A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OH..kitties eating yarn  (Read 574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charaxesdistanti
« on: September 20, 2007 07:36:36 AM »

Wow, I just had to post this or tell someone now what I just had to do. My kitten found a yard of yarn on the floor and decided to eat it, I just noticed and had to slowly pull this long string from his mouth which had gotten to his stomach. It was nasty and boy am I glad I found it before he managed to get it all down!

He never eats yarn but usually I use acrylic, only the wool he wants to eat. Your kitties like that too?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007 08:42:44 AM »

Yikes!!! Keep an eye on your kitten, if he has diarrhea or if his poop looks black, take him to the vet ASAP and tell them what happened. I'm sure he's fine though!

Once my kitty found a piece of thread that I left on the floor, and decided to try to eat that. The thread wrapped around her tongue, and the rest was going back down into her stomach. After she spent all night throwing up and acting listless, I rushed her over to the vet. The vet snipped the thread and it passed through her digestion system, but if I'd waited any later she might have needed a $2,000 surgery to save her life. Ouch!

If you have pets, always clean up after yourself and keep your crafting supplies somewhere that your pet can't get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007 09:00:10 AM »

Yes, be VERY careful with kitties eating yarn.  It may look like it's only in their mouth, but if it got into their intestines, you could accidentally cut their intestines open trying to pull it out and cause internal bleeding.

Some cats are very prone to licking/chewing on yarn (for some reason, Siamese cats do it a lot) so keep everything hidden away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charaxesdistanti
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007 09:54:06 AM »

Ah, thank you for those warnings, I never had a cat before so I am new to this hiding everything. That is so scary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Gummy
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007 10:34:37 AM »

They also really like to gnaw on hair extensions/weaves.  Since you've not had a lot of cat experience, that tidbit might be useful.

My cat prefers hair (or fake hair) to yarn (and he's Siamese and ALSO eats almost everything else).  I am lucky, I guess, because I leave my knitting out all the time and he doesn't do anything to it (I never really knit with animal fibers, though, and that might be a reason?).  He's really just not interested in yarn at all.  But he DOES eat hair, so I still have to watch out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicaljennybella.blogspot.com

Ravelry: Jennybella
Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007 10:42:41 AM »

My cat will try to eat just about anything. Feathers from her feather toy, yarn, string, random pieces of paper she finds on the floor, the cord to my Mac's power adapter (!!!!!) ANYTHING.

But if I'm eating something and I offer it to her, even if she's clearly curious about it, she won't eat it. She'll just look at me like I'm nuts and then walk away.

I don't understand my cat. I love her dearly, but she's one psycho kitty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007 09:33:15 PM »

I swear my cat knows how to open the clasp on my knitting bag. he pulled a $13 ball of merino out and turned it into... well... not a ball. Also, he eats acryllic all the time, then spends that night and the next day trying to hack it up. heso aggrivating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
tinyplasticmeat
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007 10:33:33 PM »

String, yarn, thread, ribbons, shoelaces, hair bands...these are all BAD for your kitties (especially if it's thread still on a needle--and then they think it's even MORE delicious!)

My cats love my yarn but I work very hard to keep them away from it--my boy kitty ate about 2 feet of ribbon from a wedding invitation last November, and he ended up in the hospital for 3 days and had to have surgery to correct the tangled mess of his intestines after the ribbon made them curl up on themselves.

Luckily I'm a vet tech and so I got a lot of his care for free at work, but I still paid over $1500 for his surgery and hospital stay. And I've seen a LOT of cats take heavy damage and require intensive care and surgeries for eating string or string-like objects, and in one case a whole packet of hair bands.

Long story short: it's BAD for them to eat yarn. And then you have less yarn to knit with, too! So keep them separated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007 06:35:20 AM »

I seriously dont know how he does it. My stash is in a closed room and my knitting bag is latched because i obviously want him out of there... i think he just knows how to push the little button.
also, he works door handles with both his paws, so who knows how much longer my stash is safe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
april_cocaine
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007 12:25:10 PM »

My kitty has no interest at all in my yarn. Except for sleeping on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Downsample and Save for Print
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Flesh Tones by Setting the Gray Point
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the White Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the Black Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Target Shadows and Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...