A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,469
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Overdying soysilk?  (Read 653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2007 03:24:17 PM »

So today I was lucky enough to score 3 free skeins of Pastimes (100% soysilk) from my LYS.  It was on sale for $3 but i think the colorway is hideous, and she told me I could just have them to see what I could do with it.  What a deal!  I've dyed yarn with koolaid before, but I didn't know if there is anything special you have to do with soysilk.  I've never over-dyed anything.  So any suggestions for colors or specific kinds of dyes that would work with this well would be great.  I basically want to make it a more monochromatic scheme, maybe focus on the greens and blues and cover the orange.  If that's possible.  Any suggestions (please and thank you)?   Btw, new to this board, so hello.  I'm usually on the knitting boards.  Smiley

here's my yarn.  the orange is VERY bright.  i really don't like the orange and blue together at all.  blech. but i'm optimistic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 10:12:56 AM »

The first thing that I can think of is that the orange.. no matter if you go blue or green.. will be muddy with those colors introduced. Maybe you could go more red on the orange - then purples? Its quite a gamble really.
I've never dyed soysilk.. but yeah since it was free why not just play around? Cut a few pieces off if you don't feel like going crazy with the whole thing and experiment with different colors/methods/dyes.
Best of luck and congrats on the sweet score (even though yeah, the color mix is lacking a bit!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 09:23:54 AM »

Acid dyes (including food color/koolaid) ought to work on your soysilk.

You are not going to be able to turn the orange to blue (or green). Orange is a tertiary color when dyeing (red is a secondary color from mixing yellow and magenta; red mixed with yellow makes orange). You might be able to tone it down with black (and I would consider using a commercial acid dye, black is hard to dye well). You might also be able to turn it to a warm brown (overdye with brown, or the somewhat trickier addition of cyan-blue (the complement of orange)).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Skin Authority Product Review
The Secret To A Piecey Pixie Hairstyle
Beauty Makeup Box Reviews
Graphic Eye Makeup Backstage at KaufmanFranco Spring 2014
Fight Wrinkles and Fine Lines With These Easy Fixes
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #102-MissingWillow
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...