A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaded and sequined atcs!  (Read 8030 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , virgin_mary , catholic , day_of_the_dead , skull , spiderweb , feminist , shrine , halloween , atc , dia_de_los_muertos  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2007 08:00:12 PM »

i've been working on rather fancy fabric atcs lately. i've been feeling crummy, and they're the perfect thing to keep me occupied while i sit on the couch in front of countless episodes of CSI!

the first three were made for round 2 of the fabric ATC swap.

hail mary
the one on the left is mine, cause i screwed it up (the text is upside down!), and i made it first to figure out how exactly i wanted to do the beading.

for the second one i added another shade of pink beads to the border cause i thought the other ones were too pastely.

i forgot to print two backs onto the iron on paper, so mine doesn't have a back. i was going to add a loop and hang it in my bathroom, but a friend fell in love with it on sight, and i couldn't say no!

i made up the background in photoshop, it's "hail mary" typed out enough times to fill the rectangle. then i printed the background and the inside picture, cut out the picture as an oval and cut an oval out of the background, ironed them on at the same time. before i removed the paper i ironed some batting on too. then i pressed the edges under on the front and the back. i did the blue beading before i joined them, one bead at a time, and the scattered pink ones. then i hand sewed the front and the back together and sewed the pink beads on the edges (3 beads at a time, going from front to back).

day of the dead

embroidery and sequins! i did some embroidery with metallic thread too...
i was pretty proud of my skull, i always get stressed out about day of the dead skulls, i can never draw them properly! i used regular embroidery floss, and the metallic machine embroidery thread.

spider web!

embroidered web and one of the fabulous buttons i bought at jo-anns in portland. (jo-anns has SO MUCH cool stuff!)

the spider one is simpler than the others i did for the swap, because i was having inspiration issues. i really love it though!

i got totally into the beading after the hail mary card, and made this one for my friend joanne.

i found this fabric with little women's symbols on it at a fabric outlet in burlington, wa and i couldn't resist buying a yard of it... i have no clue what else to use it for, but i thought it was fun for joanne. she's been so active is women's organizations and women's committees within the labour movement over the years, i think she'll love it.

mexican mini-shrine atc. it's atc size, but it unfolds.
this one was originally going to be for the ATC swap, but i decided it was way too complex compared to the others, plus i really didn't want to give it up!

all sequined on the front (with a green skull bead and a loop of pink elastic for closure)

opened up. lots of embroidery! everytime i thought i was done i'd be like "oh, but i think it needs a bit more of this colour...."! the swallows are iron on transfers. the banner at the bottom says remember, and the empty square in the centre is actually a little vinyl pocket to put a photo in. i adore it.

and the full back! you can see all the sequins, and the tag, which is actually wrong now that i'm not using it for the swap!

and then i made this card as a thank you for kittykill and her hubby after i stayed with them for a few days in portland earlier in the month.

embroidered thanks, black and orange sequins and beads, balsa wood skull
i put a string of beads on it in case they wanted to hang it, but i threaded them loose enough that they can fall down behind the card if they want to just lean it against a shelf or something.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007 08:01:54 PM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
FishStikks
Member of the Papercraft Gang

"My Heart Rat Norman"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007 08:10:50 PM »

I LOVE everyone one of these, they are all just beyond beautiful. You did such a fabulous job with them. I love your chain stitching. I need to do some more embroidery "stuff". Yours makes me...drool.
I really need to know where you got all those wonderful sequins. Was it Joanne's again?
Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's Me...Babs!!
My Flick'r Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishstikks/
My Blog http://fishstikks.blogspot.com/
My etsy: http://www.Fishstikks.etsy.com
My Sketchbook Project Theme: I'm a Scavenger
craftydame

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007 08:19:42 PM »

thank you! i was super proud of them and impatient for them to be received!

these cards were the first embroidery i'd done in years, but i've started a few other projects since, and i'm super excited to be getting back into it.

the random sequins were just a big $3 bag from walmart, i couldn't find them anywhere else locally (it totally didn't occur to me to try dollar stores until AFTER i made the cards!). i had to sort through it and take out all the ones i didn't want to use (who really uses christmas tree sequins that much? really.) but there's a TON left.

i was totally being cranky, i was like "why the hell doesn't this bag have more orange sequins? i need orange for halloween projects. stupid bag!!!", and then later that day i found little bags of orange sequins for $0.50 each at the same outlet i got the women's symbol fabric! and the black sequins were from the dollar store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007 08:23:38 PM »

These are soooo amazing, crafty_dame!  I am so thankful I'm the proud owner of Hail Mary!!!  But I can't wait to see more of your work.  Truly stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007 08:34:04 PM »

You are just... amazing. Of course you already know I love you, but I just can't get over how well you can conceptualize and put together something so stunning! You're wonderfully talented
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007 08:39:50 PM »

Those are beyond amazing! You are amazng with everything you do...your vinyl bags...now THIS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftydame

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007 09:47:08 PM »

thank you so much everyone! i really loved them all, they were so hard to give up!

and i was super proud of myself, because for YEARS i've detested hand sewing, but these were so much more fun than hemming, i guess i like it after all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anam
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007 12:35:57 AM »

I am absolutely crazy about your Dia de los Muertos ATC shrine. It's amazing. I sure wish you were on Swap.Bot..I'd want to trade for that!! Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007 01:08:00 AM »

thanks!

(but i'd never give it up, i love it too much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007 05:12:43 AM »

Each one of these deserve a display easel!  Little works of art! So much more but what an outcome!  Gorgeous, colorful,--the shrine one is definitely a keeper!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Ways to Look Cute When Its Cold Outside
Cute and Casual Holiday Outfit Tips
Hottest Holiday Party Fashions
How to Personalize Your Own Look
How to Style Your Turtleneck Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...