A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: considering moving there...  (Read 1062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

casslyra
« on: September 17, 2007 05:02:07 PM »

hi my husband and i are thinking about moving to british columbia, more than likely the vancouver area. my problem is he wants to move to the middle of no where. seriously, i dont know what it is like up there but three hour drive to go to the grocery store sounds fine to him, but who has to do the grocery shopping, me. we live in the u.s. my family is here and everything so i am nervous, i hear it is harder to find things up there, is that true? i have also heard both it is cheaper up there and i have heard it is more expenseive and that the health insurance is free (i have heard all of this from us people who have never lived up there). is housing expensive? which areas are less populated but close by to cities. please help me just get an idea about it, so i can contribute more to our conversations. ihave been to victoria and i loved it up there it is beautiful. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 12:24:18 AM »

Het, do you still have questions? Where is it that you are considering moving to? Specifically....... BC is bigger than California.
Healthcare is covered by the government as long as you have been living here for a year. (For most of us that isn't an issue)
Most companies have helthcare suplementation as well.
It doesn't work up here like your system, where you go to the hospital and leave with a bill, unless you are getting something done that you don't need.
Housing is pretty comparable as far as I can tell, I live by the Washington State border about a half hour from Bellingham..... and housing seems similar.
As for finding things being hard, well I guess that depends on what you are trying to find. We don'e have Caron simply soft up here but there are plenty of yarns to compensate. There is a Wal-mart 15 minuites from my house. I have friends who live up north and the longest they have to drive for that luxury is 2 hours...... it's kinda dependent on what you want to find. Cheesy all relative!
So let me know if you want more info. I know this post is a bit old but I hope it helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
casslyra
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 06:08:50 PM »

thank you for being so nice and helpful, i put this up in some of the other areas of canada because i was interested in other areas of canada. maybe i am being sensitive but i found them to be somewhat rude. we are still considering it but it wouldnt be for a few years probably, want to save up some money. thank you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 09:31:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about that.....rudeness from others.
I'm glad to help! I love where I live, I guess I assume everyone else will too! Wink
Let me know (even in a while) if you have any other questions or whatever, I'd still be happy to help Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
sandy810
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 05:36:15 PM »

hey,
i promise bc isn't underpopulated- at least vancouver isn't Tongue
i've lived in burnaby all my life, it's nice here. it does rain a lot though.
health is free- the government pays for most of it.
housing is VERY expensive. you can't get a house in a nice area for under like 600,000.
as for finding things, it's not too hard. you just gotta not be afraid to look.
if you want to live in a less populated slightly cheaper city, try mission, aldergrove or cloverdale- there finding things for crafty endeavers WILL be harder to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Young Ginger
What is Thai Basil
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...