A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beaded Fringe Earrings, Yippee!  (Read 2373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

izLeah
« on: September 21, 2007 09:42:46 PM »

hello fellow craftsters! this is my first time posting anything i've made....i'm very excited because i've discovered what a fun addiction beading fringed earrings with the brickstitch is! i've made these pairs already:

the first three i made without a beading needle. yes, i was insane and curious enough to individually thread each of those beads by hand. my eyes and fingers were very angry at me at first, but then they forgave me Smiley the following pairs i was inspired to be more intricate, there's no stopping me now! well...sorta. more on that at the end of this. i have an addiction to the beading isle at hobby lobby now. there is a hobby lobby riiiigght near my house... Wink

and forgive the length of this post...but an important question!!! for these earrings, i have been using singer nylon thread from an old craft stash. i have run out of it! Sad i cannot find it at walmart or hobbylobby. the only thing i can get is this other brand (only one available at walmart and hobby lobby) that is incredibly thin and flimsy. i've tried white beading thread, i hate it. i like the look transparent thread contributes to my earrings. the smallest fishing line i could get my hands on was 8lb line, still too thick, same goes for monofilment. does any one know of a transparent, but thin and durable thread out there i could use for my beading? or know where i could get my hands on some nice singer nylon thread again? i'd love to hear suggestions, and many thanks in advance Smiley

whatcha think? i hope everyone enjoys! i get so much inspiration from everyone's crafts on here!

and for anyone interested, there are tons of brickstitch tutorials on line, but my first inspiration/tutorial came from here:
http://www.shira.net/make-earrings.htm
i used that tutorial, and ran with it! i also spent many hours of researching beaded jewely online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhev

Have a nice day :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 12:04:47 AM »

Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Heather

Be true to yourself Smiley Smiley Smiley

When you get to the end of your rope - tie a knot and hang on!!
(Franklin D. Roosevelt)
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007 01:38:50 AM »

These look really cool! Well done.

On the topic of thread, I'd suggest you look at something like Nymo. I also started out using Nylon thread but after a while I found in my older projects like necklaces the thread had begun to stretch which distorts your beading - which seems a shame.

I know what you mean about not wanting your thread visible - one way round this is to use a thread that is closely coloured to the main colour you are using in your piece. The other alternative is to use grey/silver-grey thread instead of white this is less intrusive and tends to disappear when you look at the finished piece.

keep having fun with the beads..oh and welcome to Beadaholics Anonymous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2014 - 67/50 Done!

Personal swaps welcome Cheesy
Hadassah
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007 07:14:18 AM »

Wow!
You have incredible patience! Thanks for the link. I'll have to try my hand at this.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nirauan
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007 09:23:38 AM »

nice job! well done for having the patience to work with seed beads Smiley

I also second the nymo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007 03:20:41 PM »

These are so beautiful! Really very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
izLeah
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007 07:50:27 AM »

crafyhev-thanks! Smiley

bushbaby- thankyou! by the way, what gorgeous and intricate necklace beadwork you have! woww...
where might i get nymo? i tried looking at hobby lobby, and of course they dont have it at walmart. should i try michaels? i will be so happy once i can start beading again...

hadassah- yeah, i have an insane amount of patience. once day my hands are going to mock me for it when i have arthirtis as an old woman...but hten again, perhaps by then they'll have a cure for it! Wink Cheesy hehe. check out the link. i am not responsible for any pending addictions Cheesy it's really easy. you might flub the first time you try, but dont give up. the more you try it, the better and faster you become.

niruan-thanks! Smiley

italianchildhood-thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gallstones
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007 08:42:30 AM »

If you are serious in wanting a suitable transparent beading thread consider Fireline http://www.bluesagebeads.com/product_p/fireline.htm
It is actually a fishing line and you can probably find it at a local sporting goods store--for a better price. It comes in different gauges and is known for being a bit stiffer than the nylon threads. So that factor may be a detraction or an advantage depending on what you are making.

The link is only one source for example. You can get it other places.

Oh, and you can get Nymo at any beading store--maybe even at a discount store like Wal Mart. You can pre-stretch it, it only has a little give in it. After pulling off the length I'm going to use I firmly grasp each end and tug on it. You will feel it give (stretch) a little.

There is an alternative to Nymo that frays less, C-Lon.
http://beadwork.about.com/od/beadworkbookprodrevs/fr/C_lon_thread.htm  An internet search will yield many suppliers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007 01:12:57 PM by gallstones » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007 09:51:38 AM »

bushbaby- thankyou! by the way, what gorgeous and intricate necklace beadwork you have! woww...
where might i get nymo? i tried looking at hobby lobby, and of course they dont have it at walmart. should i try michaels? i will be so happy once i can start beading again...

You are welcome and thank you! Im afraid I live in the UK so I wouldn't know of any stores you could buy supplies but you should be able to find plenty online.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2014 - 67/50 Done!

Personal swaps welcome Cheesy
Cayca
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007 09:41:45 AM »

I love all of these earrings. Somehow every pair I made looked messy. Yours look perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
H&M Designs Sustainable Evening Wear Collection
Man Bids $360k On Princess Diana Gown To Cheer Up Wife
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
How to Embellish a Blouse With Pearls Inspired by Chanel
AG Jeans and Liberty London Collab On Denim Collection
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...