A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock yarn recommendations?  (Read 467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 19, 2007 07:33:42 AM »

Short story even shorter..

I'm wanting to knit my dad some socks for Christmas - I have a pattern chosen, and it calls for 150g of yarn.

Honestly, I don't know a heck of a lot about sock yarn (I've only knit one other pair previously), and I don't know where to start.

This is what I know I need:

-150g
- preferably superwash (if it's not superwash, I tend to break out in hives Sad) or cotton
- soft
- affordable
- either navy, black, or gray
- fingering weight
- preferably no alpaca

Any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! I am truly feeling lost at the moment!

Oh, and if it helps, I'm in Canada Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
Madeleine09
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007 08:15:29 AM »

I don't know what your local craft stores are like, but a LYS is always a good place to start. If you don't have a something local, I really like knitpicks.com for basic plain colors. Other places like are awesome, but they tend to have multi-colored skeins. And since you are knitting for a man, I am assuming you want just a solid color. Knitpicks has a great selection of yarn, just click on the fingering weight section, and then they have quite a few choices of superwash!
Also, if you have a LYS, I often find that they have solid colors in sport weight but not fingering weight, and I tend to get a good guage for socks with that. Also it seems to be cheaper that way then some "traditional" sock yarns.
GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tribe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007 08:51:01 AM »

check out etsy, search superwash and you will find a ton of what you are looking for Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007 06:47:38 PM »

I don't know what your local craft stores are like, but a LYS is always a good place to start. If you don't have a something local, I really like knitpicks.com for basic plain colors. Other places like are awesome, but they tend to have multi-colored skeins. And since you are knitting for a man, I am assuming you want just a solid color. Knitpicks has a great selection of yarn, just click on the fingering weight section, and then they have quite a few choices of superwash!

GOOD LUCK!

Definitely wanting a solid colour - which I think is why I might be having such issues  Sad  My Dad is a manly man (with a soft spot for knit socks - he still gushes about the ones my grandma used to make him) - I don't think he'd have much appreciation for variegation or whatnot.

I had looked at knitpicks, and had been considering the Essential, but then read on Ravelry that it can either be scratchy or soft and end up piling - which is what's made me a bit concerned about choosing that one. I think that's what lead me to posting here for recommendations  Grin

check out etsy, search superwash and you will find a ton of what you are looking for Smiley

I looked, and found a TON that I'd like for myself *cough*and will be buying come payday*cough*, but nothing really suitable for my Dad - thanks for the suggestion though - I hadn't even thought to look there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
Jacklad
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007 10:02:32 PM »

Regia has some solids/heathers: http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/Regia_Yarn_Sockyarn_by_Schachenmayr_Yarn.shtml

They're reasonably priced, shipping is about $10 more per order. It's a Canadian site so no duty, and if you're not in BC, you even save PST.

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguino
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007 11:02:12 PM »

Check out the lorna lace shepherd sock.  It is lovely and comes in varigated and solid colors.  The varigated color ones are very yummy.  About $11 a skein.  If you have small feet and knit ankle sock, you can knit a pair with one skein.

I use KP essential to knit a pair of sock for my bf.  It is soft.  But don't know how it will hold up since he have not use it once (we live in CA so wool sock probably have to wait until we go to east coast in xmas).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007 09:15:35 AM »

IMO, solid dark colors can be a pain to work with -- it's hard to see what you're doing, especially when you're using tiny sock needles.  My husband made me promise never to knit with solid black on size 0 needles again after I got a second migraine from it, and I was just doing garter stitch. 

You might want to see if you can get something that's at least a little marled -- like maybe some Brown Sheep Co. Wildfoote in a color like Master Grey (a combo of gray, black, and cream).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Decorative Window Films
How to Do Scrapbooking Techniques
How to Make Scrapbook Designs
How to Make Pre-made Scrapbook Pages
How to Put Together a Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...