A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 15 year old brother's gift  (Read 1092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lollipop
« on: September 21, 2007 05:11:59 PM »

So, my brother's birthday is coming up - he'll be 15. I'm currently in college, and so I don't have $. Therefore, I'd like to make him something. The problem is, I really like the IDEA of crafting, but I haven't done a whole lot of it - and I can't knit/crochet. Don't have access to a sewing machine, either. Also, have y'all noticed that often crafting something turns out more expensive than buying it because supplies cost so much?! Anyhow, that was just a little rant...

So my brother is homeschooled, doesn't get out much, really likes playing runescape online (dunno if any of y'all have heard of it...? It's like a fantasy game), the chronicles of narnia books, Brian Jacques books - he likes to read fantasy. He liked the lord of the rings movies, as well.  He's really interested in learning about mythical creatures/rituals/whatever. Um, he likes garfield. He likes the show 'the office', and the 'savage chickens' comics. He laughs at jokes that he doesn't get. haha. He likes playing board games and card games when he's bored.

I dunno, I'm really stuck on cheap gift ideas, especially because he's a boy, and they're so much harder to buy for!

He really wants facial hair and a deep voice NOW. haha. It's so cute. That's all I can think of. Any ideas? Any at all? He might like a "___ in a box" gift, I'm just not sure on a theme. I wouldn't want to get into a "magic" theme as I'm afraid it would get too spiritual, and my family is Christian. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks so much, y'all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
bastet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007 10:45:48 PM »

You could paint comic characters or other things on white material. Buy some cheap white cotton sweatshirt or cotton bedclothes and some fabric-colours. You will only need red, blue, yellow, white and black. All the other colours can be mixed out of those. To fix theses colours you only need to iron them. Put a strong paper between the material while drawing it so that no colour will get on the backside and to fix the while ironing but a sheet of backing-paper on top of the drawn picture.

Another thing I made last year for christmaswas a book full of jokes. I copied lots of Christian jokes from the internet and made a book from it. Everybody loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007 12:27:57 PM »

What about something like this using a fantasy book with a cool cover.
 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=199446.0

Be sure to check out your local thrift store, you can allways cheap supplies and get good ideas there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shaez

I've always been chasing rainbows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007 03:06:44 AM »

If he wants to be a man so desporately
Make him a beard

Get a piece of card
Cover in hair/fluff
Cut out in beardy shape
Punch holes on ends
Attach elastic
VA VOOM a beard
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<CENTER>There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
Gilraen Nolatari

Supermassive Black Hole

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007 01:50:59 PM »

Oh, I'm in love with your brother.
Well.. no, but he seems nice.
Hm.. this line 'he likes to read fantasy. He liked the lord of the rings movies, as well.  He's really interested in learning about mythical creatures/rituals/whatever' described me pretty accurately, and though I'm a girl, I'll think about thing's I'll like to make/have.
Hm..  You could hand-paint him a shirt.  'One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One ring to bring them all and in darkness bind them'
And if you draw well, you could write that but in Elvish♥ . [I've never really tried on fabric, but it's not really hard to draw/write].
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/GilraenNolatari/DFH.jpg

Make him a book? I don't know, you can get this white pc paper, and 2 pieces of cardboard. Cut the carboard so that is like.. 1 centimeter bigger than the sheets of paper, and cover one side of the first cardboard with glue+water+pieces of newspaper. Make some strange symbols using the paste and let it dry. You can do the same to the other piece of cardboard. Then, you can paint it a light cream colour, and when it's dry you can use a piece of cloth to 'stain' it with dark brown paint. [Well, the best thing you could use for this is comething that in spanish is called 'betun de judea'-.. I can't find it's name in english anywhere.. but it looks like dark brown shoe paste to me xD]
Finally, you glue the sheets and covers together.. and voila! [You could also use a needle to do this, but you'll take aaages,.. though I think it would be better]
AAnd... the last thing i can come up with is to bake him something.
Why not? You can make him something that he'll enjoy in the moment, instead of taking the risk and giving him something he won't really like.

Well.. I hope that helps :3

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Revege is the best Revenge!
lollipop
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007 12:34:10 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas, y'all! I really appreciate it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Authentic Goan Prawn Curry Recipe
Making Indian Kerala Masala Spice
How to Make an Indian Chapati Bread
Asian Twist on Gourmet Recipe For Steak and Fries
How to Make a Delicious California Roll Uramaki
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...