A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: drop spindle questions  (Read 556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 20, 2007 08:27:58 PM »

Ok I have my yarn all spun and on my drop spindle. I need to remove it and set the twist right?
So What do I do to the end of the roving I spun to make it stay twisty so my yarn doesn't untwist?
And is there something I need to know about taking the yarn off the spindle?
I want to do it right becasue I'm really happy with my finished yarn. Smiley
Only my second time but I can see a difference between it and the first one. Smiley
So From what I understand I need to soak the yarn in warm water for a few minutes squeeze and then allow to air dry? Correct me at any time.

I did a search and just can't seem to find anything about this on the forum and I'm checking google with no results so far. (but I may not be searching using the right words)

Any thing else I need to know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007 02:21:06 PM »

So, Eliea, your yarn is a single, correct?

All you need to do is take your yarn (which is currently on your spindle) and wrap it around a chair back or a niddy-noddy.  This creates a loop of yarn.  Now tie scraps of yarn or string around your loop in four spots.  This holds your loop together and helps prevent tangling.   

In a large mixing bowl/whatever else you have hanging around, soak your yarn in hot water (really, I'd recommend hot rather than warm).  You can mix in a little bit of shampoo, conditioner, Eucalan (a wool wash available at LYS), Dr. Bronner's, etc. if you'd like.  Let sit for at least 15 minutes.

Carefully wring out your loop of yarn.  Give it a good snap by pulling the ends away from each other.  Let it dry completely, hanging on a showerhead, outside on a clothesline, etc.  If it is curling around dramatically (and it might, if it is a single...still a lot of energy in singles), you can weight down the loop with a bottle of shampoo.  When you do this, it will straighten the yarn, but it will also take out a lot of the "bounce," and if the yarn ever gets wet again, the curl might return.

Once your loop is dry, put your thumbs in both ends of the loop and twist in opposite directions.  Bring your thumbs together.  The yarn should twist on itself to form a skein.  Tuck one end of the loop inside the other and voila!  A finished skein.  Now stand back and look at it proudly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007 07:40:14 AM »

Thanks! I did all that yesterday. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and scoured the internet for how to remove it and basically did just that.
My single is drying in the shower weighted down. It wasn't curling to bad but I just thought it might help a bit. Smiley
I can't wait to sow everyone when it's dry! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007 08:47:48 AM »

Yay!
We're all looking forward to seeing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Headshot Lighting Techniques
How to Create an Executive Portrait
How to Create Lighting in a Studio
Lighting Techniques Using 1 large light source.
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...