A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1920s Halloween Party Help!  (Read 1009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShdwShifter
« on: August 21, 2008 07:55:48 PM »

So my friends and I are putting together this shindig.  All the gents are wearing pint striped suits and the girls can either be flappers/cocktail dresses or the gangstas girl things.

So far we have a speak easy (illegal bar) thats serving mock-tinis and anything thing else.

But what should the Invites and the rest of the house look like?  Budget isnt really a problem, but everyone is going to be under 21/still in high school.  Music will be just normal, because as much as i love listening to the era of music, my friends do not. Oh well

thanks for any advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ugh, go suck it.
Vladimyr
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008 09:20:41 AM »

Invitations:

The invitation could look like one of the little secret windows you see on the speakeasy doors. You know, the little door where the thug opens it and asks for the password or secret word. Something like this:

http://www.wghwoodworking.com/current_work/speakeasy_grill.jpg

Have someone in a gangster costume act as a "doorman". Before you let your guests in, ask them for the secret password you wrote in the invitation. If I were going to make the invitiation I'd use brown card stock, folder over and cut to shape. Use some black construction paper to make the grill on the door, or draw it on in black marker. Also use a fine tipped black marker to do the wood grain if you want to go nuts with it. Then when you open it have the necessary info, in 1920's lingo, with the secret password used to gain entrance.

For 1920's era slang:

http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm

You might use empty bottles to serve your drinks from. I'd remove the labels and make your own hand written labels to make them look bootleg. Or, you might just serve all drinks from (or even in) mason jars to add to the bootleg liquor look.

Black and white would probably be the best colors to use for table cloths or other decorations.

I think I'm tapped out...good luck and have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShdwShifter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008 02:33:59 PM »

thanks for the invite and all the other ideas! they will be used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ugh, go suck it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrities Love This Treatment For Head-to-Toe Sexy Skin
Cheerleading: See Gurl Try
4 Summer Style Tips
Does Wearing Red Make You Sexier?
Jennifer Lopez Inspired Elegant Updo Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...