A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Strange Crayola Markers(?) Help  (Read 1583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015 07:55:41 AM »

So, I finally gave in and bought a pad of Wonder Color paper (which, as it was also secondhand and purchased during the thrift store's Saturday sale on children's books to boot, only cost me ten cents, believe it or not).  The markers worked beautifully on the paper (you can't draw on the reverse side though, which is kind of a bummer), although the blue one seems to be running out of juice.  The markers are kind of tricky to get fine detail with, and the selection of four hues that I have is relatively limiting, but I was able to make a decent enough, albeit strangely-colored, portrait of a woman with them.  The novelty factor is fun, but, for "serious" art, I prefer my normal markers to these, although I can certainly understand the appeal for parents with young children who occasionally color where they aren't supposed to.

And, on a related note, I've been accumulating a number of crafting books from said thrift store lately too.  I'm not necessarily going to ever make any of the projects in them, but they're fun/inspirational to look at, and I can often pick up some new techniques/ideas from perusing their pages.

1981 Highlights "125 Craft Ideas Kids Can Make From Throwaways:

1994 EDC Publishing "The Usborne Book of Masks":

2003 Boyds Mill Press "Sewing With Felt" by Buff McAllister:

2011 Dorling Kindersley "The LEGO Book of Ideas" by Daniel Lipkowitz (ideas/tips for building original LEGO designs/models):

And, primarily because I wanted the gazillion MLP:FiM stickers inside (especially the Rainbow Dash ones), I got this 2012 Hasbro/Brendon Publishing Giant Sticker Activity Book:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015 08:31:17 AM »

Another nice thrift score Patraw.  I'm sure, after your long experiment time, it's satisfying to get to make some marks with those pens.  And the books are cool too.  I would totally make that tiger mask myself Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015 09:43:29 AM »

Patraw, you are obviously exploring more of your inner child. It looks like FUN! and great score on the books! I have saved some of my kids books over the years for the very reasons that you mentioned.

Your lady portrait has a fun kid like feel, too. But shows skills beyond the kindergarten phase, as well. Freddy from Rocky Horror would look good up next to your lady. So might the KISS guys.  Wink It seems they could lend themselves to this colorful open style you are creating. Nice Job!

Certain types of felt tips can be trimmed and sculpted with an exacto blade to make chisel points (calligraphy style) or a finer tip to them. The dense "meaty" ones, as opposed to the spongy ones, seem to work best. And cuticle scissors help to trim away any leftover fuzzies from the process. (yes, these are all technical terms  Grin)

If you are later concerned with fading and acid, there are sprays available (often used for newsprint added to scrapbooking) that can help seal the image. I think you are well on your way to some fun adventures.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Patraw
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015 07:16:46 AM »

@stillatthetop:  Hmm, I've never heard or thought of trimming marker tips to create finer points before, but that definitely sounds like it'd have potential. Thanks for the ideas!

@suereal:  If you're serious about wanting to make that tiger mask, I could scan the pages with the instructions/patterns for you (there's also a black panther variation on the design).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015 09:40:20 AM »

That's very kind Patraw Grin.  I just checked and they have it at the local library, so if I get the urge I can check it out.  But thanks for the offer Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese
The Secret to Grilling a Delicious Turkey Burger
The Man Behind The Biggest BBQ Chain In America
How to Make the Perfect Classic Burger
50 Burger Recipes You Need to Try This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...