A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star Books! The TUTORIAL! (Wordy w/Loads of pics)  (Read 44506 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , book , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kargrrl

Everything is good Crafterall!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2007 09:03:20 PM »

Ya-hoo! Thanks for all the compliments and requests for a tutorial. YOU ALL ROCK! This is my first tutorial, so advance apologies for the wordiness and any confusion!

Supplies Needed:
*paper (I typically use 8.5 x 11 resume paper its thicker than regular paper, comes in light colors, and yet is still quite fold-able)
* paperboard (a spent cereal box or poster board works well)
* decorative paper (mulberry paper or velveteen paper are my favorites, but almost anything works!)
* inch width ribbon
* glue stick
* scissors
* small bead (optional)

Step 1: Cut your squares

One sheet of 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper will give you 4 4 inch squares, with a little bookmark chunk leftover. You will need at least 5 of these squares, so youll need more than one sheet of paper. Youll also want to cut the squares as perfectly as you can. Origami squares are nice for their perfection, but are a little flimsy as book pages.

When I get supplies for my class, I buy a bunch of colored resume paper from Kinkos and then I have THEM chop it into perfect little squares using their big chopping machine. Lately, they have charged 75 cents per cut (thats through all of the sheets), so with three or four cuts, its a cost-effective way to get square squares.

Step 2: Fold your squares

Select either 5 or 6 squares for the pages of your book. They can all be the same color, or you can mix and match. (FYI: Using only 4 squares results in a funky looking book, but it doesnt look like a star, and using more than 6 squares results in very pointy books, that lose the star look as well.)

Fold the square in half, then open it, rotate 90 degrees and fold in half and open it again so that your folds look like a cross. Make your folds as perfectly as you can.

Flip the square over and make one diagonal fold from point to point.

Hold the square (now a triangle) with your thumbs in the center and your fingers just inside the two ends. Pressing up gently with your thumbs and down with your fingers, pop the fold to arrive at this shape. (Note: there are other ways to get this same fold. If you know a way that works better for you, use it.)

Repeat these folding steps for all of your squares.

Step 3: Glue your squares
Apply an even coat over the entire surface of the flat side of one of your squares. Try to avoid big goops, yet make sure you dont miss any little areas.

Stick the flat side of a second square onto the glued one making sure that they are both facing the SAME way. In other words, the closed points and open sides match. Doing otherwise gets you a cool-looking exploded style book, but not a star book. Glue the pieces together as perfectly as you can.

Continue gluing all the squares like this, but do NOT glue the remaining ends together you need to be able to close your book! (Of course, if you wanted to make ornaments rather than books, go ahead and glue these ends together, punch a hole in one point and then string it up.)

Set the pages aside while you work on the cover. (I like to set something heavy on the squished stack to help the glue set.)

Step 4: Create your cover

Cut out two squares of paperboard that are just slightly bigger than your folded pages. (Using 4 inch squares, they fold down to 2 1/8 inch pages, so I cut my paperboard at 2 inch square.)

Cut out your cover material to yield about a inch margin all around the paperboard. (3 inches works well.)

Glue the paperboard onto the back and center of your cover material.

Miter the corners of the cover material.

Glue the edges of the cover material and, folding them over the sides of the paperboard, stick them down.

Step 5: Add the ribbon

This is what holds your book closed and your star open. I usually use about 20 inches of inch width satin ribbon. Experiment with other materials if you like, but this is what works best for me.

Find the center of the ribbon (I pinch mine). Position the covers diagonally to each other with a little gap in between. Draw a line of glue across the insides of each cover, from point to point.

Stick the ribbon onto the cover pieces by centering it over the little gap and then pressing it into the glue.

Step 6: Add the pages

Think of the center of your covers as the hinge of the book. Glue the flat side of one end of your page stack and stick it to one of the cover sides make sure the hinge of your pages matches the hinge of the covers, and do your best to center it.

Glue the top side of the pages and stick the second cover onto this.

You can now tie the ends of the ribbon to keep your book closed.

Once the glue dries, your star book is complete! Ya-Hoo!

Step 7: Add a bead closure (Optional)

Thread a bead or two onto both ends of the ribbon and tie a knot at the end to secure it. The bead should have a small enough hole so that it acts as a cinch to hold the book open or closed.

Notes:
*This is a size I make mostly because it yields the most book pages from  a regular size sheet of paper. You can also try to make them smaller (but it can get tricky to fold) or larger (they dont hold their star shape as well).

* When Ive taught this to a larger group, it usually takes about a full-hour total, often over two days. With a smaller group, say about 4-5, I can teach it in about 30 minutes. It can depend on their age and their experience with folding. ☺

* If you plan to write on the pages, you may want to do this before assembling the pages as it can be a little tricky to do that when its all put together.

Happy Crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kateh

I can't seem to peel my eyes off of Craftster...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007 09:10:56 PM »

yay! i can't wait to make one! thanks for all your hard work on the tutorial; well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't repliKate!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007 09:13:24 PM »

Thank you so much! YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007 09:42:00 PM »

Great tut!  Very easy to follow...I definitely see these in my future... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
bbeaded
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007 11:49:00 PM »

what an awsome book!!! you have done a really great job with the tut! i have got to try this out one day. ANOTHER project to put on my list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Latest blog - www.oddsnblobs.blog spot.com

MY NEW ETSY STORE!! - www.oddsnblobs.etsy .com
fuji.mama
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007 12:12:36 AM »

Thank you!  The tutorial is so easy to follow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007 12:15:30 AM »

great imagination!
I use those square-bases for so many things, but I never thought of making a star out of them!

really really nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
epsilon
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007 07:06:16 AM »

thank you for the tutorial, here is what i made:
(i wish i knew how to make smaller pictures)

it took me less than half an hour, but i used precut papers, from those office cube notebooks, so it's smaller than yours. for the covers i used some scraps of paper i had lying around, i always feel bad about throwing it away, now i have something to do with them:) i made it for a boyfriend, it's bit too girly, but i think he will like it anyway:)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007 07:11:34 AM by epsilon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007 07:13:46 AM »

Thanks for making the tutorial Smiley  It's awesome!  *adding this to list of things to try*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007 07:48:37 AM »

wonderful. very clear and easy to follow, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Mac Boot Animation - Motion 3
How to Use Rotoscoping - Motion 3
Comparison Between Color Corrector and Color Corrector 3-Way
How to Use Aperture 2.0
How to Make Custom Effects - LiveType
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...