A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: American Girl Swap! (CLOSED send outs 11/8)  (Read 6993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whyme81687
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007 07:48:43 AM »

Reminder that sign ups are closing on wednesday. so far there's only one person signed up Sad if you want to do it be sure to send in your questionnaire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007 09:42:33 AM »

What Felicity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007 09:27:21 PM »

What types of things would you swap? And maybe you could extend the deadline??? Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
imajacobs
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007 06:36:20 AM »

I think I will be getting an AG doll for my 7yo for Christmas, so this is appealing to me.  But I have a few questions.  I have never made clothing before, so how hard is it to make small clothes?  Where do I find patterns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathy
Maltiriel

I touch the fire and it freezes me

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007 07:45:25 AM »

I have never made clothing before, so how hard is it to make small clothes?  Where do I find patterns?
I think the bigger issue is how much you've used patterns before (assuming you want to use patterns and not just make stuff up).  I can sew, but I mostly make stuff up, so I have a lot of trouble following commercial patterns.  I just don't know the terminology.  If you're good with patterns it's no more difficult working on doll clothes than anything else.  You might find it kind of awkward working on such a small scale though; my mom hates making doll clothes, because everything's so small and fussy.  On the other hand I prefer doll clothes, because I find it much less of a hassle to work with a small bit of fabric for a dress than a couple of yards for a human-sized dress.  That's all just personal preference though, so you'll just have to try it and see what you think.

As far as finding patterns, the first six dolls (Kirsten, Molly, Samantha, Felicity, Addy, and Josefina) had official patterns sold by the company.  They're discontinued, but they're pretty common on ebay.  I've been looking for them lately, and the prices vary wildly depending on the auction.  Kirsten seems to be the most common and is pretty easy to get for a decent price ($20-$30; according to my mom the patterns sold originally for around $25).  I've only seen a few Josefina auctions and those went for crazy amounts, like over $60.  I think it's because she was the last doll out of the six and the patterns were discontinued not that long after she came out, so there were simply fewer patterns produced.

So anyway, you can get official patterns, but they're pretty pricey.  That's definitely not the only option, however.  Most (all?) of the major pattern companies sell doll clothing patterns.  I know right off hand that Simplicity, McCalls, and Vogue all have them.  You'll need to look for the 18" doll patterns, though for most of them it'll be easy to tell anyway because the models for the clothes are either American Girl dolls or very close knock-offs.  There's a much wider variety of clothing in these patterns, from historical stuff to Halloween costumes (one of the companies, I *think* Simplicity, actually has Disney princess costume patterns for dolls) to modern clothes, and you should be able to pick up most patterns for a few dollars.  There are a ton of McCall's patterns being sold on ebay, by the way, which I keep seeing because the sellers will say something like "fits Addy Kirsten" or whatever.

During google searches, I've also noticed quite a few websites with patterns for free or for sale.  There seem to be a decent number of knitting/crochet patterns floating around, as well, if you'd like to try that.

Anyway, that's probably way more than you wanted to know...  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There IS a choice: Vote Libertarian!
Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
whyme81687
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007 07:51:47 AM »

Hey you guys I will be extending the deadline until i don't really know yet. But this is my long day of classes at uni so i won't officially change the deadline until at least 7:30 tonight. But it will be delayed. As far as making small clothes i personally find it easier. I'm not big into sewing but i crochet a ton, i prefer making smaller things. And even though i don't sew a lot my first sewing project was a jumper for my doll and since i hand sew (can't figure out those stupid sewing machines technology hates me) it's much easier to hand sew it because it's smaller and much less time consuming. But I can see how little details can get annoying but that's what i love about them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007 07:54:48 AM »

What types of things would you swap? And maybe you could extend the deadline??? Smiley Smiley Smiley
Thanks for extending-I know my daughter would love this, but she's nervous what you would swap. Just clothes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
whyme81687
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007 07:58:41 AM »

Um well clothes or anything else I personally don't own an actual american girl doll, i own a knock off that's the same size and looks like samantha because my parents couldn't afford to buy me the real ones, so while it would be nice to have some clothes i'd love anything else american girl related. things like journals, purses anything you'd like. it's up to you really. I don't want to limit it to only people who own the dolls because i know plenty of people who loved the books but could never own the products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007 08:15:27 AM »

Perfect parameters! You could make cases for the dolls-things that were in the books...Our house owns 4 dolls and all of the books and my daughters are both in their teens,LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyme81687
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007 08:24:54 AM »

Haha i'm in college and still love the series. I've visited the American Girl Place in both Chicago and New York and both within the last few years and LOVED it. It's such an experience going there and seeing the dolls all on display and the various displays they have. They even have the clothes and props from the movies which was awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Convert to Solid
How to use Architectural Desktop 2008 - Annotation Scaling
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 2
How to use Architectural Desktop - Wall Cleanup with XREFS
Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Merges and Joins
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...