A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 307,974
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn storage  (Read 8927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

punkrockmom

never trust a knitter with the grocery money

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2004 05:36:53 AM »

who/what/when/where do you keep your yarn? its time for my quarterly clean out. i used to use those plastic zipper bags that bedding & comforters come in but i used some as totes and never got them back. and the one bag i do have the zipper broke off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo37.blogspot.com
Tere
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004 05:48:34 AM »

Hey Punkrockmom,
I have a big book shelf that has rectangular openings/shelves. I stack my skeins in there. I put the ones I don't care for anymore and probably won't want to use any time soon in the back. Also, I have colorful buckets hung on the wall (by their handles) and these would be great for yarn too. I really like displaying yarn I love, but maybe you're looking for something that tucks them away a bit more. In that case, you can buy really nice baskets for pretty inexpensively, and some have cloth linning that will keep from snagging. Good luck!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoglady

I'm dating... and it comes with snacks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004 11:07:03 AM »

I just so happened to be reading The Yarn Harlot's Blog today, and she has been posting gift ideas for knitters. And one of the ideas today was storage bags for yarn. This is just one of the many reasons why I love the harlot  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004 05:49:07 PM »

I use a hanging canvas shelf (made for sweaters, I believe) that I got eons ago at Ikea.  It hangs over the closet rod and has open shelves (without any real support though).  I also bought a set of 6 carboard boxes with lids from Zellers (yay cheap tacky Canadian stores!) for about $7 or so and these work well, although I have to figure out a way to label them so I don't have to look through each one each time I need something. 

My yarn storage woes have eased by enormous proportions since I snagged a used yarn winder from ebay for cheap cheap cheap!  I love my yarn winder.  The precise, almost puck-shaped (yeah, I'm Canadian) pull skeins of my ridiculous stash of yarn makes me so happy.  The yarn sits flat where I put it and fits into the boxes much better... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
subloke
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004 06:03:23 PM »

it's a hand-crank winder that clamps onto a table or whatever is handy.  It says "SILVER" on it, but that's the only identifying mark I can find.  I searched on ebay for it and was so happy to get it.  I looked at new hand-crank ones and got this one for at least $20 (CDN) cheaper.  It works well and is pretty fast.  i want to try an automatic one just to see how fast it could get!  It's kind of a satisfying feeling to wind up my yarn into ...  there I go again.  I seem to have this thing for things being neat and tidy with clean lines.  ironic when i look around my apartment at the piles of crafts and books and things strewn about...  hmm... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
karenie
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005 06:08:10 AM »

where do you all keep your stash? i'm looking for a storage method for my growing pile, as i live in a teeny dorm room and am rapidly running out of space, and the giant plastic bag on my floor isn't cutting it anymore. anybody got creative ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life, in a knitterly fashion
http://knitterlyfashion.blogspot.com
gloriana
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005 06:10:33 AM »

it's not exactly creative, but I keep mine in plastic bins that I bought at Target - the kind you can stack.  seems to work well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
julia2222
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005 08:12:57 PM »

I keep mine in a big pink basket in the middle of the floor of my dorm room- mostly b/c it annoys my roomate, but sometimes I stash the basket under my bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005 08:36:18 PM »

I found plastic bins - like with the front half gone so you can stack but still access stuff- at the local dollar general - 2 for $2. I use them for my hardware/thread/ribbon stashes. Fabric... well, fabric just gets wadded up and thrown in the floor of the craft-room closet (BAD craftster! bad! bad!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005 09:10:55 PM »

I knit stuff to keep my knitting stuff in. It is a vicious cycle! I keep my stuff in plastic bins, knitted bags, tote bags. . . the stuff that still doesn't have a home is strewn about my dorm room to remind me that it needs to be made into something sweet. My roomate hasn't said anything, but I think she maybe be planning an intervention for me. It's a disease, I tell you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...