A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting my sons lunchbox, at least trying to.  (Read 11260 times)
Tags for this thread: salad , thanksgiving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2007 11:11:31 AM »

i think most kids are fine with regular sandwiches, some carrot sticks or celery, crackers, fruit snacks, maybe a thing of pudding, and a juice box. when i was growing up i thought it was weird that kids would take leftovers from the night before in their lunches. also he may not be eating the stuff b/c he might not have access to a microwave. i think most kids also just want to quick get done eating and head out to play.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

popidol131

The real princess and the frog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2007 11:21:57 AM »

maybe its more about what the other kids are eating. their mothers probally just send them in witha sandwich and some fruit and he feels different with such exciting lunches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of creativity is all in the mind.

Never remembered, yet never forgotten.

Only in true love will you find what you are really looking for. And will you find the real you.

http://frogyprincess.blogspot.com/
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2007 11:47:35 AM »

Wow, I'm super impressed with everyone's great lunch ideas! Chick egg? whaaa? So cute!

Sioux: You are doing a great job! Making lunch for kids is such a thankless job -- I say this as a former kid, not a mom. Smiley  You're so awesome for continuing to try fun things, AND for checking in with him on what he likes and doesn't like and what's okay to bring.

I've found that kids like to feel fun and special BUT they also like structure and "normalcy." There's a box around things that are okay to eat for lunch, and things that aren't--kids really know, even if it's impossible for anyone else to tell. Plus, there's the whole public/private thing: it's OK to kiss your mom at home, but Totally Mortifying to do it in public.

Maybe the stuff he *said* he didn't like, he didn't eat because someone else said it looked weird for whatever reason. Kids totally scrutinize each other's lunches, and haven't yet developed tact.

SOO, here's an idea: For a possibly insecure elementary schooler, maybe try a Secret, SuperSpy crafted thing rather than something that makes the *whole* lunch into an experience. It's the different between a public hug and a private hug. He'll notice and feel special, but all his friends can't necessarily tell just by looking at his lunch.

(It's kinda the same as clothes at that age: once you reach a certain level of coolness awareness, you might wear a Pokemon shirt to school, but not a Pokemon *costume.* Smiley

LIKE, working with stuff that you know is OK, sandwiches, veggies, whatever he tells you he likes. And then add special touches, but just one per lunch, so that it still looks like a "regular" lunch: a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, but shaped like a star, or cut up into pieces, or a puzzle, or something. Or, crackers with cheese that's shaped like those cute people. Or, veggies and dip but with the veggies cut into weird shapes. Fruit leather that's shaped like something. Funky melon balls. (ordinary food cut into unexpected shapes is fun for *everyone.*) Etc. Subtle. Cool. Understated. Like James Bond. If he wants more cute things, he'll let you know.

OR, a "normal" looking sandwich but with something "weird" inside that he likes -- bananas and PBJ? Tuna fish salad with crushed potato chips?

OR, cute containers to eat out of -- that way you could put more adventurous things that no one *else* can see. Maybe try that rice but in a closed thermos, with a cool design and a neato mini spoon? Or, cool/crafted napkins etc.

Containers are fun to open, hide "uncool" food, make it easier to save stuff for later, AND sometimes it's more appealing/appetizing to have to open each part of your lunch like a present, rather than open it up and see it all staring at you all at once.

My mom would give me more dinner-y stuff sometimes, but in a lunchy finger-food size: leftover pizza, cut really small in a container. Deviled eggs. Teryaki chicken wings -- like baby drumsticks. You could also do breakfast-y stuff, again maybe in a finger-food style: pancake or french toast strips, with syrup or jam dip? (french toast that looks like french *fries?* heeee!)

Or maybe make it a game for yourself -- an ironic bento box: try to make it *look* as normal and boring as possible, while hiding all sorts of cool stuff? Hee heeee!  Wink

I don't mean to kill yer buzz -- you're doing a great job, and *I* would be totally happy with ALL the lunches on these boards. It's hard being a kid, though. And therefore it's a super hard challenge making food for them. One of these days, he'll realize he's got the coolest lunches on the block.

Best of luck!
-mandy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
siouxdxie
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2007 01:08:55 PM »

Thank you kaciesaurus, fairweatherknitter, Ryoruki, CrochetAdikt, popidol131, mandanak for your thoughts and suggestions. I hope its just wanting to be like his friends. I really liked some of the ideas that you put down mandanak I think I'm going to go for more subtle. Maybe apple shapes and carrot shapes, I really need to go buy those veggie cutters. popidol131 I hoped he would feel like his mommy put more effort in his lunches therefore I'm much cooler then I was before... wishful thinking I know. CrochetAdikt I'm sure he wants to go out and play again I wanted him to see the extra effort I was putting in so he would feel special and then think I'm really cool. Grin  Ryoruki he loves sausage and he will love the sausages shapes and French toast shapes I don't give him syrup he doesn't like it. Fairweatherknitter I hadn't really thought that he wanted comfort food, I'm going to talk to him about that see if it is what is happening. Kaciesaurus I'm going to see if maybe he wants to craft his bento, I think he would love that. Thank you everyone for your good advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeltwaySpinner

Living the Dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2007 01:22:31 PM »

I have been stopped in the last weeks from doing anything to cute for one reason: I start to make my sons lunch he walks in and does this OH NO look and says .... you know mom I really didn't like this, or I wont eat it if things are touching, or its not ok to eat that for lunch.
He didn't eat it, and asked me to never send it again.
It was not touched and he still is talking about how that was the worst lunch ever.
I know this sounds like complaining but I'm just going crazy over this. He will now not eat things that are in shapes.
I'm close to sending him with a bowl of cereal and a carton of milk everyday.
Sorry I have to chime in my 2 cents here.  I will say what no one else has, but I know at least some moms will agree with.  It sounds like you are bending over backwards trying to please your kid.  And he is completely ungrateful.

It is one thing if he is allergic to something, but to be SOOOO picky about the shape of food or food touching or it looking different is just plain ridiculous.  If my kid was so demanding, I would send him to school with crackers and water and nothing more.

You are the adult.  He is the child.  He will have to eat whatever you put in his lunch bag or else go hungry.  He may come home pouting a day or two and complain he didn't like what you packed, but he will NOT starve to death.

It is true that your son may be angling for the prepackaged kid's lunch items, e.g. fruit roll-ups, candy bars, doritos, chips ahoy, lunchables, etc that other kids are probably bringing to school.  In that case,  remind him that you pack his lunch because you don't want him stuffed with sodium, sugar, and preservatives.  As far as 'normalcy' goes, that is relative.  The parents determine what is normal for their family.  If anything, what doesn't seem 'normal' to me is to be overly picky.

My son is also picky, in the sense that he won't eat meat, dairy, or eggs and he routinely turns down junk food, i.e. anything fried.  He became vegan for moral reasons (his own idea) and he asks for healthy items because he sees that is what I eat.   Beyond that, he will eat whatever goes into his lunch bag or he will simply go hungry.  It sounds like I am limited in food options but I am not.  I have become creative and he either loves something or he doesn't.  But at least he is grateful that I take the time to do this for him.

You are preparing meals with love.  You put time and effort into his lunches and it seems like you are being repaid with stress, because he doesn't like this or that, and you are running out of options.  Please don't think I am telling you how to parent.  You know your own child, I don't.  Maybe he does appreciate the work you put into his lunches.

What I can tell you is that I was similarly spoiled by my father and I have carried some baggage into all my adult relationships with men because of it.  Not only that, I had to 'unlearn' poor eating habits as an adult.  I know you want to be a good mom, but giving in to his whims isn't doing him any favors, and won't endear you to his future girlfriends and wife when he grows up to be demanding.  Please don't think I am trying to be harsh.  I am simply giving my genuine response to the posts on this thread.

I sent my 6 yr old to school today with curried potatoes sauteed with onions and tempeh in a thermos.  I can guarantee there isn't a single kid in his entire PreK-8 school eating something similar.  His meal is bright day-glo yellow and it reeks of so much garlic, you would think he was off slaying vampires.  He will eat it and love it, or at the very least pretend to love it. 

eta: The boy just came home and said his curry was one of the best lunches ever.  He says that everyday. lol... funny kid
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007 02:19:14 PM by JeepChick.net » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2007 02:25:46 PM »

His meal is bright day-glo yellow and it reeks of so much garlic, you would think he was off slaying vampires.  He wil eat it and love it, or at the very least pretend to love it. 

ok that made me smile Smiley that has to be really tasty though!! Shocked

Cooking Cute was the website i alluded to before, they mark the recipes that are Gluten Free ideas as well as Buddist Vegetarian Smiley i thought that was really nice!!

even though i'm a mite older i used to complain about my lunches all the time and my mom eventually got fed up and told me that i would pack them or they'd give me money to buy lunch XD she reminded me of that today Smiley

Todays lunch was Rice Pasta, Apple slices with dried cherries and chunks of cheese, a hard boiled egg, and the salad shrimp with sauce. overall it was kinda boring, and i need more veggies, but i really enjoyed having a lot of fruit

also i forgot to say how i make my rice balls, i use a plastic bag and press them into the desired shape, then i can freeze them in the same bag if i want to store them Smiley the only "special items" that i use are the cookie cutters, other than that it's just a knife and scissors. I have some ideas for my next box, i'll let you know how it turns out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
sammy
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2007 04:45:36 PM »

siouxdxie, you must be one of the coolest moms ever! very very inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeltwaySpinner

Living the Dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2007 05:39:05 PM »

Tomorrow's lunch:

-'Salchipapas' in his m&m thermos. 'Salchicha' is another Spanish word for sausage or hot dog. 'Papas' are simply potatoes. 'Salchipapas' is a popular dish for children in Bolivia, where my family is originally from. This was my sister's favorite meal when she was a kid. Really simple to make - think home fries with sliced hot dog. Seasoned only with salt and pepper. I used vegan hot dogs of course. 
-Fruit
-Walnut Brownie Mochi for dessert
-bottle of cranberry lemonade
-little toy puzzle from Halloween to amuse himself at recess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2007 08:26:49 PM »

i LOVE the brownie mochi!!! i put honey on mine  Cheesy

anywho here's tommorow's lunch, eggsalad with radish tulips, carrot chips, cheese and dried cherries, cherry tomatoes, and orange slices

do pears brown if you cut them? i haven't had a pear in such a long time i forgot but bought some yesterday on a whim o.O  Cheesy i also made a little flower bling for my bento-wrap, with the temperature down to the 30's and 40's it reminds me that spring will come again...eventually. .. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
BethinAK
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2007 09:28:09 PM »

Ryo, yes ripe pears get very brown and gross if you cut them!!  The asian pears not so much with a little orange juice.  or slightly unripe.

You've made me hungry for egg salad....

I wish I had taken pictures of the monks lunch this week -I did really nice - with shaped eggs, tiny pigs in a blanket, pomegranite seeds & grapes, and onigiri.  I'll be sure to photo next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Composition in Photoshop
How to Work with hue/saturation in Photoshop
How to create an action in Photoshop Part 2/2
How to Create Baby Photos in Photoshop
How to Create a Gradient in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...