A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize knitting magazines,pamphlets,binders, & books?  (Read 537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queen_gueneviere
« on: September 20, 2007 04:44:51 AM »

I have almost no storage space in our wee living room. Only 2 tiny doors on our tv cabinet. Needless to say, they're both stuffed.
I'd like to be able to keep my knitting magazines and pamphlets handy, yet organized in some way.
I would love to know how some of you, have found various ways of organizing them.  Roll Eyes

I also have some 2 inch binders, that I keep patterns in.
I'd like for all of these (as well as my knitting books), to be handy and close to my living room. Because, that is where I mostly knit.

I have a huge kitchen but hesitate to store the stuff there as, we've had problems with a leaky roof in there lately.
I do have a bit of storage space under the staircase but if anyone is sleeping, I can't access it because of the squeeky door hinge and the knob rattles.
Aha, a squirt of oil should fix the squeek.   Cheesy But, there's no light under there.  Embarrassed
I'd appreciate any suggestions that you might have, on how I could organize everything and yet still have my patterns nearby.

I really need to organize everything. I'm tired of searching all over, whenever I need a pattern. Right now I've got stuff all over the place and, I'm tired of it looking so messy.
Any suggestions?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iameannis

Mais, je m'appelle pas Ferdinand!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007 06:21:53 AM »

You might check out battery powered lights that can be mounted on the ceiling or wall for that closet under the stairs. I like knitting in the living room too. But, most of my knitting stuff is in the bedroom. I keep a basket of knitting necessities (needles, measuring tape, stitch markers, etc.), and a couple of pattern and help books under the end table beside my couch.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007 06:46:02 AM »

I purcchased a small rolling cart from the container store. On the top shelf are my books the middle shelf has my needles/notions and the bottom shelf holds my spinning supplies. Its super tiny, only 10 inches wide and 2 feet long and it rolls easily into any corner. It really comes in handy for when I knit/spin in rooms other then the living room because I can take all my stuff with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
clicksticks
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007 07:30:58 AM »

Do you have any space under your couch?  My couch/futon has a pretty big clearance underneath and it has occurred to me that it would be a perfect storage spot if my stash expands any further...seems you could do the same with books.  Perhaps organize them into a couple of under-the-bed style plastic containers?  Yours will just become under-the-couch instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007 05:05:00 PM »

Thanks everyone, for all of your great suggestions.  Grin

Unfortunately, I have no storage space under the bed or couch.
I was also thinking about a battery powered light, for under the stairs. Great minds think alike, they say.   Cheesy
The rolling bin idea is a good one.
Maybe if the drawers (in a rolling bin) could hold a lot of binders, knitting books, and accessories.
Yet, it can't be too large. Because our living room is so tiny.
There is only 1 tiny spot where I maybe could put something like that.
I'll have a peek, next time I'm at Walmart.  Roll Eyes
I'll measure the tiny corner before I go, so that I'll know that it'll fit into that little space.
Pull out drawers, would be a real bonus.  Grin

Too bad that the storage space under the stairs, has a wee step-up and so a rolling bin couldn't go in there.  I'd have to lift it in and out all the time.  lol.
Or I could put both a battery powered light AND a bin with drawers, in the little room under the stairs.
Aha, now that would be even better.
It wouldn't take up more space in the living room.

Thanks again everyone!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madgirl66
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007 05:21:24 PM »

Books are stacked, with the patterns I intend to knit marked with small post-its. Magazines are also stacked. I don't keep binders.
Note- I DO keep books and magazines, but the patterns that I intend to knit in the foreseeable future are copied and placed in a portable hanging file. The file has separate folders labeled scarves, sweaters, bags, hats,socks, etc. There is also a folder for instructions (grafting, kitchener stitch, blocking techniques, color theory,etc. ) and one for stitch patterns that I get off the internet (afghan blocks and cable stitches, mostly). The file also has all the patterns pulled off the internet that I know I'll knit (or can see myself knitting) someday.
It's easier for me to keep the patterns from magazines and books that I intend to knit (the ones that really pop out at me) in the file, because I can take that file with me wherever I go, be it upstairs/downstairs, to a friend's house, or to knit night, if I wanted to, or take only a section (all the sweater or scarf patterns I feel comfortable knitting, if I'm knitting for a friend or as a suggestion for a gift).
That's what works for me. The binders can fill up way too fast, IMHO, and I like the "expandability" of the files.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007 05:52:32 PM »

Thanks madgirl66, for your suggestions.    Roll Eyes

Files are a great idea. Unfortunately, I just bought some more binders.  Undecided
But inside them, I do have dividers that are labelled.
For example: One binder will be children's patterns. And inside, there are dividers that are labelled as: hats, scarfs, mitts, pants, sweaters, etc.....
Another binder: For adults. Again with dividers and labelled.
Another binder: Tutorials and instructions.
Another binder: not yet used. For this one, I'd like to fill it with assorted stitch patterns that I can find on the internet and, ones that I get in my emails.

It is handy though as, I can bring just one pattern with me if I go out.
Unfortunately, the pattern isn't protected.
I know that some people put their patterns in page protectors.

The part that I hate the most is, punching the holes and adding the reinforcements to the holes.
It's soooooo time consuming, yet very necessary.

You have a great idea with the post-its.  I'll have to pick some up.
Sometimes I'll see a pattern in a book or magazine that I really like and think that some day, I might like to knit one up.
But when I want to look at it again, I forget where I originally saw it.   Embarrassed

Thanks again, you've been a great help to me with your ideas.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007 08:04:49 PM »

I have an Excel file. 

Since I'm on the computer often enough anyway, my stash is listed on one sheet with brand (if applicable), weight or gauge if I don't know offhand (i.e. some I know are worsted), # of skeins & yardage if necessary, color, and patterns I'm thinking of making them into.  I'm diligent with adding new yarn--I've learned that I need to have a project for the yarn, otherwise I gather too much (I was good and returned some this summer!).

On another page are projects I'd like to do (name, source), and a third page has a to-get list (i.e. for patterns I want to buy, yarn I need to get).

My magazines & books are not that extensive, so they're in one pile. The loose patterns are in a drawer, right above my needle, hook, & other knitting accessories & tools.  I'm a big fan of PDF & Word files for patterns.  I also copy pictures off the internet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Cyndi Lauper on Her Memoir
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever" Audio Book
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever"
Rebecca Serle on "When You Were Mine"
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...