A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn storage  (Read 6474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2006 12:37:57 PM »

Are you planning on being a rich student?  If not, then you don't have to worry about storing the yarn.  Wink
That's true!
Thanks for all these great tips. I do know how to fill in wall holes, but I'll have to look up what the rules are for the dorm. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2006 12:56:35 PM »

I'm having major flashbacks to my dormroom days from thirteen years ago! If I remember correctly, you're not going to have the time the last days of school to repair your walls properly. You're going to be so rushed with finals and papers and packing and last minute everything. My school pretty much kicked us out after the last day of exams. In my days, we just had time to fill in the holes with toothpaste before departing posthaste. Your're going to have so much fun and good luck with your storage solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006 01:05:01 PM »

Knowing how to fill wall holes is great but some places might not give you the option of doing it yourself. The 3-M Command Adhesive products would be the best way to go and the JUMBO hook will hold 7.5 lbs. That is quite a bit of yarn especially if you get one of those light weight net tube things from Ikea that were shown in an earlier post.

Not yarn related but you should take a set of basic tools (screwdriver - phillips & slot, hammer, pliers, asst. nails/screws, etc.) and at least one roll of ducktape. Last year about graduation time Target had bright colored tools in the dollar section - I bought enough bright pink sets for several graduation gifts. Even if you don't know how to fix something it is easier to get help if you have the tools.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wrybrarian
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006 01:20:09 PM »

In my very small house with no closets (really!), I finally decided to kick my shoes out of my Ikea shoe rack and fill it with my yarn. Heh.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=61027
THIS ROCKS   Logged

medea
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006 01:27:05 PM »

ugh. I remember a university website that had this complete section on making your dorm room look like home. Basically they gave ideas on how to put up shelves, make false walls with 2x4s and fabric and much more.

What I remember is that they recommended getting 2x4's and wedging them in the nooks and crannies by cutting them just slightly shorter than the wall and covering the ends in carpet remmnants.

Another option is getting a tension shower curtain rod or curtain rod and using it as an extra closet pole for the hanging mesh baskets.

The most extreme option was basically building a wooden frame that fits over the wall and then wedging it in with carpet covered wooden blocks to hold it in place. The carpet will keep the wood from scuffing the walls and damaging them. The idea is that you can cover this frame with fabric and then you can nail directly on the studs and columns of your fake wall.

I'd recommend becoming a pole vaulter, getting two matching chests of drawers or wardrobes with a flat top and setting the bed over them. You'll have lots of Under the bed storage, and you may even be able to fit a desk in there if you aren't that claustrophobic. Or just ditch the desk and use it for yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006 01:35:20 PM »

You could use the flat kind of shoe holder and attach it to a hanger or, buy the over-the-door style. Or, buy/make a shower curtain/curtain with pockets and hang it from your curtain rod, if you have one. Or, if you have shelves, you can buy metal baskets that hook to the shelf, creating a cubby below the shelf (they just side in place). They are normally sold in either the kitchen or closet section of home stores. Also, if you have room to put furniture in your space, make EVERYTHING functional: a trunk for a coffee table, bed with underbed storage, nightstand/end tables with drawers, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2006 02:06:01 PM »

i live in the tiniest dorm currently (length of 2 reg. twin beds x maybe 7 feet...it's taller than it is wide) and somehow i have managed to bring all my crafts with me.  i think the packing gods shone their light on me, but anyway.  check to see if your furniture is movable.  if they don't know, make them go check.  somebody knows somewhere, and knowing ahead of time will save you lots of trouble.  if you do, buy the tallest bed risers you can find, and lots of rubbermaid tubs/bins/file cabinet things.  you may have to do a little leap onto the bed, but the amount of things you can fit under there is incredible.  if you don't, get a floorplan with measurements and buy things that will fit into the spaces.  i keep my yarn in a sweater hanger from ikea, like this, only wider: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=16198&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=61021&langId=-1&parentCats=16198*16217*15961
it keeps the dust off and you can get at it easily.  and remember, yarn is squishy, so cram away.  for the stuff that doesn't fit or is in use for a project, i put it in a plastic grocery bag and hook the handles over a hanger.  not very pretty, but you can hook one hanger on the bottom of another and make a chain and store a lot it a little space.  all of the dorms here have one shelf in the closet, but the ceiling is several feet away, so you can stack them with plastic bins.  a small folding stool will come in handy for getting them down.  someone earlier mentioned a stuffed animal hammock thing, which i think is brilliant.  they're called "pet nets" 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2006 03:11:28 PM »

I LOVE the idea of a shower rod and hanging things. No wall damage! I'm looking into those hammocks, and Behold! The crafty version comes forth! How to make your own corner hammock!
http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa020206.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amey
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2006 11:01:37 PM »

Also, repairing a hole in a wall is not rocket science, depending on the size of the hole.  It might be worth it to get a quickie lesson in that so that you could do your own repairs. 

~amey

Thats a cool Idea. Its good to know lots of little repair stuff like that especially when you are on your own
Yeah, I went to college (Russell Sage College in scenic Troy, NY) knowing how to do a couple of small home repairs (and use hand tools safely).  It came in handy one day when 2 out of the 4 toilets on our floor weren't working.  I opened the back of the tank (tells you something about the age of these buildings - the toilets had tanks in the back like a home toilet versus those tankless ones that are in most institutions).  The little chain bit had separated from the flusher handle (I know how to do the repair - but not the names of the parts).  So, I went back to my room and got my roommates needle nosed pliers and was doing the repair when she found me with her tools in the toilet tank.  She was NOT pleased.  Explaining to her that the water in the tank is clean didn't work, nor did explaining that my 5 minutes of work fixed two toilets rather than waiting 24-48 hours for maintainence to come.  I washed the pliers well with hot soapy water.  She may have bleached them.   Roll Eyes  Toilet repair was beneath her.  "That what we pay these people for." 

Princess.

~amey (whose 5 year old son is currently fascinated with how the toilet works  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrl82
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2006 05:20:19 AM »

Also, repairing a hole in a wall is not rocket science, depending on the size of the hole.  It might be worth it to get a quickie lesson in that so that you could do your own repairs. 

~amey

Thats a cool Idea. Its good to know lots of little repair stuff like that especially when you are on your own
Yeah, I went to college (Russell Sage College in scenic Troy, NY) knowing how to do a couple of small home repairs (and use hand tools safely).  It came in handy one day when 2 out of the 4 toilets on our floor weren't working.  I opened the back of the tank (tells you something about the age of these buildings - the toilets had tanks in the back like a home toilet versus those tankless ones that are in most institutions).  The little chain bit had separated from the flusher handle (I know how to do the repair - but not the names of the parts).  So, I went back to my room and got my roommates needle nosed pliers and was doing the repair when she found me with her tools in the toilet tank.  She was NOT pleased.  Explaining to her that the water in the tank is clean didn't work, nor did explaining that my 5 minutes of work fixed two toilets rather than waiting 24-48 hours for maintainence to come.  I washed the pliers well with hot soapy water.  She may have bleached them.   Roll Eyes  Toilet repair was beneath her.  "That what we pay these people for." 

Princess.

~amey (whose 5 year old son is currently fascinated with how the toilet works  Grin )

lol

I know what you mean. Im in auto tech this year (not by choice, unfortunately) but it is pretty cool because at the end of this class no machanic will be able to cheat this little helpless female Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and join the Inuyasha Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78764.0

Celebrate all things Fae in the Fae Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79942.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic and Glam Eyeliner Tutorial Backstage at Dennis Basso NYFW 2014
Beauty Trend: How To Wear Pastels
The Tricks To Applying Red and Nude Lipstick
Cleanse Skin and Remove Makeup in One Step
Jennifer Aniston Reveals Her Tips for Perfect Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...