A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: considering moving up there  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

casslyra
« on: September 17, 2007 05:03:33 PM »

hi my husband and i are thinking about moving to british columbia, more than likely the vancouver area but i thought i would post this in the other areas as well to see what places you guys have to recommend. my problem is he wants to move to the middle of no where. seriously, i dont know what it is like up there but three hour drive to go to the grocery store sounds fine to him, but who has to do the grocery shopping, me. we live in the u.s. my family is here and everything so i am nervous, i hear it is harder to find things up there, is that true? i have also heard both it is cheaper up there and i have heard it is more expenseive and that the health insurance is free (i have heard all of this from us people who have never lived up there). is housing expensive? which areas are less populated but close by to cities. please help me just get an idea about it, so i can contribute more to our conversations. ihave been to victoria and i loved it up there it is beautiful. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hot_toddygal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007 09:40:01 AM »

Whoah.

So I'm not sure how long this thread will last as it's not craft related ( I seem to recall something here somewhere about crafter topics/threads trying to remain strictly craft)

..but it as it may remain undetected and my spidey sense is tingling- I have to ask- is there something else going on with the hubby?  I just find it strange that he wants to move without thought to what seems to be a move to alienate you from your connections.

Not that moving  to another place isn't always a bad thing- it's just the motivation I'm questioning.

..about BC-yes, it's beautiful, but it's * really* expensive there, and unless you already have a job offer ( generally in TV or animation) already I don't suggest doing a blind move and hoping for the best- too many folks I know that go out that way to "chase the powder"                   (snowboarders) end up couch surfing & coming back pretty quick..You don't mention how far "up here" is- but in terms of cost of living, say in Nunavut , you go you can indeed end up paying rediculous amounts for staples & supplies, like $10 for a loaf bread- due to the high freight costs.

And I don't know what your plans for citizenship are, but if you want to partake in the Health care system(which we pay for in taxes) I believe you would have to become permanent citizens, and again it'd be better have to have a job offer I believe- check with our immigration dept.

Really you have to do your homework but cost of living anywhere is relative to your income
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007 09:41:28 AM by hot_toddygal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007 08:17:10 AM »

Well I'm not sure this is an appropriate place for that, as BC may as well be on the other side of the world to me Wink (It's almost like asking someone from New York how California is)

BUT yep, some of our health insurance is paid for. . . but as citizens. And the cheaper up there/more expensive up there/harder to find things is entirely dependent on exactly where you're living!

Some stuff that there is in the US just isn't in Canada (but some stuff in Canada isn't in the US). If you're moving to the middle of nowhere ANYWHERE, it will be harder to find things! (Like.. as you said... groceries).

If you actually move to Vancouver, it's a pretty big serious city! You may want to search on the internet for areas nearby that aren't as populated. .. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Image Processor in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Rename a File in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Work with the Metadata Panel in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Move and Delete Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...