A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sterling silver double hoops-pics, finally!  (Read 1064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wontonzero
« on: September 18, 2007 01:21:20 PM »

Wow, it took me forever to take pics of my favorite earrings. I admit, these have been done for a few months...but I still love them best!

I made them using flat sheet 20g sterling silver and after cutting, sanding, filing, and shaping, I soldered on a sterling post. YAY!

Anyone else get into metal working?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 11:21:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007 01:26:11 PM »

These look great! I am not a metal worker, but I wish I was.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 01:42:36 PM »

Those are really beautiful! I used to take a great metal working class, it was so much fun! Where do you buy your silver from? I've been wanting to work with metal at home, but I never could find where to buy supplies  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wontonzero
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007 01:48:05 PM »

Those are really beautiful! I used to take a great metal working class, it was so much fun! Where do you buy your silver from? I've been wanting to work with metal at home, but I never could find where to buy supplies  Huh

Thanks! I got that silver from http://www.riogrande.com. Their shipping gets a bit costy if you're making a small purchase. I am lucky enough to have a shop in my area that caters to metal workers so I can get sterling from them for a bit more if I'm in a bind.

I was too slow and missed my opportunity for the class this time around. I do have some tools at my disposal so I can make a lot of things at my home studio-I just get held up on soldering. I have no torch. Yet. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 03:23:03 PM »

Aw, the pictures are gone. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

long.white.cloud
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007 07:16:47 PM »

Those are truly beautiful!
I just started a metalsmithing/jewelry class and i LOVE it! I think I've really found my 'thing'.
I definitely hope to make things this lovely someday soon.
Did it take much for you to develop your own studio/workspace?
I'm really hoping to go somewhere with it all and maybe even make a bit of a living so if you have any tips for getting started or getting to the point of making things this excellent, let me know!
Again, the earrings are beautiful. Definitely something I would wear.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007 07:20:47 PM by long.white.cloud - Reason: Because I'm silly and reslised you had already mentioned about your home studio in a previous reply. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.guarding the infinite abyss.
Spectrum_Noir
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007 01:20:13 AM »

I am in my first semester of metalsmith/jewelry making even though I am a economics major - but I love it. I am still on my first piece and it is turning out wonky - but at least I am getting better and sawing and filing. I lucked out as my other half already has all the more serious and expensive tools in his garage and is getting me comfortable with the blowtorch already. yay Smiley

I really like your earing's! so nice and professional looking Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007 01:24:11 AM by Spectrum_Noir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better. - Mae West
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007 06:36:51 AM »

Thank you for fixing the pictures. I love, love these earrings.

Someday, I hope to get into metal work too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wontonzero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007 04:00:54 PM »

I'm really hoping to go somewhere with it all and maybe even make a bit of a living so if you have any tips for getting started or getting to the point of making things this excellent, let me know!

Quote from: long.white.cloud

Thanks for the compliments!

Well, it did take me awhile. I took my first metals class in H.S. (10 years ago!)  so I got tons of practice in the basics then. I learned that I was really good with detail work and loved sawing/filing/soldering. A few years ago I just started taking classes because I remembered it was something I loved doing. I found myself  getting so involved my projects that it wase hard to wait until the next class to work them so I bought myself a saw, some needle files,  and a bench pin. Obviously, to make earrings like I made you'd need access to a torch, which I don't have. But, I made the necklace in my avatar at home...all I used was a saw, bench pin, files, hammer, and my dremmel for sanding. I'm far from having my own full studio but I can definitely get by on what I have, for now! Just buy the basics first (saw, bench pin, and maybe a set of needle files, and one larger file for fast metal removal) then build up from there. 

The main tip I have for good results is FILE, FILE, FILE. Then sand and file more. IT is what makes all the difference. And try to be exact when sawing so you don't h ave as much clean up work Wink

I am in my first semester of metalsmith/jewelry making even though I am a economics major - but I love it. I am still on my first piece and it is turning out wonky - but at least I am getting better and sawing and filing. I lucked out as my other half already has all the more serious and expensive tools in his garage and is getting me comfortable with the blowtorch already.

Everyone's first piece turns out wonky but I think you can progress really fast if you like what you're doing! I'm really jealous of that set up. Since you have someone close to you who is already into metalworking you'll be great in no time.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007 04:23:00 PM by wontonzero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Summer Beach Foods With Marc Summers
How to Make a Turkey Sandwich Using Pepper Chutney
How to Make an Open Face Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Amuse Bouche: The Art of Beef Jerky Innuendo
Southwestern Turkey Chili
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...