A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: We are Homeowers! But... we've got alot of work today. Fire / Soot Damage  (Read 928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2007 08:14:01 AM »

We've purchased my uncles home which has some firedamage down stairs. The only damage to the main level is soot from the fire, but we hear its going to be a pain to clean.
What I basically would love to know, from anyone who may have done this before, is how on earth to clean it.
The bottom level has 2 bedrooms, full bath, walk in closet, laundry room, and garage. Most of the bedrooms downstairs will be completly gutted and start from scratch.
Other than the door frame at the stars, the upstrais has no fire damage other than some pretty thick soot.
The upstairs is 2 bedrooms, kitchen, master bath, living room, and dining room.
I beleive the entire house is about 3,000 square feet.

We got it for a steal and simply could not pass it up as it is in  on a corner lot, a historical part of our town surounded by big beautiful old houses.

The walls are mostly plaster and we need to know the best way to clean them, the appliance, bathroom fixtures, ceelings, and the wall to wall hardwood floors.

any help would be much appreciate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.co m

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
toomuchrock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007 06:19:52 PM »

Heres an idea of what we've gotta do

THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchrock.etsy.co m

MOOLA! It amazes me
6in1
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 06:23:14 PM »

Talk to your local fire dept.  There is definitely a compound you can buy from hardware stores that works on the soot and smell.  I'm sorry I just forget what it is.  It may also be on a Red Cross website.  They help fire victims all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*crystal*
Promos in a Snap!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007 08:42:01 AM »

Yikes! I would try to salvage anything you can and then gut out the walls and put up new dry wall. But you already said that. Sorry i am no help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brunette42754
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007 11:57:01 AM »

This is going to sound odd but my father was a fireman.  Use the scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner.  A few years ago my friends' house burned pretty bad and everything had smoke damage ie. walls, furniture, carpets, clothes.  We saved almost everything by using the bubbles.  Make sure to wear a mask and very good ventilation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007 08:18:17 PM »

Odoban.  It's available at Walmart and Sams. 

My dear friend's house burned, and she wasn't able to salvage much.  What she did manage to take was a sideboard that belonged to her mom.  The FD suggested she toss it as a loss, but it was very sentimental to her since her mom passed when she was a teen.  She sanded it down and sprayed the whole thing with Odoban.  Let it sit in the garage for about a week, spraying every other day with the Odoban.  At the end of the week you couldn't tell it had been around a fire, much less in one.

I love the stuff....it works on just about any smell.  They say it has a eucalyptus scent, but it's vaguely medicinal to me.  I've used it on everything from fish smell to cat pee, and the smell doesn't come back.

I am in serious tub lust with that bathtub BTW....I hope you are able to get the house in living order soon  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cirobi
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007 05:21:59 PM »

I've used it on everything from fish smell to cat pee, and the smell doesn't come back.

ooo, it's very interesting you specifically point out cat pee as a smell that stuff gets rid of because i just bought a house a little over a week ago and the previous owner had two cats.  the basement smelled horribly of cat pee until my boyfriend took a cement cleaner down there.  my mom says she can still smell it when she and my dad come visit but i guess i've gotten used to it.  definitely going to have to give that a shot down there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty" ~The Cruxshadows
honey924
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007 10:59:27 PM »

My parents own a contracting business where they build and remodel homes and small commercial properties. One thing they do is buy fire damaged homes for cheap, fix them up and then rent them out.

Anyway, on to the important part.
DO NOT CLEAN THE WALLS.
Its a huge waste of time. Go to Home Depot and buy a product called "Kilz Odorless". You paint it directly on the smoke-damaged walls.  It covers the dirty walls, kills the smell, and acts as a primer in one step (actually, I can't remeber if you need 1 or 2 coats)!  You can buy a ton of it, too. My parents got containers so big that I could barely pick then up.
Besides, painting a ceiling is alot better than cleaning one!

Make sure you get Kilz Ordorless, because regular Kilz leaves a funny smell, so make sure you check the labels.

I'm not sure how they do everything else. I can call them and ask if you would like. Smiley

Here is a website for the product:
http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=25
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007 05:16:23 PM »

Anyway, on to the important part.
DO NOT CLEAN THE WALLS.
Its a huge waste of time. Go to Home Depot and buy a product called "Kilz Odorless". You paint it directly on the smoke-damaged walls.  It covers the dirty walls, kills the smell, and acts as a primer in one step (actually, I can't remeber if you need 1 or 2 coats)!  You can buy a ton of it, too. My parents got containers so big that I could barely pick then up.

She's right - I was helping a friend sell a house, and ever since it was built in the late 40's, his family had been extremely heavy smokers, and there was considerable damage on the walls and ceiling.  We had a guy come out and tell us about that stuff honey was talking about.  It seals in the damage, and the smell goes away.  That is also what a restoration company would use.  Good luck1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
toomuchrock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007 05:57:39 PM »

Thanks so much guys. This is really good advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchrock.etsy.co m

MOOLA! It amazes me
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ian Black and Peter Brown Talk About The Purple Kangaroo
Free Agent Book Trailer
Doug Magee Talks About Never Wave Goodbye
City of Glass Book Trailer
Monte Reel Talks About The Last of the Tribe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...