A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Confused and frustrated...  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebuffster
That's what she said!!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2007 04:59:29 PM »

So I'm having a bit of a hiccup here. I've settled with learning how to knit through the internet instead of buying a book like I did crochet and I've come across something that's made me quite frustrated.

1. One site says this:
is what a "knit stitch" should look like
and this:

is what a "purl stitch" should be. However http://www.worldknit.com/ explains them to be opposite. Which is correct.

2. And second, why is it whether I do a "knit stitch" or a "purl stitch", it ALWAYS turns out like this one??

Grr. Learning to crochet wasn't this hard...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007 05:07:03 PM »

The purl is the back (wrong side or WS) of a knit stitch.

Technically the first picture is of the reverse (WS) Stockinette stitch (purls all worked on one side) and the second is the Stockinette stitch (knits all worked on one side).

If your knits and purls are mixed up together, it's hard at first to tell that apart from the reverse Stockinette stitch. 

I think it would help to look at the videos on www.knittinghelp.com (turn the sound on, she's very helpful!). Smiley  In addition to different ways to create knit or purl stitches, her glossary section is very helpful, with some video links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 05:09:56 PM »

agreed. I learned to knit on my own, and was so lost until somebody pointed me to www.knittinghelp.com   She's very helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loudgrrl4_ever
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007 05:14:47 PM »

The mustard yarn is done in garter stitch, which means you knit every stitch of every row (when you aren't knitting in the round).

The pink is stockinette stitch, which means you knit every stitch of one row, and purl every stitch of the next row.

Regardless of whether you are knitting or purling, if you knit every stitch of every row or purl every stitch of every row, it will look like the mustard swatch.

When you knit, you make a little bump of yarn on the side opposite of the piece you are working on, in other words the side you are not looking at. When you purl, the bump ends up on the side you are looking at. [When you start following patterns, it will specify which side is the right side, or the side that is meant to be viewed when you are done, and the wrong side, or the back or inside of the piece on which you are working.] The little bump that each stitch creates is the only difference between knitting and purling. Garter stitch (whether with all purls or all knits) places each row of bumps on the opposite side of the previous row, whereas stockinette stitch places all the bumps on one side of the fabric, creating the "v"s seen in the pink swatch.

Check out knittinghelp.com, it taught me to knit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebuffster
That's what she said!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 05:26:59 PM »

Oh my goodness thank you soooo much! I was about to throw in the towel on the whole knitting thing...Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ameythestlily
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007 05:30:27 PM »

Actually knittinfiasco is right.. the mustard is the back of a stockinette and the pink is the front. Garter stitch would have a bigger ridge than stockinette. If you purl on the same side as a knit it just creates a slightly smaller ridge. When you purl are you pulling the yarn to the front, and when you knit does it stay to the back? cause otherwise you're just doing the same stitch over and over again.
I'd say go with xx_kellybean, knittinghelp.com is the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
missknitty
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007 05:35:43 PM »

Yep, I second knittinghelp.com - awesome video tutorials! And, of course, the knitters here are very helpful indeed (I can attest to THAT)! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007 07:57:39 PM »

The mustard yarn is done in garter stitch, which means you knit every stitch of every row (when you aren't knitting in the round).

The pink is stockinette stitch, which means you knit every stitch of one row, and purl every stitch of the next row.

Regardless of whether you are knitting or purling, if you knit every stitch of every row or purl every stitch of every row, it will look like the mustard swatch.......

loudgrrl4_ever this is a very nice explanation - you have a really nice way of making it very simple to understand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeydew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007 11:18:30 PM »

Bumps end up on the side facing you as you knit = purls
Bumps end up on the back side of your knitting = knits

That has helped me to figure out what I'm looking at if I lose count in a stitch pattern.

Also, Debbie Stoller's description of the direction of the loop around the stitch you're knitting has been helpful: she says if it looks like the stitch has a scarf around it's neck, it's a knit stitch.  If it looks like it has a noose around it's neck, it's a purl stitch.  Whether you knit or purl depends on your stitch pattern and what texture you're trying to create, but it is definitely helpful to know what each stitch looks like on the needles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Cheese Platters and Pairings
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...