargain!

I am always just a *tiny* bit disappointed with KP yarn (though I LOVE their needles) so it is good to know that elann may rate a bit higher.
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007 12:03:29 PM »

I loved it - almost buttery, it was so soft.  But it's listed as a worsted weight, and to me, there's no way it's more than a DK.  In general, whatever weight elann describes their yarns as, I notch it up a category.  Love their colors.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007 09:27:23 AM »

I've had some of this in my stash for ages - I finally used it recently for some cabled handwarmers. I really like it, especially for the price. It's soft, the colors are great, and it showed off the cables nicely. I would agree that it's more of a DK weight, though, which I believe would make it a good sub for the Misti Alpaca.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ice Cream Sundae from Carnations
How to Create Holiday Wreaths
Homemade Halloween Costumes
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...