A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! *sitting in a chair glaring at my kromski loom still in box*  (Read 4193 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: September 22, 2007 10:15:46 AM »

WHY did I do this?

I went to the fiber fest and like a dope bought a rigid heddle loom.  I wanted to weave (having just conquered the world of spinning this year) and knowing very little about the whole thing, I asked around, looked around and decided to purchase the kromski harp loom- 24"

I was very excited at first, until I realized that I know nothing about looms and what I can do on this thing.  So, I sit here day after day glaring at the loom and then wondering if I made a mistake.

But then again, I did the same thing with my first spinning wheel purchase last year.  Then I ended up making that huge rainbow coat I just finished a few weeks ago.

So, anyone out there have any kind of inspiration for me?  I am completely in the dark on what to start with.

Eventually I want to weave fabric for clothing use.  However, I am hoping that I did not mess up - that I should not have gotten the 36" instead.  I just did not want overkill and something so huge that I would never use it.

Any help at all for inspiration and directions on what the heck to do with this thing is greatly appreciated!

I don't know what to use for warp - and what my possibilities are at ALL!

*looks at Kromsky Harp loom glaringly again and sighs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 04:33:22 PM »

Don't glare at the Kromski  Wink  She will treat you well, I promise!  Smiley  I own the 32" Harp and absolutely LOVE it. 

It should have come with a vhs or dvd that will show you how to put it together and how to warp it.  Throw that in the appropriate machine and give it a watch. 

Then once you have it put together, if you still don't have an exact project in mind to start, put any old warp on there and just start weaving.  think of it as practice and learning.  You don't have to do anything with the resulting fabric, but you just might be surprised and love what you get.  My big tip would be don't put a warp on that's too horribly long.  That way you won't feel like you have to weave something that you hate forever.  But at the same time make it long enough that you can play with some various weights of yarn just to see what you get.

Heck, you already amazed us with your rainbow coat, I have a feeling that it won't be long and you'll be knocking us over with an amazing piece of woven fabric!!!

Good luck and quit glaring!  Smiley
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprig
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007 02:14:24 PM »

*chuckle*

I KNEW that I could find some solace here at craftster!

I am in the process of dying wool for my new peacock coat today- I managed to get the mix of colors PERFECT for the base feather color.  Then I am going to spin tiny lime/chartreuse silk fibers with it for the yarn.  When I ply it, I am going to spin in some actual peacock fronds too, but not sure exactly how yet- I might just put it in each ply of the two ply yarn.

Anyway, Thanks for the encouragement.  When harvest has slowed down, I might just try to see if I can weave.  I have some different yarns from the dollar store that I might be able to use as my first warps so perhaps I will do that and see how it goes.

What kind of things can I do on my Harp?  I got so disappointed when someone told me that it was not a REAL loom and that I wasted my money (at the fiber fest).  I think that is part of my problem.  I feel like someone cut me off at the knees.

I hope that I did not make a mistake not getting the 32" though.

Oh well.

Any input is greatly valued- THANK YOU for taking the time to write- I appreciate it SO much.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007 11:37:03 AM »

Thought I'd add that the yarns I first started out with as warps are carpet warp (cotton) like this http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/products.asp?dept=329  and Harrisville yarns (wool) like these  http://www.harrisville.com/html/yarns.html   (scroll down a bit to the Classic Line for Weavers, either the shetland or the highland style).

The Harrisville colors are amazingly beautiful.  They may feel a bit stiff and wimpy right off the cone, but once washed and dried, it is heavenly!  I used it for baby blankets for my kids.  You can get a color card from them too.  The yarns plump up beautifully.

I only used the cotton once (I'm a wool girl, myself Smiley ) but I doubled the strands in every "space" and used single strands in the "holes" and then doubled the weft.  I don't have any pics of the finished piece but it did make for a nice fabric.  A friend wanted a pink, she said "like the breast cancer pink," shawl/warp.  She didn't like wool and really wanted cotton.  I found the carpet warp and the ladies at the store I bought it from said it washed up lovely and not stiff and carpet-y at all.  They were right.  the resulting shawl/wrap (what do you call it? Smiley ) was beautiful and soft when all done.  But, and its a big but, I was so sick of looking at all that pink on the loom Smiley  I kept telling people that it looked like my loom had thrown up Pepto Bismal Smiley

I haven't really done much weaving with my own handspun yet, mostly because I only have around 140 yards or so of any given color.   I have heard from some people who do not "set" their handspun if they are going to weave with it so that it can "bloom" when the fabric is set.  But, I have heard of weavers that always set their handspun too so I guess like all of our fiber pursuits, we can just practice, experiment and do what ever we want Smiley

You've made me realize that it has been awhile since I wove on my Harp and maybe I should get my butt in gear Smiley  Thanks!
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007 03:50:51 PM »

The best tip I got when I started weaving was NOT to expect your first project to be anything - just to warp your loom and play around and get comfortable with everything.  If you set out to make something/anything in particular, you'll have a miserable time. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now selling awesomeness with my partners in craftiness!
Our website: http://maked.ca
Our blog: http://baremaked.blogspot.com/
Our shop: http://maked.etsy.com
Grimnir
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007 04:28:25 PM »

Those Kromski looms look the dogs whatsits (as we say in the UK), I'd love one! I've got a Harris table loom I'm in the middle of repairing so I can start and I really wish I'd got a simpler one like the Kromski to begin with.

The best advice I was given was to try and find a weaving group that's local to you and ask them for help. I did and found them to be very helpful and willing to guide your first steps on the weaving path.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
caprig
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007 07:23:17 AM »

The best tip I got when I started weaving was NOT to expect your first project to be anything - just to warp your loom and play around and get comfortable with everything.  If you set out to make something/anything in particular, you'll have a miserable time. 

Good luck!

Good advice.  I was just thinking that.  I am debating what to use as my first warp because I don't want to use something TOO good since it will be just experiment, but I don't want to use something too yucky since it might be too hard to work with.........

I am thinking of switching it for the 32" instead of 24 this weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caprig
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 07:25:23 AM »

Those Kromski looms look the dogs whatsits (as we say in the UK), I'd love one! I've got a Harris table loom I'm in the middle of repairing so I can start and I really wish I'd got a simpler one like the Kromski to begin with.

The best advice I was given was to try and find a weaving group that's local to you and ask them for help. I did and found them to be very helpful and willing to guide your first steps on the weaving path.

If only we had a group where I live.  I am in a very rural area and the closest group I know of is an hour away- not something I can go to.  Sad

With gas/petrol as expensive as it is round here, it just would not work for me.  I don't even know anyone that weaves that lives closer than that either. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007 08:21:43 AM »

you could try contacting the group because many times the members are widespread and maybe one of the members lives near you and would like to have someone close by too.  Just a suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprig
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007 09:41:43 AM »

you could try contacting the group because many times the members are widespread and maybe one of the members lives near you and would like to have someone close by too.  Just a suggestion.

That is a possibility- I will have to check that out.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Valentines Day Meal for the Whole Family
Big Mac Vs. Big King: Burger Battle - Which Is Better?
Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Party Sandwich Recipes
The Ultimate Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...