A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycling X-Mas Cards - Tutorial Added  (Read 10024 times)
Tags for this thread: box , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2004 09:15:55 PM »

I posted some pics in another area - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19694.0
These make great little gift boxes and answers the question of what to do with all the cards you get. Does anyone else make these?

Here's how to fold them:
Step One: Tear or cut the front of the card from the back along the fold. With the wrong side of the front facing up, align the back piece flush with one egde. You can hold it up to a light or whatever if you are trying to center a motif. Lightly mark your cutting lines with a pencil. Do the same for the back piece. You can center the words inside, the signature, or whatever. You have to make the back piece slightly smaller than the front piece so it will fit inside the top. I do this by cutting off 1/4" from 2 sides. Cutting off 1/8" from all 4 sides will work just as well or better if you are trying to center a design.

Step Two: Using a ruler, lightly mark from corner to corner on the wrong side of each piece.

Step Three: With wrong side still up, fold the corners to meet the line in the center. Unfold.

Step Four: Now take one corner and fold it to meet the fold you made on the opposite side. Repeat for all corners.

Step Five: Fold the corners in to meet the center again. Now fold the corners down to meet the folded edge.

Step Six: On 2 opposing sides, cut along the inner fold lines up to the centermost fold line.

Step Seven: Fold the corners back in to meet the middle on the opposite side that you just cut. Fold up on the second fold line to make them sit up. Fold the pointed ends in to form the other edges of the box.

Step Eight: Fold the small tabs over the sides and the point to the middle.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004 02:07:53 PM by redqueen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid Kills. But not enough to really help.
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004 03:21:28 PM »

thank you thank you,  wow, even your graphics for your tutorial is really cool! pray tell, what can you not do?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004 04:26:13 PM »

pray tell, what can you not do?!

uuhhhh.....Keep my house clean?! Follow a recipe?! Remember where I left my glasses?! Since I am probably one of the oldest people that post on here, I guess I just have more years of experimenting with crafts than most, that's all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinted
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004 10:54:26 PM »

Thank you sooo much for posting such a nice clear tutorial!! I have tried a few that I have found, and never could figure out how to do it.My "boxes" kept coming out as rectangles. I just finished my first real box, thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jademaya

Creative.Real.Artistic.Friendly.Talented.Youthful!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004 01:52:39 AM »

Hey...that's cool

Now we dont have to buy those silly boxes where the shops ripped us off. :p

Anyway, what is the minimum size of the paper to make it work? And the thickness?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rules are meant to be broken, and not all problems in life are meant to be resolved...That's why we are all here thinking of new ways to transform ordinary everyday items into quirky cool stuff...Rock on! XXOO
redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004 04:21:24 PM »

Anyway, what is the minimum size of the paper to make it work? And the thickness?

Minimum? Hmmm, I dunno. I think the smallest I've personally ever down was about 2 1/2" square and was a photogragh (I centered the face, it looked cool but disturbing at the same time). I'd guess that the smaller you went, the thinner the paper would need to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dcjitterbug
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004 09:30:44 PM »

This tutorial was so helpful.  My boxes turned out well.  I used glossy magazine covers to make mine (no x-mas cards around) and put chocolate truffles in them to give as gifts.  Thanks!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ex-Boyfriend... Add to Your Collection
http://www.ex-boyfriendcollection.com
redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004 03:55:23 AM »

This tutorial was so helpful.  My boxes turned out well.  I used glossy magazine covers to make mine (no x-mas cards around) and put chocolate truffles in them to give as gifts.  Thanks!!!

http://www.dchipster.com/gallery/art/candy.jpg

Those are great, chocolate.........YUM!

<<<edited to remove photo from quote - please remember to delete IMG tags when quoting ~ thanks!!>>>
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007 07:40:26 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005 12:16:36 AM »

I wish I could, like, "save" the page with this tutorial. So I'll still have it when it's no longer here, in eight years or so when I suddenly feel a need to make these Wink Ahh, wish I hade a printer...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
evaberry
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005 01:06:23 AM »

I wish I could, like, "save" the page with this tutorial. So I'll still have it when it's no longer here, in eight years or so when I suddenly feel a need to make these Wink Ahh, wish I hade a printer...

As long as redqueen doesn't mind, you can copy and paste the text and images into Word. But ask her first Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diamond Buying Tips
Jewellery Making UK
How to Make a Charm Bracelet
Free Jewellery Making Book
How to Make Jewellery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...