A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaded and sequined atcs!  (Read 7610 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , virgin_mary , catholic , day_of_the_dead , skull , spiderweb , feminist , shrine , halloween , atc , dia_de_los_muertos  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 21, 2007 08:00:12 PM »

i've been working on rather fancy fabric atcs lately. i've been feeling crummy, and they're the perfect thing to keep me occupied while i sit on the couch in front of countless episodes of CSI!

the first three were made for round 2 of the fabric ATC swap.

hail mary
the one on the left is mine, cause i screwed it up (the text is upside down!), and i made it first to figure out how exactly i wanted to do the beading.

for the second one i added another shade of pink beads to the border cause i thought the other ones were too pastely.

i forgot to print two backs onto the iron on paper, so mine doesn't have a back. i was going to add a loop and hang it in my bathroom, but a friend fell in love with it on sight, and i couldn't say no!

i made up the background in photoshop, it's "hail mary" typed out enough times to fill the rectangle. then i printed the background and the inside picture, cut out the picture as an oval and cut an oval out of the background, ironed them on at the same time. before i removed the paper i ironed some batting on too. then i pressed the edges under on the front and the back. i did the blue beading before i joined them, one bead at a time, and the scattered pink ones. then i hand sewed the front and the back together and sewed the pink beads on the edges (3 beads at a time, going from front to back).

day of the dead

embroidery and sequins! i did some embroidery with metallic thread too...
i was pretty proud of my skull, i always get stressed out about day of the dead skulls, i can never draw them properly! i used regular embroidery floss, and the metallic machine embroidery thread.

spider web!

embroidered web and one of the fabulous buttons i bought at jo-anns in portland. (jo-anns has SO MUCH cool stuff!)

the spider one is simpler than the others i did for the swap, because i was having inspiration issues. i really love it though!

i got totally into the beading after the hail mary card, and made this one for my friend joanne.

i found this fabric with little women's symbols on it at a fabric outlet in burlington, wa and i couldn't resist buying a yard of it... i have no clue what else to use it for, but i thought it was fun for joanne. she's been so active is women's organizations and women's committees within the labour movement over the years, i think she'll love it.

mexican mini-shrine atc. it's atc size, but it unfolds.
this one was originally going to be for the ATC swap, but i decided it was way too complex compared to the others, plus i really didn't want to give it up!

all sequined on the front (with a green skull bead and a loop of pink elastic for closure)

opened up. lots of embroidery! everytime i thought i was done i'd be like "oh, but i think it needs a bit more of this colour...."! the swallows are iron on transfers. the banner at the bottom says remember, and the empty square in the centre is actually a little vinyl pocket to put a photo in. i adore it.

and the full back! you can see all the sequins, and the tag, which is actually wrong now that i'm not using it for the swap!

and then i made this card as a thank you for kittykill and her hubby after i stayed with them for a few days in portland earlier in the month.

embroidered thanks, black and orange sequins and beads, balsa wood skull
i put a string of beads on it in case they wanted to hang it, but i threaded them loose enough that they can fall down behind the card if they want to just lean it against a shelf or something.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007 08:01:54 PM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
FishStikks
Member of the Papercraft Gang

"My Heart Rat Norman"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007 08:10:50 PM »

I LOVE everyone one of these, they are all just beyond beautiful. You did such a fabulous job with them. I love your chain stitching. I need to do some more embroidery "stuff". Yours makes me...drool.
I really need to know where you got all those wonderful sequins. Was it Joanne's again?
Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's Me...Babs!!
My Flick'r Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishstikks/
My Blog http://fishstikks.blogspot.com/
My etsy: http://www.Fishstikks.etsy.com
My Sketchbook Project Theme: I'm a Scavenger
craftydame

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007 08:19:42 PM »

thank you! i was super proud of them and impatient for them to be received!

these cards were the first embroidery i'd done in years, but i've started a few other projects since, and i'm super excited to be getting back into it.

the random sequins were just a big $3 bag from walmart, i couldn't find them anywhere else locally (it totally didn't occur to me to try dollar stores until AFTER i made the cards!). i had to sort through it and take out all the ones i didn't want to use (who really uses christmas tree sequins that much? really.) but there's a TON left.

i was totally being cranky, i was like "why the hell doesn't this bag have more orange sequins? i need orange for halloween projects. stupid bag!!!", and then later that day i found little bags of orange sequins for $0.50 each at the same outlet i got the women's symbol fabric! and the black sequins were from the dollar store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007 08:23:38 PM »

These are soooo amazing, crafty_dame!  I am so thankful I'm the proud owner of Hail Mary!!!  But I can't wait to see more of your work.  Truly stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007 08:34:04 PM »

You are just... amazing. Of course you already know I love you, but I just can't get over how well you can conceptualize and put together something so stunning! You're wonderfully talented
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007 08:39:50 PM »

Those are beyond amazing! You are amazng with everything you do...your vinyl bags...now THIS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftydame

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007 09:47:08 PM »

thank you so much everyone! i really loved them all, they were so hard to give up!

and i was super proud of myself, because for YEARS i've detested hand sewing, but these were so much more fun than hemming, i guess i like it after all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anam
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007 12:35:57 AM »

I am absolutely crazy about your Dia de los Muertos ATC shrine. It's amazing. I sure wish you were on Swap.Bot..I'd want to trade for that!! Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007 01:08:00 AM »

thanks!

(but i'd never give it up, i love it too much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007 05:12:43 AM »

Each one of these deserve a display easel!  Little works of art! So much more but what an outcome!  Gorgeous, colorful,--the shrine one is definitely a keeper!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...