A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,851
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why do we like certain patterns?  (Read 1108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007 01:54:40 PM »

I'm sure that I'll fall in love with Mr. Greenjeans once I start seeing some FO's. It does look really pretty and would be totally flattering on me. I would most definitely NOT knit it in a variegated yarn though. I would probably go for a bold solid color, like a deep brick red or a vibrant olive green. And it would need the right pretty button.

I look for combination of things when I pick out patterns. I want it to be interesting to knit, something a little challenging so I get to learn something new, and it should be functional and flattering but not so generic that I'll see it at Forever 21 next week.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007 04:47:01 PM »

I am also of the sentiment that it's okay, but not interesting/eye-catching/exciting enough for me.

I like unusual constructions & patterns.  I like lace. Smiley I also modify just about everything because I'm of a unique size & shape. (Is it any wonder that's I'm categorized as an adventure knitter? See What kind of knitter are you? quiz)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007 12:18:59 PM »

That's something else about personal taste:  some people can look at a picture of an FO and "see" it in another color, so it's easy for them to say that they like the pattern but would make it in another color.  Other people have a hard time with that and if they don't like the color of the FO, they won't make it because they can't "see" the pattern.  Does that make sense?

So I'm going to make the Lemonade cardigan from last month's Magknits, but I hate yellow, so I bought a medium teal green to make it in.  Other people would look at it, hate the yellow, and not make it because they can't picture it in another color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007 03:24:37 PM »

That's something else about personal taste:  some people can look at a picture of an FO and "see" it in another color, so it's easy for them to say that they like the pattern but would make it in another color.  Other people have a hard time with that and if they don't like the color of the FO, they won't make it because they can't "see" the pattern.  Does that make sense?

Yes! Good point!  I'm of that tendency, I've noticed.  Sometimes the initial example is in a color or combination that I react negatively to, but then I see other examples and I want to copy their choice. Smiley

I definitely like patterns that offer FO pics of different colors.  I wouldn't have bought the Simple Knitted Bodice pattern if I had seen it only in the burnt orange & green on their front page, but I LOVED the one in white & the variegated I chose to make my first one in turned out nicely. (Yes, I'm making & planning on making more) Smiley

The same was true of the Bad Penny pattern on Knitty.  The example combo made me pass it by, but then someone on Craftster posted one in a solid color--much more appealing to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesdmill
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007 03:39:51 PM »

I can usually see beyond a color I don't like, but I will almost always pass on a sweater where the sample is knit in a variegated yarn.  I think it obscures details for me, and I personally don't care for variegated yarn in a whole sweater (love it for accessories!) so I will usually pass.

I look at the modeled photo and check for crazy poses that might make me think something doesn't fit right.  Beyond that I look for interesting shapes or details.  I like sweaters that are either fitted or intentionally loose (the swingy silhouette that's so big right now) but I'm not a fan of an in between fit.  But that's personal taste.  I will say that I will be more likely to knit something that I see lots of photos of.  And sometimes I need to see other FOs - I'm another who hated the Tilted Duster at first, but has loved most of the finished ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NWPlatinum
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007 02:46:43 AM »

Oh, thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought.

I agree about the colours thing. It's one of the best aspects of knitting: seeing other people's interpretation of of a pattern is fascinating. And, like others have said, I've often dismissed a pattern out of hand, and then loved versions I've seen other people make. I guess those of you who can look at a pattern, see just the bare bones and design features, and impose your own style on it are lucky. I'm not so good at it myself.

Fit is the other issue. I look for things that have little to no ease. I find close-fitting things more flattering, but if a sample is styled to be looser-fitting, I'll sometimes pass on it, only to fall in love when I see someone's more fitted FO.

It's one of the most frustrating things about knitting- you can't go to the store and try it on, so you have no clue whether you'll look good in it until after you've invested all that time, effort and money. This is especially important in things like the Tilted Duster, where a novel construction means very few people will have an idea of what it looks like on their body type.

I guess it ultimately does just come down to taste. But, like Vickilicious,  I do like hearing the huge range of opinions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taylor Swift Rocks Out in Red on NYE
The Top Trends to Wear in 2013
Holiday Party Fashion Dos
How to Dress for the Office During the Summer
5 Best Pea Coats for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...