A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100% Repurposed Paper-Waste Journal  (Read 20544 times)
Tags for this thread: journal , craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Martine
« on: September 21, 2007 04:54:00 PM »

I made a little journal for a friend of mine for her birthday.  Nothing too special though I think it turned out quite well.  I cut all of the pages from partially used notebooks I bought at a thrift store (except for a few pages which were several layers of a used sewing pattern glued together for a little bit of strength since it's so tissue-papery).  The pages that are glued to the front to attach the pages to the cover were cut from an old Readers Digest atlas.  The cover was rescued from a discarded tagboard box from my office that held file folders or something of the sort before one of my coworkers threw it away (didn't even recycle it!).  The cover is then covered with some old sheet music.  I bound it with the stitch that I forget the name of, but it's the one that allows the book to lie flat when open.  There's five signatures of five sheets (ten pages) each.

The sheet music cover, on which I stamped her name (store bought stamps) and a little heart (hand-carved by me).

The inside cover, which has a map of Washington state (where she lives) with the same heart from the cover stamped on Bellingham (where she is about to move for school this Sunday).

The back inside cover, which has a map of Maryland (where I live) with the same heart again stamped on Baltimore (where I live).

Look at all the different types of paper!

One of the sewing pattern pages, and also a plain lined page (but the lines are really faded and also vertical due to the way I cut the paper).

Just another shot of some more of the variety of papers I used.

Anyway, that's it!  I'm mailing it to her probably tomorrow so I hope she likes it.  I like the fact that I was able to take a bunch of things discarded by other people and bring it all together into something for someone I care about.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007 04:55:53 PM by Martine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Robot Emotion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007 04:58:46 PM »

I love it! That is such a cute idea, I especially love the map with the hearts- that's adorable. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007 05:04:00 PM »

that is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007 05:12:15 PM »

I love it!  Those pages look like art in themselves when put together that way.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
zimfreak
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007 05:13:28 PM »

This is such a cool idea.  You executed it reallly nicely.  What a lucky friend Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><tr style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><td colspan="3" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: no
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007 05:25:52 PM »

This journal is gorgeous.  Your friend is super lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Granite_turtle

Granite? Yes as in tombstones...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007 06:21:01 PM »

That is one of the coolest journals I have ever seen!  I love the detail of stamping hearts on where you're each living.  I'm actually sitting here agape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

After checking out Regretsy I'm pretty sure I could sell my stuff on Etsy.
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007 07:04:18 PM »

Very cute.  Love the way you put the varied pages together.  And yeah for you for recylcing!

I have been wanting to do one of these for a while - and yours looks great.  I love the idea of using all different papers. 

How do you get them all the same and keep them so well aligned?  I'm not always a very "neat" crafter - so that kind of stuff frequently puzzles me  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Martine
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007 07:13:57 PM »

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!  I hope my friend likes it as much as you all do Smiley

Also, KarenLouiseM, as far as keeping the pages the same and aligned--a paper cutter is a must must must.  Nobody could pay me enough to do that all with scissors.  I just use the rulers on the paper cutter and it gets everything even for the most part.  For aligning them, I just hit them against the table to even the edges before I poke the holes through.  I mean, you can't really tell from the photos, but it's not 100% even and aligned.  The pages aren't all exactly the same size, and there are edges here and there that are a little ragged from the paper cutter not going all the way through, etc.  But it's handmade--its little flaws give it character, right?  I wouldn't want it to be so perfect that it looked machine made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astica
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007 07:36:32 PM »

I LOVE the inside back & front covers. I think the idea's so cute!
Plus everything else is amazing too <3

I think she'll be really happy to find this in her mail  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Must Have Denim Styles
Three Fresh Ways to Wear Vests
3 Oversized Sweater Outfits
Spooky Fall Outfits
Get the Burberry Cape Look For Fraction Of The Price
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...