A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Wedding Bedspread  (Read 1053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dianarchy

Be Rational. Get Real.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2007 06:32:22 AM »

I'm making a bedspread/afghan for my friend as a wedding gift.  I've got a design in mind, and as it's a wedding gift, I thought I'd do it in a nice neutral color, maybe white or cream.  Her bedroom is blue, though, so in all honesty, I haven't decided.  I'll be doing it in filet crochet, because I love the look of those old fashioned bedspreads/tablecloths, but I have no patience for thread crochet (not to mention it would take me about 80 years to crochet something out of thread that would be big enough for a bed).

I'm doing some rough calculations for how big this thing is going to be.  I was aiming for a blanket that was approximately 102"x116".  I swatched up some worsted weight (some ugly-color red heart super saver I had laying around), and I do 7 "squares" every 5 inches.  I was also pretty tickled that that worked in both directions.  I'd never believe that I was capable of making squares that weren't really just rectangles Wink  Plus I got to try out some two-color filet that I'd been experimenting with in my brain.  Anyway, that means I'd need a design that was approximately 145 x 165 (squares).

*takes a deep breath* This is getting big.  Good thing she's my best friend.  Let's keep going.

I found a GORGEOUS pattern online that measures 81 x 83 squares.  Okay, I say to myself, this pattern is just too beautiful to pass up.  Let's make it two patterns by two patterns.  That works out to being 162 x 169 (squares)  (In my worsted weight calculations, that works out to be 115" by 120")  (And this isn't including any border I'd put around the edge).  Yeesh.  Good thing the wedding isn't for 11 months from now.  Well, if I get a smaller yarn/hook, I could work the squares out smaller than my previous gauge.

So that brings me to now.  I'd like something that's fairly nice to feel, but not too expensive.  I spent over $200 making the Too Good For Your Boyfriend sweater out of the Happy Hooker, because I'm a big girl and sprung for the Noro Kureyon.  I was thinking about chenille (it's always on sale at AC Moore, it seems like), but it seems like chenille blankets don't hold up well.  Or maybe that was just in my house growing up ... my dad doesn't always read care labels very well ... thoughts?  Neither of them (my friend or her fiance) have any fiber allergies, but I'd rather not work with wool if I can help it.  If need be, I'll just stock up on Claritin for the next several months.  I'm curious about more "non traditional" fibers like hemp/soy/bamboo, but I live in the boonies and doubt I could find any to feel in person.  I also have no idea how many skeins I'm going to end up needing, so I'm concerned about dye lots.  If I go with an acrylic, I could eliminate that problem, but I'm not sure if I can find one good enough (quality/feel).  If I guess how much yarn I'm going to need (or even find some way to calculate it out), I would feel more comfortable going with a yarn that has dye lots.  Has anyone had any bad experiences with buying yarn online?  Do you have to specifically request that it all comes from one dye lot?

I got pretty rambly in this one, so thanks for reading all this ...

-+-
diana

EDIT: I just realized that instead of going with a smaller yarn/hook, I could make it a really chunky yarn/larger hook, and maybe only go with one 81x83 square.  Hmm.  Something to think about.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007 07:08:50 AM by dianarchy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007 06:36:28 AM »

As far as acrylic, what about Red Heart Soft Yarn?  It is silky to the touch and easy on the hands.  I am using it right now for a blanket and it has a bit of a sheen to it.  And it seems to wash well, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
dianarchy

Be Rational. Get Real.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007 07:07:09 AM »

Sheen!  That's the other feature I was looking for and trying to remember when I proofread this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007 07:09:17 AM »

I like Simply Soft more. It has a nice sheen too and is super-soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007 08:09:43 AM »

I love working with caron simply soft, I made my ds a small blanket last year with it and it's sooo soft and not too spendy either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misfitrad
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007 08:36:35 AM »

Try this place

http://www.sarahsyarns.com/

She has an awesome price on bamboo and will send out samples!

Oh and of course tomes of coupons if you join her list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007 10:51:04 AM »

I like Simply Soft more. It has a nice sheen too and is super-soft.

I love that stuff, too.  Lots of good colors, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
Naff Productions
Make things so far out they're in!

You look marvelous

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007 12:22:30 PM »

If you can find an inexpensive bamboo it would work up to look more like thread than wool or acrylic.  It's wonderful to work with, too.  I think it would make a lovely filet piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naff1 (nf)  adj. Chiefly British Slang.
Unstylish, clichd, or outmoded.

naff2 (nf)  intr.v. Chiefly British Slang. naffed, naffing, naffs
To fool around or go about: naffing about in a tutu (Suzanne Lowry).
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007 04:29:17 PM »

i personally think a cotton yarn would be awesome. if you got a couple of the big cones of sugar & cream or peaches n creme, it probably wouldn't cost too terribly much. it would feel like one of those nice snuggly waffle-weave blankets i'm so in love with ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007 09:20:20 PM »

I've personally found the bernat's handicraft cotton to be softer to the touch than snc. Snc just ate up my hands when working with it for some odd reason.

Caron's pounders don't feel too bad. The simply soft is lovely to the touch, though. And at Joanns it's not too expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Set the (Two-)Tone: Ombré Inspiration to Take to the Salon
Braided Headband Tutorial
Katy Perry’s Hair Colorist on Adding “Adult” Streaks
Discover the Cure For Dry, Lifeless Hair
How to Create the Sock Bun Hairstyle with the Wrap Up
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...