A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! *sitting in a chair glaring at my kromski loom still in box*  (Read 4204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Grimnir
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 09:51:01 AM »

That's what happened with me Smiley the lady who runs the local branch of the Weavers, spinners and dyers guild actually lives in my town and has offered to help me. I wasn't expecting anyone to be that close really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
caprig
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007 09:54:38 AM »

That's what happened with me Smiley the lady who runs the local branch of the Weavers, spinners and dyers guild actually lives in my town and has offered to help me. I wasn't expecting anyone to be that close really.

That would be cool.

The people that I got the loom from are about 1/2 hour away, but it is hard to get there - lots of hills and rural roads make it a rough trip to take often.

They can help me though once in a great while.

I just am kinda lost as to what to do with this yet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quatzical
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007 12:32:22 PM »

Hi! I replied to you on the spinners' board but oooh ooh, it's great you got the Kromski Harp...I've been eyeing it since it first came out, but I already have a cheapo rigid heddle I got off ebay.

Rigid heddle looms are awesome! I have two huge floor looms and a decent sized table loom as well, but sometimes the rigid heddle loom is the best for a project. You can do tons with plain weave and hand-manipulated weaves take a little longer but are lots of fun. In my first weaving class, we worked on table looms at school, but our teacher loaned us each rigid heddle looms so we could play around with them at home.

Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving by Betty Linn Davenport is a great book to learn everything from scratch. It covers all the basics as well as fancier techniques and even has some simple clothes (tops) to inspire you. It has a discussion on type of yarns, color, design, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
caprig
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007 03:07:36 PM »

Oh boy!

I am excited!

I remember when several people told me at the fiber fest where I got the rigid heddle that it was not a REAL loom, I got depressed.  I hate making a bad purchase decision. 

I am hoping I can push this thing to limits like I do everything else I do.  The unexpected, you know?

I am going to get the stand so I can use it wherever I want in my tiny little house.  I did manage to trade in from the 24 to the 32 inch loom and I think in the long run I will appreciate the flexibility.

Thanks for answering- and I will try to get that book too.  I got a dog eared copy from the library, but I think I will want a copy of my own to refer back to all year.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007 06:28:59 PM »

Not a 'real' loom!  What pious, uppity, so-an-so snobs!

Shoot, next thing you know they'll say tablet cards, frame loom, back strap loom, tapesty loom or inkle loom aren't 'real' looms!

I feel sorry for them for being so limited in their vision of what weaving and looms are!

I've woven on weave-its and cardboard looms.  I have a H-D T/6, a couple RH and a 4H table loom, couple sets of tablets, tri-loom & frame looms.  They are all looms!

I lusted after the Harp but since I have 2 Rh looms already, I found a great deal on a 4 harness J-loom from ebay
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007 01:35:03 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
caprig
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007 12:20:54 PM »

I am so glad to see you say that!

I am such a visual person that if I see someone doing something on a RH loom, I would easily be able to spin off of it.

I will probably just spend some time messing with it in a few weeks and try some unconventional techniques.  I guess since I know nothing about weaving (other than potholders in grade school) I will not have to be inhibited, eh?

I think I am getting the vision for it now.  I found a project on schadt (sp) for a table runner with a winter scene and trees woven in- that really inspired me so now I can try to do something with that and spin off of it.

That same person did not like superwash and refuses to use it- but I find it is the only fiber I can use on most things- my family is the type to toss my stuff in the washer and not ask questions until it is too late.

I am NOT going to risk that!  All of that work to be destroyed in under an hour? FORGET IT!

*chuckle* 

I guess if you live alone that would not be a problem though.

I know nobody close to me that weaves that I can sit and watch on a RH- that would help - I think. 

Maybe not.

I will be sure to post some photos when I finally DO get to mess around.  Someone gave me a ton of acrylic yarn to play with so I plan to have fun with it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
henofthewoods
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008 02:25:05 PM »

If your loom is still in the box - when you reach the point of putting it together there will be a step involving (nylon?) cord. Matched lengths of cord are used to attach dowels that attach to your warp (cloth beam and warp beam.) I have heard that the instructions tell you to use candle flames to singe the ends of the cord to the correct length and then join the ends. You do not have to get the cord to the correct length as long as you tie each cord to the same length. Mark the same length on each cord and make a knot which goes as close as possible to the marks. The ends should be quick singed but you won't be melting cord all day.
We got to take our looms home this week from class. Wheeee!!
My class is working on a piece that is 7" wide and 2.5 yds long to get the hang of a few bits of weaving. Then we will do one scarf where we all have the same warp (tussah silk) and each person designs their scarf from there. There is a photo gallery of a previous class:
http://www.newvoyager.com/harpart.html
I am very excited.
Hen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caprig
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008 02:35:03 PM »

I finally did it!  I am working on my first scarf. STarted as an acrylic scarf because my mom hates wool and silk, but I decided it would be too stiff for her.

I am doing a free form scarf of sorts- I will try to post a photo of what I am doing when it is done- I am about 2/3 of the way through it.

I really like it, but I have to take breaks from it or I obsess over it and stress myself out.  This is not a craft for impatient speedy people, that is for sure- and goal oriented is a bit rough too- it moves along so slowly.

But I do love my loom so far.

I have been spinning up some tussah silk to use on there for a scarf, but have been afraid to do it as I don't want to screw up something so hard to get and EXPENSIVE

Cheesy

BTW, there are some great things there at the link you gave me- I am loving the random stuff that looks all free style- it is fun to do!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 02:37:04 PM by caprig » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountain_waif
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008 07:23:03 AM »

Good for you!!

I will be looking forward to pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Chicken Marsala
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...