A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first carved rubber stamp for Letterboxing!  (Read 1747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shelichan

Fashion designer for hire in NYC!

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007 11:11:38 PM »

I must admit, I was completely inspired by WitchCatXeen - and I know now what Letterboxing is - and I *cant wait* to do it! Infact, living in the middle of nowhere NJ, I didnt think I would be able to find anything. Much to my surprise - thanks to letterboxing.org - there are at least 15 boxes that are within a half an hour from my house! And almost 5 that are no more than 15! Im very very excited, infact - Im waking up early tomorrow to go get a notebook, an inkpad, and go find one or two before my classes!

So without further delay, my first carved stamp. Carved from a Papermate brand "Pink Pearl" eraser. It is a turtle with a heart in the middle of its shell. I own a turtle (I had two, bless my other baby in heaven), and I absolutely love them. I wanted my stamp to represent me and what I like and love. So I combined my love for turtles, with my love for cute things, and made this. Just done with a plain old razor blade! Cheesy

Oh and the scratches within the image are from where I "sketched" with a needle first. I didnt think they would show up when stamped, but with my "sharpie ink" test (I dont have an ink pad!) they did, so I just added more so it would look like a design on a turtles shell!

Please tell me what you think!

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a stamp book of my own? I kind of want to make one so it will look really pretty (at least prettier than a sketch book!). Ive never done any work with paper or book making!

(REMOVED UNAVAIABLE IMAGE)

I cant wait to tell two of my friends tomorrow! Theyre really crafty people but most of all they LOVE nature and nature like things - and searching for letterboxes using poems and riddles for clues, going off on trails to find them, and crafts? Right up their alley!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008 06:37:46 AM by knitting_nyxxie - Reason: (REMOVED UNAVAIABLE IMAGE) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Childrenswear & womenswear designer for hire in NYC!
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007 11:32:10 PM »

oh wow, I forgot all about letterboxing.

I think it would be really fun, but I'm in D.C. and I have a feeling homeland security isn't so into this sort of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelichan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 12:12:35 AM »

I think it would be really fun, but I'm in D.C. and I have a feeling homeland security isn't so into this sort of thing.

Hahah! I would imagine that having someone there find one without knowing what it was, could be EPIC. I can just imagine the bomb squad all sneaking up around a tupperware, everybody scared shitless... then finally popping it open and jumping back... to find a notebook and stamp.

EPIC I TELL YOU.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007 12:55:11 AM »

ROFLMAO

"A Craftster Tale of Epic Proportions", or "How I Discovered How Cranky Bomb Squad Guys Can Be"

Think of it as providing a valuable homeland security readiness exercise... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
Shelichan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 01:05:58 AM »

Bweeee Im so excited. Hahaha Imma nerd. I had this pink hardcover spiral 8.5"x11" notebook (very lightly lined) that I just HAD to buy on clearance from Borders ($3!). So I had this... and I had no idea what to do with it. I just decorated it with my Japanese deco tape, some Japanese flake stickers, and then... haha I dug out my jewelry making supplies (kinda ironic cause I have NO idea how to make jewelry) and I found these turtle keychain charms I had, some findings, a keychain ring/chain/clip. And I made a turtle keychain to attach to one of the spirals! Then - I had this little gift box. Holographic silver. I put two holes in the top, put an O ring through it, then used the clip on the keychain to clip the box to it. The box holds my stamp, and the box is held shut by a ribbon tied around it! Its SO cute. Haha. And Im going to take pictures when I find the boxes, since my book is so big I can print up a picture to put in there, and write a little description of what happened! Im happy. n.n
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gooble Gobble
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008 12:46:18 AM »

Yay! more letterboxers, I'm a huge letterboxing addict.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 12:47:37 AM »

I'm so glad you found that site! I started doing it after I left DC. Too bad...I think it would be cool to meet a bomb squad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pocketwatch
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013 11:56:58 PM »

Okay, I know 2007 was years ago, but DC is a really fun place for letterboxing because everything is already a monument with a brass plaque and a docent, a lore. I especially recommend the one at the Botanic Garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Challenges
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...